Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Cold Fronts: August 22 - 26

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Cold Fronts: August 22 - 26

Post by Macedonian »

It was snowing on Mt Macedon this morning stratospear. Last night was our first night in our new house up on the mount. We moved in yesterday afternoon during a hail storm and i woke up early this morning to see snowfalling. Nice to lie in bed with a cuppa and watch the snow. It was on and off from 6am to about 9am, no settling just flurries. Was a brilliant welcome to mountain living. Bloody cold though :D and muddy :(

It is freezing up here at the mo, 3.5C under mist, spitting sleet and breezy.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Hey, congrats on finally getting into your new home Macedonian. Feels like forever, bet you're elated to finally be in and what an awesome weather welcome! :D Where's the pics (hint, hint!).

Not much to report here, just a bit of rain, no hail, pretty cold. Just back from shopping, car temp gauge was hovering around the 9 & 10 degree mark.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Thanks Lily, i will put some pics up soon, im not real good at it. My phone wouldnt capture the snow this morning, useless ol nokia.time for an update!
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Macedonian » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:56 pm wrote:
Macedonian wrote:Thanks Lily, i will put some pics up soon, im not real good at it. My phone wouldnt capture the snow this morning, useless ol nokia.time for an update!
Get yourself a Nokia 808 pureview. Best camera phone on the market, and is perfect for taking those weather event moments. :D

Been very windy here with virtually no rain all day. Going to be an interesting ride home heading straight into those North Westerly winds.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

Gday everyone! Sorry that it's been a while since I've posted, not much to contribute lately and I've been so busy :P

The past few days sure have been wild, a sign that we're now moving into the early stages of the spring/summer period when Victoria's weather can turn erratic, even potentially dangerous, as cold air from the south collides with increasingly hot air from up north :)

I was at Federation Square for the Victorian Welcome Home event for the Australian Olympic Team on Wednesday. Despite the gusty northerlies and the chill, I couldn't help noticing how warm the Sun. Checking the Bureau of Meteorology and Weatherzone websites after I returned to RMIT University, I was so happy when I saw that Melbourne has had its first 20C+ maximum in 13 weeks (21.2C at about 2PM in the City, 21.8C at my house)... Milestone Number 1 for the Warm Season of 2012-2013 :D

And yes Storm Season 2012-2013 is up-and-running. I caught the rainy remnants of a thunderstorm on the night of July 12th-13th 2012 while up in Corryong, but the thunder and lightning stopped well before the storm reached me - still, as far as I'm concerned, that's Storm Number 1 for the season.

Yesterday's storm here in Melbourne (Storm Number 2) would have to be one of the best 'non-cold air' winter thunderstorms I've seen - the best such 'warm-season style' winter thunderstorm for me would have to be July 23rd 2006 (two to three hours of torrential rain, pea-sized hail, lots of lightning including at least three dangerously close CGs in that storm).

I couldn't believe how massive and well-defined some of the cumulonimbus clouds were yesterday, and the amount of clear air there was ahead of the squall line, brought back memories of the November 9th 2011 when the resulting supercell thunderclouds must've been punching 40,000 feet or more, I doubt yesterday's storm clouds were THAT big, but seriously they were very impressive, especially for winter :D
Geoff » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:24 pm wrote:
Geoff wrote:Looks like we've got a new stormshield happening at Mt. Dandenong, it's splitting and going either side!!! :(
No stormshield in the Belgrave area where I live, yet another direct/near-direct hit for me. The storm only lasted approximately 10-20 minutes, and the rain was nowhere near as heavy as it was on April 22nd 2012 so no problems with blocked, leaking gutters this time round, a bit of gusty wind and some small (pea-sized) hail too, plus one very close CG and almost-instantaneous thunderclap.

Good thing the storm passed just as I was leaving for a dinner out in Northcote, otherwise I would've had to wait in the rain and lightning at the bus stop. At least I was treated to a gorgeous rainbow when the Sun came out. Plenty more showers and thunderstorms during the train trip from Belgrave to the City but thankfully the activity died off just as I got off at Parliament around 6:30PM to take the 86 RMIT Bundoora Tram to Northcote. The tram was delayed due to traffic congestion from the rain apparently, any reports of flooding and/or wind damage?

