Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Tropics day to day weather talk

Event discussion and analysis for Australia's northern tropics, including day to day weather and tropical cyclones.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Tropics day to day weather talk

Post by 28degrees »

Re the over-egged radar, at Chillagoe we've had red directly over us - and no rain. It's so typical I never bother unplugging my computer.
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

Total all up for this event was 123mm :D :D :D, be nice to get some more today/tonight. We are down to our last two round bales for the cattle Hickory but I reckon that will see them out till we get some pick on the go from this lot. It's the Horses that really cost, it's like putting money in one end and crap out the other.
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Good to hear you got a drink at last Marakai :)

I dropped our drinking water tank out yesterday as the Evodia tree flowers have turned the water and changed the taste.
Tank all clean now just waiting on rain.

Hopefully this low can push a lot of moisture down into inland QLD and setup a good season.

Cheers
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

marakai wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:18 am Total all up for this event was 123mm :D :D :D, be nice to get some more today/tonight.
Good on you. You've been watching it go past you for most of this month.
The rest of Jan. could be quite wet. NW Qld and the Gulf getting good rain. Flush them prawns out into the gulf waters. :P
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

Just lost power here for about 15 min, amazing how accustomed people become to having a fan blowing constantly at night huh ?

We have another 40 odd mm in the gauge since 9 am. Your tank full yet Bunyip ? We have been getting a heap of Tannin through the line from the creek, not too bad but you can see it in the colour of the ice from the ice maker, nothing in there a hefty shot of home brew Vodka won't kill I expect.

Look's like we might get the trough set in for a bit by midweek hey Hickory ? Sure has taken it's time working it's way on down this year but then India got late flood's as did Indonesia as well. I just hope it is gentle with us and doesn't cause any havoc around the country for our primary producers. It's been real nice hearing the rain on the roof over last night and seeing all the puddles when we got back home from Cairns this arvo after it missing us over the last week or two.

Reckon the Barra will be snapping like crazy locally with the flush in the catchments too, Took the coastal route into Cairns today after dropping the Daughters friend off in Shanonvale and stopped off at Pebbly Beach on the way down, Couldn't believe how clear the water was for this time of year, you would of thought it was Sept at how clear it was.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Nice to see some good falls about...we have been missing most ..just 100 mm at Tully so far for the month..

Got the boat packed up for a couple of windless days at the reef ..installed a 12v oven yesterday for some tasty treats..

All ready to go on the back of the forecast that says 5-10mm of rain..no biggie..just enough to keep cool me thinks and then I look at the radar and listen to the thunder outside...

A massive rainblob converging along the coast between Cairns and Tully, with Innisfail appearing to be at its epicentre, which I have really been waiting and hoping for.....just not this weekend, but alas, its looking like we could be in for some solid general rain and thunderstorms...

Give it another hour and make a call....Damn you, rain gods..!!
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Hate being away when we're getting good weather like this.. :(
W
Weary
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Weary »

85mm overnight, and a brief loss of power :D :D
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

Weary wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:47 am 85mm overnight, and a brief loss of power :D :D
Now that laid the dust !
91.2mm for Holloways. Don't think I'll get much more in the next hour 'til 09:00h.

I'd just plated up dinner when the power went out, so grabbed the hurricane lamp,- not quite a candle light dinner, but it did the trick.
Sure gets sticky when the ceiling fans stop though. Power came back on about 01:00, I think, so out for maybe 40 mins.

Sat outside for a while, and not one mozzie. Can't remember the last time I saw one.
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

28degrees wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:16 am Hate being away when we're getting good weather like this.. :(
I really really hate missing out on all this good weather....

It's actually warmed up a bit today, on the southern tip of the mainland, only 2 layers of merino.
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

48mm here this morning.

New Modem and wall socket ect ect and ADSL is up and running again.

Gutters still disconnected as the rain has just been soft and still a lot of flowers on the roof , need a real down poor too clean it .
filled plenty of water bottles and the kitchen fountain thing.

Yeah the old power out and sudden silence / no fan, wakes you up pretty quick.

Our creek is still loaded with tannins too Marakai , but we only shower in it not drink so don't notice it much.

Cheers
B
Birdie
New User
Reactions:

Post by Birdie »

Nice to read chat about proper FNQ locations- Found my way over here thanks to Scott 🙂
We seem to be in under a dome abit here at Newell, nothing quite making it all the way to the coast. Only about 15mm last night.
Ho hum.
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

28degrees wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:18 am
28degrees wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:16 am
I really really hate missing out on all this good weather....
Just think about all the excitement when checking your rain gauge when you get back. :P :P
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

Birdie wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:44 am Nice to read chat about proper FNQ locations- Found my way over here thanks to Scott 🙂
We seem to be in under a dome abit here at Newell, nothing quite making it all the way to the coast. Only about 15mm last night.
Ho hum.
I'd be really wary about that fella Birdie, used to be See Eye Aye from what I heard about him, pretty shady character that bloke.
A well traveled Agent who spent plenty of time in South America back in the pre Clinton day's and still keeps a well prepared option of Ocean travel/escape on hand till this day even. He might seem harmless, but all his fishing and boating talk is just a ruse.

I'd keep a real close eye on Scott if I was you... ;) :D :( /S/
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

FNQBunyip wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:04 am 48mm here this morning.

New Modem and wall socket ect ect and ADSL is up and running again.

Gutters still disconnected as the rain has just been soft and still a lot of flowers on the roof , need a real down poor too clean it .
filled plenty of water bottles and the kitchen fountain thing.

Yeah the old power out and sudden silence / no fan, wakes you up pretty quick.

Our creek is still loaded with tannins too Marakai , but we only shower in it not drink so don't notice it much.

Cheers
We have Satellite here, Drops out in heavy rain etc but only as long as the storm last's or until the cloud cover clears. Don't know how well a dish would work for you up where you are but I find it work's well enough for us even when the grid drops out as we can power it ourselves if we want to. We had three months of zero home phone conection in the local floods last year due to flooding of our old copper connection line. Satellite Internet worked fine nearly 90% of the time though even when we were on our own genny power.
Same story with Vast TV for us, $500 for a dish and receiver box and we have TV so long as we have power which we can produce ourselves, as long as we have fuel for the genny. TV plus a load of radio stations as long as you have the decoder box. Internet and all that comes with it as well so long as you have your own power too.

I had Immediate Family in Cairns when Yasi hit and they were without power for well over a week in the Northern Beaches at the time, fridges and freezers full of rotting food due to a lack of power. All for want of a generator and fuel.

In this day and age, just having an AM radio to listen in on is akin to a 1920's style of alertness when it comes to knowing what is happening. You can buy a 2kva genny with a built in 3-500 watt inverter for less than a grand now which can power your coms + a car fridge and internet for SFA, even just having the ability to refrigerate or power lights and phones is worth the purchase price of a small genny in this part of the world. All this and a stockpile of food (and Tobacco if you are a smoker)....

Just Imagine that the day after tomorrow the shops never opened again... How long would your cupboards last for things like toilet paper, milk, etc... How long could you feed yourselves with what is on your shelves and in your fridge ?

Serious question, what do you do when the shops run out of toilet paper and the Toilet wont flush any more ?
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

marakai wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:29 pm
Serious question, what do you do when the shops run out of toilet paper and the Toilet wont flush any more ?
Arm yourself with large leaves and a square-mouth shovel and walk out into the nearest paddock. :P
(Don't use leaves off of a stinking tree.)
S
Slipperyfish
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Slipperyfish »

96mm overnight. Some good falls around the place.

I imagine Scott went out the reef fishing, conditions are great. Might have got a wet backside though.

Well I’m off for a paddle.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Birdie wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:44 am Nice to read chat about proper FNQ locations- Found my way over here thanks to Scott 🙂
Ho hum.
Hi Birdie..looks like those Daintree types have been been stealing all your rain unfortunately...

Yeah and a word of warning , just be careful of that marakai fella....

Don't be deceived by his charm and quick wit...

You do really need to keep an eye out for those backwoods folk...if you have seen the "Wrong Turn" movie franchise then you will know what I mean... ;) :D
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Slipperyfish wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:30 am 96mm overnight. Some good falls around the place.

I imagine Scott went out the reef fishing, conditions are great. Might have got a wet backside though.

Well I’m off for a paddle.
Yeah we went out at first light SF.....

Spoiler alert..!....Fishing report following.....scroll past if uninterested...lol... :D ……………..fantastic day out and did some snorkelling on Yamacutta cay till a huge liveaboard rocked up (first boat I have see there since Yasi) then fished the reef and a wreck where we jigged up a couple of Spanish and a queenie and trevally....heaps of fun there trying to battle the sharks for our fish...…

We ended up making a quick dash home and got back to the ramp right on dark as we were concerned the young female wwoofer might not be so happy sleeping in the hammock or on the deck if the rain eventuated...looked like a good call in the end...if it were just me and the missus I would have stayed the night...just put the clears on and the cab is pretty well dry...

Apart from the expected humidity ATM how nice have the boating days been the past week.....Are you running a lure behind the kayak SF..?
S
Slipperyfish
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Slipperyfish »

Yes Scott, nice conditions today to be on the water.

Paddled around Tam O’Shanter this morning. No fishing, but do sometimes pack a rod. Plenty of turtles.

Nice 20mm late this arvo to cool things down. Might see some more later tonight.