Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Troughy Period - 13th-16th November 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Troughy Period - 13th-16th November 2011

Post by aussiestormfreak »

3.2mm of rain in my gauge last night... was expecting a fair bit more given that we had quite a few heavy showers & thunderstorms sweep through overnight, but then again they were pretty fast-moving and localised so that probably explains why I didn't get a very significant 24-hour rainfall total :P
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

BOM think theres an outside chance of a storm again Tomorrow night so we shall wait and see.

Looks like I was wrong about the 24c
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Got woken at some hour last night by some decent flashes and bangs and was around a flash a minute going by what was coming out from around the curtains. Only last around 10 mins but there was decent booms but sleep deprivation kept me in bed so no photos from me but great photos there guys. :D

Rhino. :) :)
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Gees some solid convective showers South of Melb at the moment and through the Otways almost looking thundery
P
Pane
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pane »

G'day

Looks thundery to the nth of me too ATM

On another note whats the go with sat and Sunday? Bom prodicting rain at times?

Cheers
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

johnno » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:17 pm wrote:
johnno wrote:Gees some solid convective showers South of Melb at the moment and through the Otways almost looking thundery

Just noticed that too on the radar, this weather just keeps on giving!
Though no more storms as I am trying to go to sleep for me feeling a bit sleepy today.
Steve your photo's were fantastic love how in the first pic the bolt was right in the middle of the gap you were shooting how cooperative of it!!!!!
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

Yeah, I heard showers were in the forecast today but didn't think much of it to be honest... good thing I snatched up the camera anyway when I headed out to Belgrave, Upwey, and Ferntree Gully around 3PM, they do look quite convective (albeit low-topped cumulus) and locally moderate/heavy. One passed through my area around 45 minutes ago as I was returning home, another one has just popped on radar just offshore Frankston & Carrum. Quite blustery out there too :)

Just saw the forecast for the next 24-48 hours, nice that another round of thunderstorms could be heading our way, although associated with rain periods. Given that it's supposed to hit 28C before the rain & storms arrive, any chance there might be some clear-air to help promote a bit of convection before it gets too cloudy? Otherwise I might have to settle for another possible after-dark lightning display or two (which I wouldn't mind) but I'd like some good daytime storms tossed in as well if possible... :)
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Apparently a clearing shower or two in 2011 translates to scattered showers and storms...Instability, and more importantly mositure, still there, and will continue for the next 10 days. Followed by the potential for a cold snap. Looking extremely good tomorrow night with abundant moisture still streaming up from the southern ocean.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
Duckey
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Duckey »

Just had a very heavy squally shower which lasted all of 3 mins. Must have developed pretty much overhead, as it was bright sunshine the whole time. Gone now, but all of a sudden the clouds are starting to tower up rapidly.
Storm Nerd!!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Yup, I just had to run in high heels across a cricket oval to get out of the downpour that appeared seemingly out of nowhere about half an hour ago. Well, can't have the hair getting frizzy now, can I? :laughing: All sunny again now :D
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

First time poster of photos on here, so excuse the mess.

The photo quality isn't as great because this is from my High Def Video Camera, but i thought I would share anyway. It is the same storms from last night.

The view is looking south from where I live. I have a very clear and long view so I was able to observe one cracker of a lighting display. It's always great when there's no obstructions.

Only 1mm of rain though.
Attachments
Looking towards Endeavour Hills
Lightning 4.jpg (156.22 KiB) Viewed 6973 times
LIghtning 3.jpg (129.35 KiB) Viewed 6973 times
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
rogeressig
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by rogeressig »

My filming of lighting in highspeed mode. late sunday night, early monday morning.
[youtube]mgLXbM_Sm54[/youtube]
B
Bellarine
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Bellarine »

That footage is awesome, and using a bit of music by Trent Reznor gets extra thumbs up from me :D

Cannot believe I didn't get up and take pics - actually I was having a decent asthma attack so that would be why ! Has to be the worst season I can remember for hayfever and asthma on a personal level....
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

Great pics and You Tube presentation.. Awesome , enjoying. 8-) :P

Walked into the pitch black dark paddock last night and pointed the mobile toward oncoming storm. Got the fright of my life as the dark paddock lit up like daylight.
A shame that You tube doesn't do slow motion.?
The orange light at the start is my torch. The lightning at the 2 sec mark. Don't blink or you'll miss it. LOL.. Just pause the movie at 2 seconds.
Thunder at 6 sec mark.
Worked out ..if sound travels at 330metres per second and thunder 4 seconds later.. ( 330m * 4 sec = The strike was about 1.3km away)
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT.. Just managed to do a print screen of the lightning from from the you tube video
PANE.. I had a look at wind forecast map and noticed a reasonable trough over Vic next weekend(19th/20th Nov). Reckon that will be our next event.

I am not feeling excited about the rest of this event for Maldon area anyway. Maybe a bit more interesting down south ?
Last edited by crikey on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
b
blackmamba
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by blackmamba »

I missed everything too. :(
Well, all the thunder and heavy rain. I saw two flashes of lightning, on my way to work this morning. About 5.30AM in Garfield.
thunderhead
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by thunderhead »

Nice work Rog. Some great captures in that footage. Where abouts were you located?
East Camberwell - storm free zone
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

thunderhead » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:44 pm wrote:
thunderhead wrote:Nice work Rog. Some great captures in that footage. Where abouts were you located?
I know that spot - it's the car park of Parkmore shopping centre in Keysborough looking towards Dandenong!
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P
Pane
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pane »

G'day

Bom forecasting late rain with possible storms this arvo, what do the numbers show? Are we in for a bit of a light show again?

Cheers
T
TheFishmanAU
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by TheFishmanAU »

It has that feeling again. Maybe later tonight. Friday, Saturday and Sunday I get a feeling about as well.
@The_FishmanAU is all I need to say.