Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Cold fronts & cut-off low - 17-20th Dec (Obs)

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Re: Victoria: Cold fronts & cut-off low - 17-20th Dec (Obs)

Post by rikjpool »

Rob ill send you a inbox message as to not clog the board up. Nice pics by the way. :)

Got a brief shower through Bendigo a while ago, but over pretty quickly. However very isolated. You could see it pouring down 100meters away and be standing in clear air... wierd feeling.,
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

You will need to use manual exposure and keep the exact same settings (theres also a mode for auto exposure lock) for each shot so you get consistent exposure, I use full manual exposure pretty much 99% of the time when shooting though. My 17-85mm lens is not that good for pano's as it has distortion and loss of quality on the sides at the lower end 17-40mm, a ideal lens for pano's would be a fixed lens something around 30-50mm.
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Nice shots guys! was really nice to see something come of this cell after watching it from my office at work in the CBD from its early stage through to a similar stage that would correlate with Robs pics but obviously my view was not quite the same by then lol. As I posted earlier, watched it from the Avalon area before it reached the bay and could see the initial updraft tops which although not that tall were quite strong. It back built a bit before heading over the bay where from my vantage (and on radar) I could see it was bowing out a bit and taking on a nice shelf structure. I said to John on the phone that it would look great from the Chaddy rooftop or out near Dandynong and I think I was right! :D

Brad
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

LOL @ Meso being banned. I'll get right onto it :hysteria:

I've posted a sticky in Vic BW regarding photos here. In a nutshell, for major events we want to make things as easy as possible for people to log on and get current information without waiting for photos to load. We would rather people post clickable thumbnails of photos if possible, particularly during major weather events.

It is worth noting that members can change their own preferences to NOT have photos showing, so it's probably worthwhile for those chasing (or on download limits or experiencing internet issues due to download size) to go into their User Preferences and choose not to view photos.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

pictures around 6pm
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Just got home from work so missed the action here, thanks to you guys who posted pics. obviously that cell went close to me weather station had 12mm's for the day with 10mm's in ten minutes between 5.40pm and 5.50pm. Wind gusted up to 30knots with that storm and temp dropped from 19c just before the storm to 13.7c just after the storm. Brings my YTD to 995mm's. should go past 1000 in the next day or so.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Looks like you're going to get some more down there soon too, Dane, plus another cell heading towards my family up at Eildon (though looking at radar it might just miss them?) :D
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Nice heavy shower coming through here as I type! :raining:
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Hey Michelle nice pics and taken at 100ISO in what I suspect was low light! the 7D can obviously handle it, good stuff :)

Here are some low quality shots I took with my phone cam of todays storm looking south east:

mutley
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by mutley »

Unfortunately was at work this evening a missed the event. 3mm here, and Wife reported heavy hail for 5minutes @ O'Neil road.

Thanks for taking time to submit the picts
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

AUS_Twisted wrote:You will need to use manual exposure and keep the exact same settings (theres also a mode for auto exposure lock) for each shot so you get consistent exposure, I use full manual exposure pretty much 99% of the time when shooting though. My 17-85mm lens is not that good for pano's as it has distortion and loss of quality on the sides at the lower end 17-40mm, a ideal lens for pano's would be a fixed lens something around 30-50mm.
I find this is not the case at all - I go for Aperture priority. You can't use the same exposure because of varying contrast scenarios throughout the pano.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

schitzengiggles wrote:
AUS_Twisted wrote:You will need to use manual exposure and keep the exact same settings (theres also a mode for auto exposure lock) for each shot so you get consistent exposure, I use full manual exposure pretty much 99% of the time when shooting though. My 17-85mm lens is not that good for pano's as it has distortion and loss of quality on the sides at the lower end 17-40mm, a ideal lens for pano's would be a fixed lens something around 30-50mm.
I find this is not the case at all - I go for Aperture priority. You can't use the same exposure because of varying contrast scenarios throughout the pano.
Well your going to end up with different lighting throughout your shots creating bad joins which would then require more editing and or wont look right or be inconsistent. If you want to rely on using automatic aperture priority settings depending on metering mode you will not end up with consistent photos to blend together (especially with storms as the light can vary a lot) What I explained above are the very basics, I've used multiple exposures before where lighting varies (and I'm not talking HDR either) which have been manually put together.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Steve is right Ryan, I've learn't this the hard way...

This pano was takin in Av mode...

As you can see it's underexposed on the right hand side creating a "bad join", because the shutter wasn't open as long as the other shots that made up the pano.

Pretty sure I could have avoided that by locking in the exposure after the first shot.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Certainly are Hillybilly, no cricket today I wouldn't think. Poor little bloke played a practice match last week, his first game back after a broken finger, and was retired (four boundaries!), so he was really looking forward to playing a "real" game this week, but it's not to be. We're just catching the edge of a cell heading off towards the Dandenongs, but more coming in behind it by the looks.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Was that Erie golden glow around 6, then it come down.
7mm tropical downpour like,
except 12.1 c down to 11.9 while typing.
rain eased then little spurts.
91mm MTD
1001hpa
88rh No Wind.
Worth being woken for this.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Getting very dark and rumbles overhead :D
S
SC.
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by SC. »

Heavy rain before and four rumbles so far, building nicely out west. :D
Matt

http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Got a quick-fire 6mm yesterday afternoon from a nice little storm. Well that's what the Minister of War & Finance advised me!
Had a really good view of the change from Waterfront City (Docklands), with some decent lowerings. 8-)

Family Christmas gig at home today, may it belt down! :P ;)
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

3.5mm being on the north end, 1 doz hail stones, very heavy big fat drops,
Lily you should have got it a little heavier than here. and anyone south of me.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

10 mm of steady rain, not showers, here this morning and climbing. From just several hours out, a poor pick by all the models & the BOM forecast for this area. A reminder to me that the weather can still surprise!