Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

2 years on from Black Saturday

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

2 years on from Black Saturday

Post by rikjpool »

lest we forget, 2 years ago many people lost their memories, livleyhoods, and their lives. RIP.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also for those who have not seen this incredible footage it is a must see.
I would give this a MA15+ warning (Language and distressing images in this video)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: 2 years on from Black Saturday

Post by Lily »

We still remember, how could any of us ever forget? :(

Haven't watched the links, will save this for later tonight once the kids are in bed but thanks for posting, Rik.
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Remember that day well. Still remember posting on the old weatherzone forums. Every hour the news got worst and worst.
fortius quo fidelius
fireone
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by fireone »

It has been a hard day for many in the fire areas, I can tell you.

Surprising though it seems to have escaped many peoples minds (the anniversary).

For many of us that were heavily involved with the huge, huge disaster we find it hard to understand that many, seem to have almost forgotten!!!.

Around the area today - other things were all the go.
FIREONE, Alexandra. { North Central } Vic.
M
Monbulkian
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Monbulkian »

My thoughts and prayers are with all those who were affected by the Black Saturday fires and their families. It is hard to believe that it has been two years and I do admit that the date did catch me by surprise. I guess the fact that there have been other weather events currently had distracted me from the date.

Living in the Dandenongs, Black saturday changed the way I feel about the bushfire risk. I have always been cautious but that day has made me more hightened to being prepared for the bushfire season. I have never had the intention to stay and defend my property, but now it is not an option for myself and my husband. I would rather leave the area early than have my children remember having to flee a fire.

I hope that the people who are still not back at their properties are not being held up by the government and red tape, and get back to their properties if they wish to do so
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

I certainly won't forget, and I didn't yesterday. I changed my FB profile picure to a yellow ribbon. Myself and my 2 children wore yellow ribbons. I didn't see anyone else that did. I plan on wearing mine each anniversary.

I have a friend whose parents live in Marysville and were there at the time, fighting to save their house...which they did, incredibly, as it's a log cabin style house. I have read several books (people's accounts) on that day, and I will never forget. I have also read my friend's Father's evidence at the Royal Commission, which sent shivers down my spine.

I have never seen PyroCu like this, and I hope I never do again...

(enhanced due to distance and haze)

RIP all those who lost their lives.
Online weather station: http://www.stormygirl.net/wx/
fireone
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by fireone »

Thanks stormygirl. Interestering.

I myself appeared as a witness at the Royal Commission and have been part of some books. CFA Involvement.

Monday was a hard day for many and, even though it was supposed to be low key many attended the 'get together' at Marysville last night.
FIREONE, Alexandra. { North Central } Vic.
b
blackmamba
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by blackmamba »

It's so crazy to think that so many people are still affected (and some will be affected for life) by this day! :(
RIP all who died.

Such an awful, awful day in our history.
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

3 years today, and I'm wearing my yellow ribbon again.

Lest We Forget.

There is a Documentary on ABC1 tonight called "Then The Wind Changed". Starts at 8:30pm

http://www.thenthewindchanged.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Online weather station: http://www.stormygirl.net/wx/
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Amazing 3 years already. Still remember what i did that day. Well actually was too hot to do anything so stayed inside with the Air Con on reading and posting on the Weatherzone Forums. Next couple of nights i was glued to ABC774 all night and day.
fortius quo fidelius
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Yes I watched that documentary tonight Stormygirl. Still find it very emotional like so many others espeically when they read out the names of the people that lost their lives that day. We escaped a bullet that day in the Dandenongs. Lest we forget.