I don't have too many pics of yesterday's weather unfortunately as I was busy all day, but what I do have will be on my Flickr soon. Oh and I should mention that there was a beautiful sunrise yesterday morning! :)

2.1mm of rain at 9AM today, bringing my August 2012 total to 92.7mm. Currently at a rather raw 9.7C :P
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Only another 2 mm here so far today which is surprising given it's seemed quite showery - maybe the rain is blowing straight over the top of the rain gauge!
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Macedonian » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:41 pm wrote:
Macedonian wrote:It was snowing on Mt Macedon this morning stratospear. Last night was our first night in our new house up on the mount. Bloody cold though :D and muddy :(
Looking forward to seeing some photo's and congratulations on the new Home How exciting and snow to top it off.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Hi everyone,

Here's my photos of the storm that hit Melbourne Yesterday. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 53ec3bf2e6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I've set them to public, so anyone should be able to see them (even if you're not on Facebook).
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Gee, you had heaps of hail there compared to us here! We had nothing like that, just a few pinging off the picnic table here and there lol
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Macedonian wrote:Last night was our first night in our new house up on the mount. We moved in yesterday afternoon during a hail storm and i woke up early this morning to see snowfalling.
So apart from that Chris, has anything of note happened in the last day or so? :laughing:
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

A littler version of yesterday arvo with just the rain, wind and a beautiful rainbow. Squally now 70kph.

Onion weed I have studied.

It sends down a root, forms a bulb,sends down a root, forms another bulb.

The record for me was a string of bulbs, one every 4 inches or so. The form just below trowel level, very clever. Now the hole was 4 feet deep, thats a string of whatsit 12 bulbs. Now each bulb contains multiples of nine mini bulbs from nine to a max of 36 depending on its age. So each stem of onion weed you pull out can have from err 108 to 436 individual little bombs attached to it waiting to go off.

The good news is that you will have a cheap hobby for life.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Noticed a good photo on facebook of a road covered in Hail, Im presuming it was Emerald Cockatoo direction from last night.
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Cold and windy with lots of showers today (no hail though), 3.2mm since 9AM bringing my August 2012 total to 95.9mm... almost at the 100mm mark :D

I got to briefly see and photograph a stunning double rainbow at around 5:20PM as the Sun came out following a heavy shower, a nice treat on a day that was otherwise better spent indoors :)
typhoon29
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by typhoon29 »

windy day here, 3mm of showers. The bulk of the goods went through Bass Straight. Next event Wednesday, similar show???? Lining up as one of the wettest winters for a while. 136,108, ~80mm at the moment. Last Winter 47,83 56mm.
Ballarat, Home of the Anti-Thunderstorm Shield!
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

Cold and sometimes wet and windy here today

Some great reports of snow falls on the VIC snow fields
Livinia ch 9 news said Falls creek had 100mm in one week

The ski forum is reporting good falls especially at Mt hotham as well
Here is a snap from Mt hotham from the forum

http://forums.ski.com.au/forums/ubbthre ... 35&page=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Well, well, well! Blue sky and sunshine on a Saturday morning? I can't believe it! I'm off out into the garden to make hay while the sun shines, and I won't be back until it's raining again! :D
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Have fun making hay Geoff :P :P

Wow thats a nice lot of snow there crikey. Nice pics there Ben. Macedonian I can't think of anything better than waking up to snow in your new house :) aussiestormfreak that would have been cool to see the athletes. I remember going in 2000 after the Sydney Olympics.
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

We got a surprising 7mm here for the week, whereas the Mangalore Airport station only got 2.6mm over the same period. The ground is soaked just like it was this time two years ago. Hoping we don't get the big one soon.
A
Alexia
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Alexia »

another 8mm rain yesterday. MTD 67mm ave. is 95mm really hoping we do not make it.
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Rivergirl » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:25 am wrote:
Rivergirl wrote:Have fun making hay Geoff :P :P

Wow thats a nice lot of snow there crikey. Nice pics there Ben. Macedonian I can't think of anything better than waking up to snow in your new house :) aussiestormfreak that would have been cool to see the athletes. I remember going in 2000 after the Sydney Olympics.
It sure was Rivergirl ;) I remember attending the Torch Relay for the Sydney Olympics (at Emerald and again at Healesville), as well as some of the events during the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games (athletics at the MCG on March 21st and shooting at the Melbourne Gun Club in Yering on March 24th)... meeting/seeing athletes whom you normally only see/hear about on TV or on the Internet or read about in books/magazines/newspapers is an awesome experience :D

3.2mm at 9AM today... was expecting a lot more given how heavy some of the showers were yesterday but then again they were brief, localised and fast-moving