Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Trough - showers/rain/storms - 6th-10th November

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Trough - showers/rain/storms - 6th-10th Novemb

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Quite an amazing event for most areas of the state, with the main band of thunderstorms now contracting over eastern districts. A large number of severe weather reports flooding into the BoM too, and good to see them relatively fine with the issuing of the warnings today! Periods of heavy rain should filter into Melbourne for the next little while now from the northwest.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
dagget
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dagget »

LIghtning and thunder all around to our south and east, looks like rain is gaining strenght as it passes round the mountain.
T
TheFishmanAU
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by TheFishmanAU »

That was great, the build up was fantastic.

The lightning was biblical.

The only thing missing was frequency of lightning.
@The_FishmanAU is all I need to say.
P
Pane
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pane »

G'day

Well a little disappointed with missing the main show of lightning but stoked with the rainfall, 28.5 in an hour.

If the picture above is what I can expect in the riverena bring it on.

I hope Eildon can get some rain!

Cheers
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Great photos everyone! Lots of nice shelf clouds.!

Steve, good to see you back on the horse! And in style too, thats a cracker! Wish I could get some coastal storm shots...

Apocalypse, that looks mean as! Nice catch with the hungry sign lol

My little chase was pretty uneventful, went out past Inglewood and all I could find was a structureless mess, nothing like the photos being posted here. Had storms merging from the north and south of me and I think that pretty much killed all the structure and features. Should have gone further north in hindsight, but oh well.

Got one shot to salvage the trip. Nothing special and a pretty boring landscape, but always good to capture a bolt!

Last edited by Meso on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

I noticed that the LIGHTENING was PINK also. and I was on the diet ginger beer with Soda.

Bucketed down but happy to have missed the earlier stuff that went over Dandenong.

Ah thats one Great PINK bolt...

Last edited by Australis(Shell3155) on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Duckey wrote: Just slopped through the inch of water sitting on our back lawn to the manual gague, 22mm!! Impressive, considering it was only in about 1/2 an hour
Yep, 22mm for me too from that one. Had to get up the ladder to unblock the downpipe into the tank, blocked with silver birch seeds. :roll:
Looks like another 2 hours of solid rain to come now, then on and off for the rest of the night.
Bit hard on yourself there Meso, it's a great capture, nice pink tinge to that one too.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

At least you got one, Meso :D Nice work! Love the timelapses Greensyboy, you had a good vantage point there. Steve, as always, brilliant shot! SRH, great stuff (you don't hear the language if you turn it down rofl!!!). I'm having trouble keeping up with all the great posts and photos/videos - I'm watching/looking at them all, as I'm sure many others are, it's just hard keeping up when the board's this busy. But a big THANKYOU to everyone for your contributions, been a great day :)

Eildon's looked to have missed the bulk of the rain so far.
T
TheFishmanAU
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by TheFishmanAU »

It took 18 months for us to get one like that, I'm hoping we can back up quicker this time and get another one like that before Australia Day.
@The_FishmanAU is all I need to say.
Duckey
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Duckey »

Yep, Meso's lightning pic clearly shows the pink! Phew, means I don't have to give up the red just quite yet.... :roffl:
Storm Nerd!!
c
cim85
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by cim85 »

Still raining heavily here with rumbles and a nice lightshow tracking slightly sth of my location. Not as intense as the first line that came through just over an hour ago - no horizontal hail slapping the windows this time around.
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by wolfcat »

and more of the "pink" lightning :-)

click for bigger :-)
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Duckey » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:04 pm wrote:
Duckey wrote:Yep, Meso's lightning pic clearly shows the pink! Phew, means I don't have to give up the red just quite yet.... :roffl:
Haha, I actually thought to myself while I was out that the lightning had quite a bit of color to it. Very bright too some of the strikes.
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

Clyve & I went chasing (he left home well before I made my excduses and finally escaped from work). We've got lots of photos of some pretty interesting storms up around Ballarat, Carisbrook area...but we have a power cut so you'll have to wait till the power's back on befoe we can download the photos for you - a few are up on Facebook..Clyve got lots of trees down, lots of damage between Maryborough and Newstead, roads blocked, and a probable tornado near the Grampians.....

I got lots of pics from the outside of the storms and some pretty good panoramas......currently lightning to our north. 16mm in Trentham, no power since 7pm.

Clyve & Jane
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Just looking at my AWS, we managed a rainfall rate of 185.8mm/hr this afternoon with the thunderstorm we received!! :o

Here is what came over our place this afternoon, it's a friends photo who was down on the coast in Warrnambool. I live east of Warrnambool just to the northeast of Port Campbell.
387697_2560302173514_1432850593_2851283_1151199263_n.jpg
387697_2560302173514_1432850593_2851283_1151199263_n.jpg (72.29 KiB) Viewed 8424 times
AWF SEVERE THUNDERSTORM ADVICE
Please use official warnings from the Bureau of Meteorology for professional services.

A line of severe thunderstorms continues to move across eastern central districts, stretching in a line about Echuca to Cape Liptrap. It is expected to continue into eastern districts tonight. Damaging winds, large hailstones and flash flooding all remain likely.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

I took these 3 pics... Storm approaching from the West at 6pm between Laverton and Footscray area

Storm rolling in 640pm signs of a severe gust front

Squall from the storm moveing over me rough as guts underneath very turbulent skies 645pm
Pengaz
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pengaz »

Some rain totals so far:

Iona - 40mm
Frankston North - 41mm
Cranbourne - 30mm
Oakleigh South - 28mm
Ringwood - 27mm
Cardinia Res. - 27mm

Those two nasty storms that skirted across the bay look like they really dumped their load in a very short time period... imagine if these had been moving just a tad slower, would have been carnage!!!
Loo
New User
Reactions:

Post by Loo »

Fantastic pics everyone.Amazing afternoon and evening. Hail up to walnut size here in Paky and lots of flash flooding. Havent seen a storm front look that good in a long time. Rotation was insane at one point and we were close to seeing something a bit magical. Didn't happen
Weatherzone Moderator.
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-09/s ... ne/3655988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instability
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Instability »

OK, yesterday I had my camera in the car, today I took it out :(

Coming down from Somerton where I now work (must change my profile) I had a beautiful view of 2 cells. Both had a nice roll cloud on the NE side with nice multiple towers going up under the anvil. This was at about 6:30, with one to the east of the city and the other to the west (i will have to review a radar loop at this time to see what their echo was like).

The cell to the west of the city was springing up new towers on the NW side of the main updraft, and in the rain-free area under one of these updrafts I saw a small and very brief ropey funnel cloud. The base was quite high at this stage before the wind change came through, so there was very little danger of it ever getting near the ground.

I think it was this western cell combined with the wind change that sent a nice roll cloud over me as I came through Bulleen - very nice but also very hard to concentrate on the road.

Some brilliant photos from the usual suspects - good work guys :thumbsup:

Rog.