Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Christmas Week Rain Event. December 23-25th 2009

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Christmas Week Rain Event. December 23-25th 2009

Post by johnno »

It wasn't a pathetic day here Andrew 10mm falling in a hurry all over this area and inner Western and inner NW burbs into the city 12mm there and inner eastern suburbs. Getting these heavy showers and storms developing behind a patchy rainband isn't something we haven't seen in yonks especially this side of town so I think the signs are good not sure 100% if we have shifted to a better and wetter climate yet I think after Summer we will know were we are more at.
Last 3 out of 4 months Melbourne (CBD) has had 50mm+ that hasn't happend since 2005 and even better in an El Nino season so not bad not bad at all.

By the way Merry Christmas all hope you all have a good night tonight and day tomorrow with your families :santa:
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

droughtbreaker wrote:Humidity doesn't stop things from drying out when it is accompanied by 35-40C temps.

Getting some solid drizzle now, hopefully it can continue all night because it is desperately needed to combat the very high evaporation rates likely towards the new year.

EDIT: Drizzle is heavy now and temperature is down to 14.9C
DB its Christmas :santa: cheer up, take a leaf out of Proteous' book and have a drink and chill out. Instead of bringing a fire storm, you might get a bit of Norfolk's humidity and have a ripper summer!!! :cheers:

Still persistant (but light) rain here atm, still warm and calm. :rainfall:

Sheez, after getting addicted to quotes last night, tonight its those bloody smilies :flower:
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Agree John. The thing that concerns me is the heat buildup and what is expected here towards NY. Several days in the mid 30s to low 40s for Melbourne in the model output and no sign of any storms or precipitation with it. Anyway, it is the wrong thread to discuss this but it needs to be put out there.

If this drizzle persisted for several hours we would likely get 5mm here, another 3hrs and it would be approaching 10mm, it is really quite heavy and a slight surprise.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

You dont mind having a whinge when it doesnt come off hey Andrew....you of all people should be grateful cos you have had much more rain than a lot of others here. You win some, you lose some, today it didnt come off. So what, its weather, that happens. We cant get our way every time. I reckon todays 8mm was the best of the year because this morning i expected zilch. If your not happy move to tassie, plenty of rain down there, mid 20s, no fire danger.

And i hope you emailed the BOm with your prediction of heatwave conditions for the rest of the summer....laughable. Just like November, after the first 2 weeks things looked dire then went absolutely mental. So take a chill pill, relax, enjoy Xmas and a few bevies, and if we get heatwaves, well it is summer so just accept it. Been happening for 4.6 Bn years, any amount of whining will not change that. So enjoy the festive season and whatever it brings.

merry xmas all! :santa:
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
dagget
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dagget »

Bit of a change now, 16 degrees almost have to close the windows and at least it is not as humid around. At least you have some drizzle, sweet FA here for us ATM :(
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

what I was trying to say is that the humidity will help breing rainfall with storms (which can also bring fires I suppose of the storms are dry ones I suppose) But I dont see the rest of the summer like that, I see a mare slightly above summer with near normal rainfall, with lots of cool changes and not extended heatwaves. Even this post xmas event will only see a few days of real extreme heat with another change coming in on NYD...and then cooler weather until the 7th or 8th and 9th with a further change.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Anthony Violi wrote:You dont mind having a whinge when it doesnt come off hey Andrew....you of all people should be grateful cos you have had much more rain than a lot of others here. You win some, you lose some, today it didnt come off. So what, its weather, that happens. We cant get our way every time. I reckon todays 8mm was the best of the year because this morning i expected zilch. If your not happy move to tassie, plenty of rain down there, mid 20s, no fire danger.

And i hope you emailed the BOm with your prediction of heatwave conditions for the rest of the summer....laughable. Just like November, after the first 2 weeks things looked dire then went absolutely mental. So take a chill pill, relax, enjoy Xmas and a few bevies, and if we get heatwaves, well it is summer so just accept it. Been happening for 4.6 Bn years, any amount of whining will not change that. So enjoy the festive season and whatever it brings.

merry xmas all! :santa:
You don't need to be patronising and aggressive Anthony. I haven't directed my posts at anyone personally so neither should you. I thought this forum didn't allow personal attacks but you have just had a go at my opinion and mocked me for it.

eg. 'And I hope you emailed the BOM with your prediction of heatwave conditions for the rest of the summer....laughable.', 'You dont mind having a whinge when it doesnt come off hey Andrew', 'So take a chill pill', 'you of all people should be grateful'. All patronising ways of talking to someone. :x
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

droughtbreaker wrote:Agree John. The thing that concerns me is the heat buildup and what is expected here towards NY. Several days in the mid 30s to low 40s for Melbourne in the model output and no sign of any storms or precipitation with it. Anyway, it is the wrong thread to discuss this but it needs to be put out there.
The BOM in particular don't generally forecast storms, rainfall etc in any great details more than 3-4 days out...

