Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Cold Fronts: August 22 - 26

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Cold Fronts: August 22 - 26

Post by Geoff »

Phew, exhausted! The sunny start to the day didn't last too long but at least it stayed DRY!!! Had a HUGE bonfire that has been building up for the last 3 months, and cleared a big area of debris, now it can rain all it wants tonight. I wonder if hillybilly got his onion weed sprayed at last??? :?
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

Just saw the national loop sat pic.
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/national ... loop.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was a bit surprised at how cold the air looked.
No ones talking about this cold front?
Looks cold..
Ch 9 weather forecast saying the cold front to come through tonight.
Snow falls above 1000m tonight.
A good portion of the cold pool of atmosphere, appears to be pushing in from the S/west and looks to be arriving on the coast atm and pushing through much of VIC.
The synoptic indicating the cold pool dropping south overnight??? hmmm?

But looking at the sat pic the cold pool looks to be strongly pushing toward the N/.east
maybe a bit wetter or colder than forecast for tomorrow?

Ch9 long range forecast showing next Thursday very cold in Melbourne.Max of 13 deg c
Another cold pool and more snow.?

Here on the flat plains , It has been cold with lots of light showers today.
Still not many hours of sunlight here at all
The soil not starting to warm yet at all!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Some continuing good reports of snow falls in the Alps with more to come
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/snow ... nter/22309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Lily » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:59 pm wrote:
Lily wrote:Gee, you had heaps of hail there compared to us here! We had nothing like that, just a few pinging off the picnic table here and there lol
Were you talking about my photos?
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Given this cold dry air and a High Pressure system in our neck of the woods, there could be some decent frost about Monday morning - particularly inland Vic and in NE Vic.

The last couple of systems have really delivered bucket loads of powder snow to some of the ski resorts. It's funny how most Olympic years deliver the goods, especially in August: 1984, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012.... almost like clockwork.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Light/ moderate rain passing through here, wasn't expecting anything! Probably on a mm or two.
Go the bombersss!
M
Monbulkian
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Monbulkian »

9mm of rain here to 9am. A lot acheived here today- got the lawns mowed, veggie garden ready and the burning done. All that is left is the weeds incl. onion weeds :? in the garden beds
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Pea soup fog here in Ferny Creek now
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Some decent wind, and showers in Upwey,
Burwood hwy very wet on trip home specially Upper Gully where that water sits in front of the Middle.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Yep, 9mm here too so far. Another sunny cool start to the day, hopefully those coastal showers stay down there and give us another fine day today. BTW, hillybilly and Karl, next weekend is looking fine to me going by all the main models, a warm northerly flow with a change not until late Monday.?
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Would the next 'event' be the cold front on Wednesday?
Go the bombersss!
typhoon29
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by typhoon29 »

another 3mm overnight. Tuesday night into Wednesday looks like another round of wintry stuff. What do the experts reckon? I am going for showers/storms developing Tuesday evening in the west with a weak upper trough, Wednesday a band of rain maybe another squall line of storms with a cold front. How does that sound?
Ballarat, Home of the Anti-Thunderstorm Shield!
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

I know many of us on here don't regard the Melbourne AWS, but the temperature rose a full degree in 10 minutes before dropping back down again; 14.1c at 11:30, 15.1c at 11:40, now at 14.6c. Sunny break, cars stopping at traffic lights lol? 13 here
Go the bombersss!
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Nice to be back home after being on Holidays driving up the East coast the past 2 weeks! Brisbane and Sydney are great Cities as are the towns inbetween like Coffs Harbour, Kiama, Eden, Taree, Wollongong, Cararita Beach (Near Tweeds Heads) just to name a few but nothing beats being home! I noticed how dry it is North of Sydney, Brisbane has hardly had a drop over the past 7 weeks. But once you get to Goulburn and go further SW you notice how green it gets and plenty of water laying in paddicks between Albury & Wangaratta. Copped 3 storms while I was away 1 in Brissy and 2 in Sydney last Thursday and gale force winds between Newcastle and Sydney last Thursday car swaying on the road. Glad to be back though :)
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

It sure was Rivergirl I remember attending the Torch Relay for the Sydney Olympics (at Emerald and again at Healesville), as well as some of the events during the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games (athletics at the MCG on March 21st and shooting at the Melbourne Gun Club in Yering on March 24th)... meeting/seeing athletes whom you normally only see/hear about on TV or on the Internet or read about in books/magazines/newspapers is an awesome experience
I took my girls then aged 1 & 3 to the torch relay at Emerald too. Have some photo's somewhere will have to dig them out.
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Moo said: I took my girls then aged 1 & 3 to the torch relay at Emerald too. Have some photo's somewhere will have to dig them out
I remember going to Sassafras to watch Jesse Martin (the young sailor that sailed around the world) run with the torch. I took a lot of photos of him and put them into an album for him and his mum Louise. They lived in the same street at the time.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

31mm from the most recent systems in total. A couple more showers today but only a further 1mm.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

All it took was one dry weekend (during daylight hours) and I got more done this weekend than in all the rest of them put together through the whole winter! Need to go back to work tomorrow for a rest, lol.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

It's now the fourth wettest winter here since at least 1974. :) Another 19.3mm total from the event covered by this thread, also only the fourth winter since at least 1974 where we have exceeded 100m for each month. There have been longer streaks of 100mm plus months covering the winter/spring period but excluding June/July.

It's so great to see high rainfall occurring over the months when it is supposed to. It's one thing to get high summer rainfall but to get it in winter is better for the general environment here. Also great to see frequent moderate rain events and showery days rather than just a few deluges and some drizzly days. It's better to get the rain steadily rather than violently in one hit.

As for today, another mediocre cloudy day with about 10 minutes of sun. It was sunny at 9am but after that it clouded over very quickly. It's about time we got a decent weekend. I don't remember the last sunny weekend, seriously it has been dire! :o
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

hillybilly wrote: Could be an early spring heatwave the following week with 850T progged above 10C, but a long way out.
Even further out but UNISYS is getting excited by possible low level snow to follow on 5th Sept!
http://weather.unisys.com/gfsx/gfsx.php ... on=au&t=9p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M
ManilaPlaya87
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ManilaPlaya87 »

hillybilly » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:30 pm wrote:
hillybilly wrote:Yep Geoff, looking fine and mild. Could be an early spring heatwave the following week with 850T progged above 10C, but a long way out.
But have a look at the models behind the weekend heatwave. Phwoar i'm just getting a sti**y thinking about it. September 5 would definetely be an appropriate date if you can remember 1995. It looks like the most vicious system of the year