Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Lingering low with showers and rain 11-18 August

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Lingering low with showers and rain 11-18 August

Post by StratoBendigo »

Raining again here. Seems to be settling in for the day.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

hillybilly wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:52 am
Macedonian wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:38 am Pouring rain in Macedon. Windy and cold as well.

Big thanks to Blackee, Ben and Shell for helping to retrieve my login details and getting me back onto the forum.

Snow pic from three years ago today. The last time we had a really good fall at home.
Nothing much this year so far. Bit of a boring winter.FB_IMG_1660181552751.jpg
Nice photo. Perhaps others have thoughts but this year seems to be tracking about the leanest year in living memory for low level snow on the mainland. Two place I watch pretty close are the Dandenongs and Blue Mountains which have pretty good records. The first is basically snow free. The second had barely any. I haven’t seen any reports of decent snow in the usual spots such as Trentham and Marysville.

Hasn’t been a particularly warm winter, but just lacked solid cold outbreaks.

Down here we’ve had quite decent low level snow. Been four solid settling events at 400m in the foothills suburbs of Hobart. Best was near 10cm. We’ve had three snow days here near sea level south of Hobart. One settled very lightly. None of this is historically unusual, but still nice to have.
Yes, a very lean year for snow. I have observed snow falling about three times and had a very light settled fall on one occasion. but very insignificant.
I'm on a small weather forum that made up of some of the NSW Central Tablelands folk who used to be on Weatherzone years ago.
They are all talking about it being a lean year as well but they at least have had a few decent falls over the highest areas above 1100m. Mainly on the Oberon Plateau.
As far as I know the Blue Mts have missed out completely. Katoomba recorded 600mm of rain in July. Extraordinary.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Turning into a big event here with 22mm this afternoon bringing us to 29mm since yesterday.

Not easing up so expect we'll hit 30mm shortly - stuck under a band that won't give in!

Edit: now 31mm
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

On 0.2mm so far :D Hoping today stays mostly fine as we’ve got 60 m^3 of top soil to move around the garden. Can then rain all day tomorrow, LOL.

Current progs are really ramping this event up for southern and eastern Tasmania, and south Victoria up through the Yarra ranges. UK has about 150mm here over 72 hours. Other models more like 80mm. Be interesting to see which models win out, and UK is usually pretty conservative :( Those number are somewhere between one and three months of rainfall :? We’ve already had one “1 in a hundred year event” here this year. Be interesting to see if we get another…

Alps are lucky with the tweaks to the system which are keep the warm air advection mainly south of them now.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

A bit more rain overnight. Now at 22mm since Thursday. Ground is saturated and it's all runoff.

Not sure what the next week will bring. Probably not a whole lot North of the Divide.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Got 1mm from a late arvo shower here yesterday (event total to date) - but a thundery rainmass has loomed in from the east just now. Looks like a trough has developed over the East Gippsland coast.
w
weathergasm
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by weathergasm »

Pretty unstable around Melbourne today according to most recent sounding.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

It feels like it's spring today. Like clear blue skies and it's not too cold. Fingers crossed we get some activity later today.
Pengaz
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pengaz »

Pretty mild here too, but looks unstable above and murky to the east with the thundery rain blob Petros will be sitting under this arvo.

Not sure we’ll see much make it this far west today, but I’m sure we’ll make up for it early next week when the flow swings around to the southwest.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

This seems to have set in as a classic easterly rain event for Central and East Gippsland. Will be some nervous farmers on the farms along the Thompson to the Mitchell Rivers, as the rain forecasts over the previous days gave no heads up for significant rain this side of the divide.

Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Not good to hear that Petros for the farmers.
Yes seems to be coming in the back door here FTG. Some odd deep blue looking mass to my north.

Beaut day otherwise.

%%Good work to the guys getting the bookwork side of the forum sorted - see posts at tops of threads.%%

Very happy to see for my dear friend Robyn. Bless her. !
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Currently there are storms in the north around Whittlesea and Sunbury. Will be interesting what happens in these areas.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Australis(Shell3155) wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:55 pm %%Good work to the guys getting the bookwork side of the forum sorted - see posts at tops of threads.%%

Very happy to see for my dear friend Robyn. Bless her. !
You're welcome Shell. I figured out that if I ask iinet to recreate Robyn's email, that I would be able to reset the passwords and log into everything. Thankfully that worked meaning we can now keep renewing the domain so it doesn't expire.

I also just completed going through all the inactive users. Majority of the thousands were spam. I found about 21 within that were legit ones. So hopefully they get the email and realise they have been finally activated.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Some big thunder claps here as a storm builds to our north east. We had just over 12mm last night from heavy, thundery showers. Definitely not feeling like winter today.
t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

Some beautiful rolling thunder here at mount Evelyn.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Lots of videos of hail in those storms in the northern suburbs. Looks mostly pea to small marble size. Cell near Viewbank gone black :o

Down here it is murky with cloud close to sea level. Drizzly showers pushing in.

Be heavy rain here by tomorrow morning.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Some hail earlier here. Not especially large and it was short lived. Otherwise lots of rumbling but the heaviest falls have just slid past us so far, so only 1mm currently.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

We just went from summer to winter in 25 minutes. Feels like I just stepped out on top on a winter hill.
Still dry and outside so that’s a bonus.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Sun is out but it feels humid. Rainbow radar clearly show rotation around the Low.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

hillybilly wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:23 pm Lots of videos of hail in those storms in the northern suburbs. Looks mostly pea to small marble size. Cell near Viewbank gone black :o
Nasty looking cell and about to hit Melb airport. Nothing up here yet but very nice looking skies in all directions. This Mt Buller looking east around noon today.

Ground is sodden in parts around here. Anything falling is run off.
Attachments
IMG_4689.jpg
IMG_4689.jpg (556.98 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Mansfield 370m and Elwood