For that reason, I believe Thursday could easily be around 40, although as a few of the guys have predicted, I think there will be the odd storm about as well (will be a humid few days and all we need is a trigger.) Been a very good storm season so far although could very well get back to boring early Jan 09 conditions, but hopefully the storms stick around.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I'll be patronising and say calm down kids!!! It's not a complete flop... It's rained through most of the state.

Can we be happy it's Xmas again!!! I like you all very much and hope your Christmas is splendid!! :xmas:
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Not aggresive at all mate...im just over the constant whinging when things dont work out. It wasnt a direct insult or being patronising. Obviously that was a little sarcasm there, but no name calling, or anything personal. Just over the whinging all the time, you need to give it a rest, we are all frustrated just like you when it doesnt happen but there is a good reason for it. Thats just how i see it.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Well at 5.15pm we had our Christmas Eve street party, a BBQ sizzle. I have been living here for 25 years and this is the first street party I have been to as we generally go to Sydney for Christmas but now half our families have moved to Tassie. Anyway checked out the radar and at 5.45pm when Santas Claus on the CFA truck was due to arrive that was when the rain was going to be over us and right on cue that happened. Anyway here's one of the pics I took of Santa Claus and the Sassafras/Ferny Creek CFA truck. According to my gauge we had 3.6mm in Ferny Creek

:santa: :santa: HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE :santa: :santa:
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Its still drizzling here and all the sheep in the pasture outside my house are huddled together, cant even see mt macedon anymore,it looks like the Yorkshire moors :xmas: :xmas: :D
I only wish it would rain a bit more.
great night for staying in and watching my great big new LSD telly :rotfl:
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
dagget
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dagget »

Macedonian wrote:Its still drizzling here and all the sheep in the pasture outside my house are huddled together, cant even see mt macedon anymore,it looks like the Yorkshire moors :xmas: :xmas: :D
great night for staying in and watching my great big new LSD telly
Hi Macedonia, cannot see the mountain either and we have a bit of drizle now too, can hear it running in the gutters so more than I thought. How do you find the LSD TV :shock: , does it make the show a bit more..err intersting :lol:
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Just got a colder westerly puff now. We had 2mm in light rain over a couple of hours, then the W edge thinned giving us a sunny sun-shower and easterly rainbow 30mins ago. Thou :rainfall: ght it was all over, but the western edge say 5km out just refused to travel overhead. Now we have full cloud to our W and cool Westerly conditions. Getting too dark to see the cloud movement, but I would be rapt if it tended S because theres plenty of moisture about locally.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

hmmm a cold windy and drizzly night now......i'm staying indoors!
S
SC.
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by SC. »

Just checked the gauge and there is 7mm here so far. I'm pretty wrapped with that and it's still raining lightly. Anything over 5mm is good for the garden.

Merry Xmas everyone. :santa:
Matt

http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

dagget wrote:
Macedonian wrote:Its still drizzling here and all the sheep in the pasture outside my house are huddled together, cant even see mt macedon anymore,it looks like the Yorkshire moors :xmas: :xmas: :D
great night for staying in and watching my great big new LSD telly
Hi Macedonia, cannot see the mountain either and we have a bit of drizle now too, can hear it running in the gutters so more than I thought. How do you find the LSD TV :shock: , does it make the show a bit more..err intersting :lol:
To tell you the truth daggett i am a tad dissapointed!
the colours are way to bright and blurry, the sound is all distorted and its making those two hosts on Carols By Candlelight look freaky. :peaceout:
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

14.4mm for the CBD for a system that was clinically dead...i would say this is our finest hour of 2009.

avweatherforecasts.com
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Remaining dry here this evening. Expecting a very nice Christmas Day after potentially some morning drizzle.

Have a great day !!! :santa: :santa:
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Arrived home to a very welcome 8.5mm, nice slow drizzle although with Xmas was too busy in the kitchen to notice.
Merry Christmas to all.. :rainfall: :cloudy: :santa: :umbrella: :rainbow: :raining: