Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC: Low Pressure System (10/2-12/2 2012)

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
O
OHMegga
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: VIC: Low Pressure System (10/2-?)

Post by OHMegga »

Well that is definitely rain and thunder and lightning here in Sale township. Roads and gutters starting to overflow as I was driving home. Be interesting to see how much the Auto weather station at the RAAF base gets, its out of town a bit. Weatherzone radar has the Sale area in yellow and red rain rate.
C
Caroline
New User
Reactions:

Post by Caroline »

Radar looks intense. We've been hearing rumbles for around forty five minutes, starting to get infrequent lightning now as it approaches us.
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Had plenty of thunder and lightning here and but on the edge of most of it at the moment, 2mm so far but radar looks great for here. :D

Rhino. :) :)
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

Another dissapointing afternoon after so much promise.All we got was a bit of wind and a bit of dribble.Been all around us and radar showing nothing more.Maybe it will be our turn next time.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Victoria Regional Office
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - MELBOURNE AREA

for DAMAGING WIND, FLASH FLOODING and LARGE HAILSTONES

For people in parts of the
Inner and
Northern Local Warning Areas.
Issued at 4:02 pm Friday, 10 February 2012.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 4:05 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Greensborough and Mill Park.
They are forecast to affect Craigieburn, Heidelberg and Reservoir by 4:35 pm and Broadmeadows, Doncaster and Preston by 5:05 pm.
Damaging winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* secure any loose objects in the vicinity of your home.
* keep away from creeks and drains.
* do not drive vehicles through flooded areas.
* stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* if you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* listen to the radio for storm updates
* switch off your computer and electrical appliances
The next warning is due to be issued by 5:05 pm.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for the East Gippsland, North Central, North East and parts of the Central, South West, Northern Country, West and South Gippsland and Wimmera districts.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at http://www.bom.gov.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or call 1300 659 217 . The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.

Source: http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV65752.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Damn it, storms firing off right over Bendigo. Hurry up 5:15!
thunderhead
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by thunderhead »

Looking at the radar, the cell near Wallan seems to be splitting - left and right.
East Camberwell - storm free zone
T
Twiggy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Twiggy »

Its fading out before it gets to us :( Unless it changes its mind? Damn, I was looking forward to some rain and a little thunder. Its very black looking SE over Bendigo!! And we are not that far away, but alas!!!!! Nothing for us I am afraid :(
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Be interesting to see how this system develops overnight and if nocturnal cooling will enhance things, could see some areas get real probs overnight if bands of heavy rain is concentrated in one area. Would be some areas in west central areas with 50mm+ already today.

t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

Doppler looks a little strange and scattered to me, on the outer north area is there a wind change going thru? Probably a stupid question but if I don't ask...
B
BigBen
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by BigBen »

Wow, looks like the wallan storm just merged with a new one that was forming, big black core near Lancefield, looks nasty.
Instability
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Instability »

Well, finished work early today (around 2-ish) and went on a mini-chase.

I headed up towards Lilydale when I saw a cell rapidly develop, but then the top separate from the rest of the updraft (damn bigest turkey I have ever seen). I headed towards Yarra Glen to see the updraft under this continue to pulse upwards. By the time I hit Yarra Glen the static on the AM radio was going nuts, but was not seeing too many CG's coming out of what was now a large dark base to the west.

I was going to head across to Eltham, but saw the cell develop a nice dark core pretty much right over the road I had to drive down, so took a diversion back to the south. Bad move, as the cell was again between pulses and I probably would have got a clear run through. I went back down through Ringwood and up through to Warrandyte, but unfortunately the cell (which was getting bigger with every pulse) started to speed up in a NW direction.

I ran out of time and had to turn for home, but saw some great CG's as it headed towards Wallan. I don't think we will be seeing too much south of the divide tonight so glad I went for the drive this afternoon :)

Rog.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

No storms for here :x
Go the bombersss!
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

so what is the technical reason why they are not favouring the melbourne area but the other areas...what is different?

will we get any rain...not a drop here so far
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Just to our South it's going nuts (constant thunder). But not really moving. Region around Harcourt/Sutton Grange is really copping it but it just needs to be nudged Northwards by the cold upper flow to make it here in Bendigo.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

I'm hoping to see storms here in Templestowe overnight. atm there's no rain at all and I'm at a friends house so would like them to come later.
T
Twiggy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Twiggy »

Would really appreciate for someone to let me know if something will "explode" here!" Looks to be coming over north from bendigo, looks dark but nothing on radar. I have that excited feeling that something will happen, but you just never know :S :D
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Geez the bums going to fall out of these clouds above me soon I think, just been sitting there and developing with thunder to my east. So close but so far it feels.

Last edited by Rhino on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Thunder is constant here, must be full of lightning. Goin for a drive to check it out! :D
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

Would i be correct in saying that nothing is going to happen in eastern suburbs today.