Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic - Summer polar blast, then settled - 11-20/12/22

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Vic - Summer polar blast, then settled - 11-20/12/22

Post by Petros »

GFS and EC are mooting a stormy period ahead of Christmas?:

GFS's version.....

Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Vic - arrival of a low pressure system, heralding a period of sultry weather 11-20/12/22

Post by QldTwister »

It would be nice but the regular fronts and winter like pattern contines till at least late next week hopefyll thats it and warm humid stromy weather returns
Bring on the heat and stroms
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Vic - arrival of a low pressure system, heralding a period of sultry weather 11-20/12/22

Post by Petros »

Yep, seems so Twister, at least the chance of a stormy change looming for the dates acc. to latest GFS:

hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Days look to me to be chilly chilly mild warm chilly chilly chilly :o Amazing how Australia is split between a baking hot north and mostly cool southeast. More snow down here in the alps on the mainland and mountains in Tasmani with mostly showers. Meanwhile it will approach 50C on the northwest coast as we move into the weekend. EC has a peak of 50C on Saturday and 49C on Sunday. Might rival the national record.

At the same time, will be local frosts on Saturday morning in the southeast and a cover of snow on the mountains.

Not so sure about rain. The link to the tropics is pretty weak atm. Will mean the usual spots do ok.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Half decent cover of snow on Kunanyi, Lake Mt and Baw Baw this morning.

Back home in Howden, too westerly for us so just 3mm in the gauge. Large falls to my west of Snug where there was locally 30mm.

Vic mostly not much, except the usual Yarra Ranges wet spots,
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Sleety 4C here as I type. No sign of summer :? . Can't see anything for the next 10 days either, and possibly another really cold burst.

3mm to 9am - first rain for December.
Last edited by Gordon on Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

2.6° min at my place at Mt Macedon. Not sultry.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Look at the heat across the northern half of the country! Once the pattern changes down here - expect heat and grass fires in the long growth!
j
jimmyay
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by jimmyay »

Any chance of a pattern change coming ? Have to say I’m thoroughly sick of being plunged back into winter all the time . It’s the second week of December! And winter began in June!
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Briefly hit 9° this afternoon. Bit of a chilly one for summer.
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

jimmyay wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:09 pm Any chance of a pattern change coming ? Have to say I’m thoroughly sick of being plunged back into winter all the time . It’s the second week of December! And winter began in June!
I'm with you there Jimmy!
I'm not one to complain about weather, but some prolonged mild-warmish days would be great at this time of year.

Can't see a pattern change any time soon though?
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Foggy and 3° this morning.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

A bit of drizzle and 0.6mm overnight. 8.8mm in total this week, but feeling fairly dry overall and cold! We had a max here yesterday of 13c and a min of 5.7c this morning. A warm weekend coming up though...
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

After showing buggerall last evening, EC now flips and moots this for Gippsland for this system:

s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Equal coldest summer temp ever recorded in Australia, last night at Perisher with -7 degrees.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Latest CMC run mooting things may be problematic for those in the Nth Central and NE regions, more water to flush the Mitta, more water down the Murray, lucky we've had a couple of week break!:

hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

WeatherViewer wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:35 pm
jimmyay wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:09 pm Any chance of a pattern change coming ? Have to say I’m thoroughly sick of being plunged back into winter all the time . It’s the second week of December! And winter began in June!
I'm not one to complain about weather, but some prolonged mild-warmish days would be great at this time of year.

Both December 1981 and 2008 were quite cold and wet, until they weren’t :? These really stuck patterns often flip. Won’t happen next week but with near December records in the north, a pattern switch could be quite brutal. Impressive that record low, but a short and patchy record. Perisher is about 2C colder than the old record holder (Kiandra), which suggests it would have been around -9C in the 1964 event which had huge snow drift in the Snowys in December. Unfortunately no obs from that one.

We had graupel at our place in Howden today. It also happened last December but still pretty chilly for summer :D

Looks very wet next week.
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

So over this winter weather 6 months of solid winter getting to much and all of next week looking cold. :( :( :( :( :(

Will prob be cold though xmas and pattern change after Xmas and finlly hot and humid at times hopefully repeat of last Jan be a dream

Also IF (but i doubt it) we get 3 days in a row below 16c next week be first time on record for Melb in the Dec to Mar period go away winter

Wet and stormy central and East Sunday Monday then days of Swly showers and COLD
Yarra ranges prob get 100mm for the week, so wet, so wintery, so over it.
Bring on the heat and stroms
L
Lucia
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Lucia »

WeatherViewer wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:35 pm

Well I must be the odd one out, I love the cool weather and the welcome relief from the usual need to water the garden and see everything drying out, at the moment my garden has never been so attractive, lush and green. Hope it continues for several more weeks.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Fire went out last night, although will re load the inside fuel for JIC.
Today we see open sky, that’s rare..
time to plant some veggies.
Agree with the less watering Lucia

Had some earth works done last week, ~500mm down and it was like walking on thick jelly..