Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Big rain event 12-14 October

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Big rain event 12-14 October

Post by StratoBendigo »

Local creeks are at the highest I've seen them. 75mm event total....

The flat land to our North is in trouble.
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Adam38 »

Already 30-55mm across the upper Werribee river catchment…
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Yes, Swan Hill has just reached 70mm. Bendigo is not that far behind and there are plenty of totals above 50mm now. And the front has barely moved for the last couple of hours so still a way to go, although it should slowly get moving soon.

23mm here so far. Continuous light to moderate rain has been falling this morning. The wind was severe late last night but has since moderated somewhat and thankfully no significant damage.
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

StratoBendigo wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:07 am Local creeks are at the highest I've seen them. 75mm event total....

It’s almost up to the bridge in Epsom!
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

I'm literally right on the edge of this for now. Probably 1mm every hour.

Waiting in anticipation for it to get moving later and see what it unleashes, if anything

Still 22mm the past 24 hours and very evident the ground can not hold any more water. Plenty of puddles EVERYWHERE, large and small
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

StratoBendigo wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:07 am Local creeks are at the highest I've seen them. 75mm event total....

Amazing. We've 'only' had 30mm here so far, but that's enough to start pushing water over the roads in places, and I'm seeing standing water in paddocks where I've never seen it before.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Gordon wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:24 am

Amazing. We've 'only' had 30mm here so far, but that's enough to start pushing water over the roads in places, and I'm seeing standing water in paddocks where I've never seen it before.
It's the same around here. The ground is so sodden now that even a moderate fall of rain is pooling and struggling to drain away.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Been raining light but steady here since dawn, had no wind at all for this event so far.

Rare to see all of Victoria receiving rain at the same time!:

S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Closing in on 90mm for the event. Wind is howling too.

Generally not quite as bad as 2011 yet, after some improvements were made to drainage etc. Rochester still worries me though with nearly 6m of water going down the Coliban River at Lyal atm...
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Lots of October records in northern Tasmania. This is not a usual month for big slow moving events, but guess that is the past and not our future :? Rivers are now starting to respond quickly.

I don't expect daily totals to exceed 2016, but the 48 hours total may. The 100-150mm peak falls mostly occurred in around a 12 hour period with is extraordinary, with another 12 hours of similar rainfall rates to come. Progs picked this days if not a week out which is amazing.

Northern Victoria looks extraordinary. Going to be one of those events for the record books. Huge tropical infeed which is record or near record moist and a slow moving almost stationary trough. This trough is tapping moisture from both the Coral Sea and Indian Ocean which I'm not sure I've really seen before. Really unusual and extreme set-up.

In southern Tas totals are entirely dependent on whether you are in the immediate central plateau rainshadow or the downstream bounce zone. Just a mm in Hobart, but closing in on 15mm at our place just 15km south of Hobart at the crow flies. These types of gradient are quite phenomenal. The rain is almost perfect falling at a rate of 1-2mm an hour at our place :)
d
drewgon
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by drewgon »

Got sent home from work in Seymour. Back in Nagambie now - 60mm in the gauge since midnight.

34mm up to midnight (for yesturday)

94mm total for event atm
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Echuca, Swan Hill, Shepparton and Albury railway lines now closed.

Going to be a rough few days, maybe weeks going by next week's forecast too.
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

30mm for the event...nothing too heavy just yet due to being in or near the donut bounce zone .although we have an issue with flooding under the house ...Plumber coming tomorrow hopefully ;)
Major event for sure..stay safe everyone and check on your neighbours
Plenty more to come...concerned about flash flooding tonight
Latest Satellite looks impressive
t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

Looks like it is clearing out north of Bendigo. is the next band going to thicken up before it gets here, doesn't look that intense on the 512 radar?
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

Amazing, Amazing event the whole state rain all day, all night and again most of today with widespread 50-100mm already and another 30 to 80mm to come and many places breaking daily and monthly records after this im sure its pretty rare and a huge event for us. :o :o :o

50 to 70mm in the Mallee is insane and lots of 80 to 120 in the hills and likely those same spots another 50 to 80 isol 100 today :o :o :o

25 to 40mm for much of the metro so far and should see another 20 to 40mm for most today crazy wet :o

Things finally clearing up tomorrow but so many rivers on and north of ranges going into Major flood in the coming days with minor to mod flooding in the south few could go into Major so much rain so much water :o

What an IOD models had this for a week most impressive

this image saids it all rain to 9am this morning amazing
Attachments
Rain.PNG
Rain.PNG (282.51 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
Bring on the heat and stroms
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

QldTwister wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:00 pm 25 to 40mm for much of the metro so far and should see another 20 to 40mm for most today crazy wet :o
Settle down Twister, there's no chance we will see another 20-40mm here in Melbourne. :?
Here at work in Melbourne's west we had about 15-18mm to 9:00am with an additional 4mm since.
Far from convinced those heavy falls will eventuate in the metro area later this afternoon/evening.

Meanwhile concerning news keeps coming through from those up north.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Looks to be easing in the metro area, but should intensify once the front comes through eventually later/ tonight?
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

It's bedlam up here. Multiple properties flooded, people being rescued from cars, trees going over in the strong winds, schools cancelled etc etc.
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

Maybe not 40mm in the west skywalker, closer to 20mm there, but most of metro will fall in that range 20-40mm by 9am tomorrow.

Most on 5mm already and still big band of rain out west and the wind change and front to come so yes its not gonna bucket down 20mm in an hour type stuff but just hours of mm or 2 then burst of mod to heavy rain on the front later this arvo evening.

Just had look at next week wamm humid big storms to north more heavy rain pattern continues :D

Yep northern Vic in big trouble with all this rain and flooding lots of rivers be in major flood huge imapcts to roads rail travel and farm land with many homes likely inandated flooded with water
Bring on the heat and stroms
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

On 90mm for the event now. Non stop rain for 24hours and probably more to come.
I just calculated that almost 38000 litres of water have overflowed from my house tanks in the last week. That is a lot!
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m