Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Aurora Photography

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Aurora Photography

Post by daviescr »

Hi All, I recently made friends on Facebook with a chap who runs the Northern hemisphere Aurora Hunters - they do regular expeditions to 'Aurora Chase' up the Arctic circle. An incredibly knowledgeable chap, his website is a great source of fabulous photography and some great tips on photographing the elusive Aurora...

http://aurorahunters.com/?page_id=54

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aurorahu ... 4009274202
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Re: Aurora Photography

Post by Rivergirl »

Thanks Chris :) It's absolutely fascinating. I remember you saying you saw an aurora about 8 years back. Did you ever photograph it? Maybe the period you saw it has photos on this site. I can't wait till we get one here
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Hi Robyn - yes I saw the aurora up in scotland about 8 years ago or thereabouts, actually just outside St Andrews, while HRH Wills was studying there... I have got some pics, taken with a serious fish-eye camera - about $25,000 worth of kit at the time I borrowed from a friend. The pics were not too stunning, but definitely memorable... Will have a dig around and see what I can find...

Cheers Chris
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Wow would love to see them. I'm sure they are better than you think :) especially with all that equipment
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

Pictures taken of the Aurora by astronauts on the final shuttle mission.
Here's of them. Sensational..!! :D
"Aurora Australis or the Southern Lights can be seen on Earth's horizon and a number of stars are visible also," NASA officials said in a photo description. The image's long exposure led to streaks in Earth's clouds, giving it a sense of speed.

The southern lights, like their northern counterpart the northern lights, are auroras created by charged particles from the sun's solar wind interacting with Earth's atmosphere. The particles are funneled to the polar regions of Earth by the magnetic field, then emit brief flashes of light as they meet the atmosphere.
One of the STS-135 Atlantis crewmembers took this photo of the Southern Lights or Aurora Australis while visiting the International Space Station on July 14, 2011. Part of the orbiter boom sensor system (OBSS) is seen, as it was attached on the end of the shuttle's robotic arm (out of frame). A part of the port side wing of the shuttle is at right and a solar panel for the station is at left edge.
CREDIT: NASA

More from this link
http://www.space.com/12308-southern-lig ... photo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;