Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

2010 Snow Season

Post your forecasts, reports, webcams and anything to do with the white stuff over the winter period in Southern Australia. Let us know how the ski slopes are, from cross country, to the black diamonds, to general snowplay and chasing. This forum is for you.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Re: 2010 Snow Season

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Just to be aware with that information that the precipitation has not been missing from the region, just the colder air.

If a strong frontal area of rain develops ahead of a cold front but falls as snow, the snow depth can quickly turn around. Snow can be significant into October too.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

What was the 1988 season like for those too young to remember. That would be me ;)
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

From my recollections it was very wet, lots of rain and thunderstorm events, i did have a detailed diary somewhere for the period 1988-1990. I also remember hardly any one dayers went the full distance in the cricket in that summer due to rain. So if thats any precursor it will be a cracking spring and summer.

Curiously, 1987 spring saw record sept temps, then a wet period followed, and current patterns seem similar. Then in 1990 i think saw the best snow season in many years.

As for the snow, if getting more rainfall meant losing snow then im all for that.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

I remember the 1988 GF between Hawthorn & Melbourne, played in wet conditions! :D
Like Karl, I was quite young (11) and didn't keep a diary of weather back then (unfortunately)
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

My daughter is going skiing at Mt Buller next Tues.-Thurs. Any info on the conditions expected would be appreciated muchly! :thumbsup: :snowflake:
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Hi Madmoo

A good link here: http://www.weatherzone.com.au/snow/report/vic/mt-buller

A little early to be sure, but it's looking a lot like we're heading for an extended period of unsettled weather from tomorrow - at least for the next week. Temps are going to rise a little, but so is precipitation (there's been no snow in the alps for a week now). Conditions aren't too bad right now, certainly ski-able, so any extra snow is most welcome. I read somewhere today (cant remember where) that most alpine resorts are looking at a good dump in the next week. Probably from sunday next week there looks to be a fairly slow moving high over the South-east of the country until a front moves in late wednesday.

Saying that, it's a bit of a guessing game this far out.

Certainly advise to prepare for cold snowy weather, not crisp blue skies like we always hope for! Should get to below -4c overnight, maybe popping up to +3-4c during the day until the horrid rain comes, maybe on wednesday night...

Enjoy
Chris

edit: the EC model is forecasting around 90-100mm of rain for the next 8 days, so the general rule is 1mm rain = 1cm of snow. That would be an awesome recovery for the resorts if all that rain falls as snow! :bringiton:
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Thanks Chris, I'll check that site out. Wow they'll have a ripper of a time if they get a metre of snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woooo:
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Buller got 8cm overnight & it's still coming down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :woooo:
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Should be a significant dump of snow later this afternoon and into the night Madmoo, expecting close to 25-30cm new snow by this time tomorrow, plus it won't get above 0c until next weekend now - so nice and powdery. Mornings will be better than afternoons most of the week, so head out early for the best conditions...
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

By next weekend will see a heap of snowfalls. Largest peaks around Hotham and Falls would be getting dumped on for at least the next 48 hours, and another cold burst Wednesday. Should be easily over 50cms this week.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Anticipating 75cm for most resorts to Wednesday morning with a fairly significant blizzard developing this afternoon and not lifting till tomorrow afternoon.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Some great falls over the past 24hrs.

Thanks to ski.com.au, check out the coverage here
http://ski.com.au/reports/australia/index.html
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

Thredbo reporting 1.1mtrs,i wonder how much windblown snow affected the actual reading.
Greg Sorenson
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Greg Sorenson »

Well i'm pretty excited right now. Only a couple sleeps away from heading down to Falls to meet up with some SA work collegues on Sunday.... buggers didn't want to go to perisher which would have been easier, but oh well. Beggers can't be choosers:) Looking forward to some touch up falls during next week, should be enough for ski-in / ski-out in the village. Will posts some images as next week progresses.
Planning on living a long time. There's so much to do in such a short space of a life!
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Hi Greg :)

Looking forward to what you find up there. Should be another 20-30cm over the coming week. Maybe a hint of rain ahead of the snow on the weekend.

Enjoy your trip :)
brayden
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by brayden »

Deff. would like some pics Greg! ;)

Don't get to see alot of snow here in WA now lol Been on ski for the cams, looks great. Temps have been excellent up there, Hoth's been down around -7c overnight and looks like the last couplar days for it and Falls have been around the -2c or so.
"I'm in with the sane, does that make me Insane?"
"I lycra like that"
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Man made snow is going nuts at the moment with this abundant cold air. Should see the areas closer to the towns get better coverage from the natural version
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Could be a better result by the end of the week. Might even make the magical 2m mark during early spring. I thought it forgot how to snow!!