Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Warm and humid with showers and storms: Late December to early January

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Warm and humid with showers and storms: Late December to early January

Post by stevco123 »

Lightning laat night at 2am.

Also just had a 2 minute downpour here and one simultaneous huge crack of thunder and lightning.

Officially counts a storm day to me 😁
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
w
weathergasm
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by weathergasm »

Most recent Melbourne sounding (and I am looking at the right one this time!) has Lifted Index of -6.4 and Total Totals of 56. If you get a storm today it’ll likely be a doozy.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

weathergasm wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:40 am Most recent Melbourne sounding (and I am looking at the right one this time!) has Lifted Index of -6.4 and Total Totals of 56. If you get a storm today it’ll likely be a doozy.
I don't remember my calculus, but the area (CAPE) between the black curved line and the dry adiabatic lapse rate line is huge!!
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

Storms seem to have split in two and went either side of me so far today, did catch a very chunky CG launch itself into the clear air towards the other side of the mountains well ahead of the storm, whilst it was sunny and hot here....scary!

I am assuming things are waiting more until peak heating and the change to fire up further, everything else so far is quite fast moving.

did have some heavy rain in the early hours last night
w
weathergasm
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by weathergasm »

Going by doppler it appears the trough is traversing the bay and is at Laverton’s doorstep. A little bit too early for my liking, would prefer it to be about 50km west.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

7mm in this morning's storm. Rainfall account for 2023 opened.

Blue skies, 27c, humid, and an easterly breeze atm
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Currently at Frankston beach. A sea breeze seems to have moved in, and at the same time I'm looking at the radar and development has stoppes. I hope it's not one of those stupid days where the seabreeze kills chances of storms. It's been 20 years since Melbourne has had regular summer storms

(Ignore the Frankston Ballam Park weather station. It's too far inland from Frankston to be calling it as such. The bom station has Frankston at 31 degrees, but my kestrel on the beach is showing 24)
Last edited by stevco123 on Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
w
weathergasm
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by weathergasm »

stevco123 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:21 pm Currently at Frankston beach. A sea breeze seems to have moved in, and at the same time I'm looking at the radar and development has stoppes. I hope it's not one of those stupid days where the seabreeze kills chances of storms. It's been 20 years since Melbourne has had regular summer storms
I could be wrong, but I doubt that’s a sea breeze. Fairly sure it’s the trough itself. At this stage it looks like it’ll come “too soon” to trigger storms for many south metro areas.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

I could also be wrong but i thought it was still well down towards the Otways.

There's A LOT of development I can see visually to my west-south-west
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Didjman wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:36 pm Earth.Nullschool.net at 1200:

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... 35.70,2613
In that case, i call another storm fail for the Melbourne metro area, if this is really the trough
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

bom specifically says :

A thunderstorm likely, possibly severe with damaging winds and large hail in the afternoon and evening. Possible heavy falls in the afternoon and evening.

so if that was it, its a massive fail on their part, does seem like that was it unless there is something they know/see that we don't?
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

James wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:51 pm bom specifically says :

A thunderstorm likely, possibly severe with damaging winds and large hail in the afternoon and evening. Possible heavy falls in the afternoon and evening.

so if that was it, its a massive fail on their part, does seem like that was it unless there is something they know/see that we don't?

But then their state forecast takea a bet each way:

Scattered showers and thunderstorms over western and central districts slowly contracting east during the day. Thunderstorms may be severe with the risk of locally heavy rain, damaging winds and large hail. Isolated light showers to follow across the south later. Hot with moderate to locally fresh northerly winds ahead of a cooler south to southwesterly change along the southwest coast reaching western Victoria this afternoon and central districts during the early evening.
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

As i say, never take any notice of the forecasts - a forecast like that yet, for severe storms but was there any severe storm warnings with any of that lot this morning (which i heard had hail in it).

A friend refused to visit today and cancelled plans because of the severe weather forecast this afternoon...ughh!
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

James wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:01 pm As i say, never take any notice of the forecasts
Yep, exactly. It's much better to make our own predictions & analysis here on this fabulous forum than read any of the nonsense released by the BOM. It's exhausting the amount of times those incompetent fools have stuffed up the forecast.

Magnificent short light show at 1am this morning down here on the island, even though that wasn't forecast overnight either. Saw another cell just before midday over western port too. 😃
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

To be honest, I am disappointed so far also. But looking at it logically, there is heat / moisture / instability yes? This mornings sounding showed we had all those in spades. What is missing?? Has to be lack of forcing. IE: the trough is weaker than first forecast / has weakened. How do you forecast that? The atmosphere is fluid and always changing. My 2 cents worth.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Looks like things are firing in a line from Ballarat to north of Stawell. The Clunes cell looks impressive on the Maryborough airport webcam:

https://www.myairportcams.com
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Going to be line ball for us...

Out of interest, does anyone know what happened to the Thunderstorm Forecast maps Vic BOM used to publish on their Twitter page? Haven't seen one for ages. (Not to be confused with their STWs.)
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Gordon wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:55 pm Going to be line ball for us...

Out of interest, does anyone know what happened to the Thunderstorm Forecast maps Vic BOM used to publish on their Twitter page? Haven't seen one for ages. (Not to be confused with their STWs.)
It's on their CFA Reg User page
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

That Clunes cell is looking pretty good on Kilmore Gap webcam!

First STW is out for that cell:

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV21033.shtml