Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic - Strong Cold Front August 18 - 19

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Vic - Strong Cold Front August 18 - 19

Post by Tassiedave »

Rain Tas last 24 hrs: Darwin Dam 46mm, Strahan 35mm, Pine Tree Rivulet 32mm, Mt Victoria 21mm, Scottsdale 11mm, Launceston 5.2mm, Hobart 0.6mm
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

2.2c here and 1.8c at Ballarat Airport. Getting some drizzly showers at the moment
but no snow. Need a big coldie to come through but that aint happening. :(
B
BringOnTheCoolChange
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by BringOnTheCoolChange »

Get real excited guys, if you get any precip, it's looking real low level snow, I reckon I just saw a couple of odd flakes of snow at East Warburton, than saw some white thing splat and disappeared on my windscreen just before I hit Warburton
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Bright blue sunny skies here. I even hit the bike for the trip into work. That's how much confidence I have of it raining today. :roll:
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

I think we've missed our chance for settled snow here. A few flurries yesterday evening, and again at about 7 this morning. Cold enough at 0.5-1C but we missed the moisture.

Snowing lightly again now but temp on the way up at nearly 2C. 8mm in the gauge to 9am, 83mm mtd.
B
BringOnTheCoolChange
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by BringOnTheCoolChange »

Well sounds like I was one of the lucky few, but that's all hahaha, surely some other people must have gotten some white stuff out of this?

Where is it mainly hitting?
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Think the Otways may have got some half decent snow judging by the radar after the cold air came through last night, but we don't get many reports from down there so can't confirm.

Edit: A shower here at 11am is dropping sleety snow; 3.5C.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

BringOnTheCoolChange wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:14 am Well sounds like I was one of the lucky few, but that's all hahaha, surely some other people must have gotten some white stuff out of this?

Where is it mainly hitting?
Looks like good snow in parts of the Strezleckis: https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/augus ... 573/page-4
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Complete dud here today with 0.2mm. Geez, that's a lot of cold air gone to waste :roll:

Now looking to the system on Wednesday, which does look wetter. We still need about 25mm to our monthly average, so need one more decent event (yet). Away group southcentral/south Gippsland the month is turning out to be pretty lean for most the rest of OZ (and Vic).

Suspect we got the slightest of flurries just before 7am this morning, but missed seeing it.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Just 0.4mm here today and a max of 8.8c. I wasn’t expecting any snow given it was so marginal, but it got down to 2.7c with the windchill dropping to -2.3c, so a pretty cold start to the day!
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

I had another flurry of snow after lunch.
Temp range today of -0.3C to 5.1C which is actually a bit warmer than i thought it would be. Just goes to show that it is August and the sun is higher in the sky.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Cool, warm, cold, warm, coolish, warmer, wind chill, cold.
Pulled out the lawn mowed to leave tracks in the grass while that sun warmed my back..
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Rain in Tas last 24 hrs : Henty Canal 82mm, Darwin Dam 82mm, Cradle Valley 74mm, Strathgordon 72mm, King William Creek 57mm, Zeehan 48mm, Devonport 1.2mm, Hobart 1.0 mm, Launceston 0mm
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Tassiedave wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:42 am Rain in Tas last 24 hrs : Henty Canal 82mm, Darwin Dam 82mm, Cradle Valley 74mm, Strathgordon 72mm, King William Creek 57mm, Zeehan 48mm, Devonport 1.2mm, Hobart 1.0 mm, Launceston 0mm
Shaping up as a really impressive system for western Tasmania. Good for the dams which have been struggling to get over 50% (which might sound like a lot, but isn't for them).

0.4mm in the gauge here in FC. Looks like showers thickening up here from about noon. Needing a decent fall out of this now to push us over our monthly average.

The MTD percentage makes for interesting viewing with basically all the rain coming up from the southwest :o This doesn't include last nights falls which will fill in parts of western Tas.

G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Interesting and surprising chart HB; without having paid close attention, I'd assumed western Tasmania was doing very well.

Is that chart comparing mean to 19 August, or mean for all of August? (I assume the latter as we're only 5mm short of August average already?)

Meanwhile, another bleak day here, with windswept drizzle, no sun and 6C.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Gordon wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:40 am Interesting and surprising chart HB; without having paid close attention, I'd assumed western Tasmania was doing very well.

Is that chart comparing mean to 19 August, or mean for all of August? (I assume the latter as we're only 5mm short of August average already?)
Tas will look a lot better once today's number are added. Vic won't change much. It's been a grey month, but no in feeds from the north so rain has been showery.

Further north is really suffering from the lack of infeeds which is a pretty classical +IOD signature. For us, the +IOD have ~12 weeks to run, so the longer it continues to be showery, the better :D The odds are against us now as we approach spring for good rain , so anything we sneak is a bonus ;)

BTW check out the waves that are being pushed up in the Tasman Sea with this system. They look like peaking above 11m off the NSW coast.
j
jimmyay
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by jimmyay »

Yes has been cloudiest month for ages. Awfully dull
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Rain since 9am in Tas: Mt Read 75mm, Darwin Dam 59mm, Cradle Valley 49mm Strathgordon 38mm, Narcissus River 45mm, Hobart 7.6mm
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

10mm from the last 2 fronts dull cold week but 16 to 18c becoming more common between cold outbreaks.
With super dry inland Sept Oct Nov gonna be much warmer than normal only few cold weeks left.

Wet last 4 months, great news locally but terrible for inland another failed winter and spring

Windy few days ahead and aother 5-10mm

Looking forward to seeing weekly totals tassiedave few 200-400mm possible i think HUGE
Bring on the heat and stroms
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Winds starting to pick up here as the front to the south pushes up towards us. Gusts to 130km/hr at the Prom and plenty of 50-100km/hr gusts elsewhere. Looks like a wet night in the south with EC having locally up to 20mm. Will favour the usual hilly west facing spots in the south.

Quite mild out there ATM with heavy drizzle in the alps. Perhaps the ski season may be at its peak given the previous snow hasn’t had a chance to pack down yet :?: