Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Rain/Storm event: 29th Nov - 5th Dec (Obs)

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Rain/Storm event: 29th Nov - 6th Dec (Obs)

Post by Dane »

Just been hit by some fairly gusty westerley winds. Gusted up to 23 knots on my weather station. Winds dying away now though.
Duckey
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Rain/Storm event: 29th Nov - 6th Dec (Images)

Post by Duckey »

My pics of the cell which developed over Wonga Park/Croydon Nth at approx 5:15pm :D

Storm Nerd!!
Pengaz
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pengaz »

9mm in 3 mins at East Sale Airport- why am I down in Melbourne and not there?

Just waiting on a text to see how much we got at home....
Duckey
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Duckey »

My pics of the Lilydale cell have now been posted in the dedicated images thread for this event 8-)
Storm Nerd!!
damiantheomen
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by damiantheomen »

yeah just looking at the radar and sat pic looks like clear air behind - for the imediate melbourne and SE beachside burbs that is - elsewhere looks like arramageddon on the radar awsome cells up towards shep and echuca! nothing at all here all day a little dissapointed because the young fella loves the rain.

any news on the severity of the cell that hit yarra glen earlier - need to go pick up a load of turf tommorrow morning and Iust hoping it's still there! :P
Pengaz
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pengaz »

Interesting feature on the Yarrawonga Radar loop at the moment-Southwesterly wind change return echoes on the doppler???

Locusts swarm???
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

I managed to get out of work to try and intercept the massive cell that Meso and Brad were on that originated around Elmore. As I rushed down the Highway towards Axedale, I snapped this shot...
From there, I got to the Quarry on the otherside of Axedale, but the main core was already passed me over the road so I decided to stop of for a quick snap.
Afterwards, I decided to head back to Bendigo, so as not to get in to much trouble with the boss. However got caught in the RFD from this first cell and myself along with many others were forced to pull over to the side of the road as we endured strong winds, rain, and marble size hail for around 3 min. Afterwards, I got ready to go, and halfway back to Bendigo I saw a huge wall cloud coming over the hill behind me in my revision mirror. Pulling a U-turn this was my initial view.
As I watched for the next 5 min, it developed a nice lowering, but from what I saw never got lower than this.
Heading back through Axedale, back to the quarry, maybe a 5min drive it had gone to this...
It was wrapping up nicely, but at the same time seemed to be over extending itself.
I followed a little longer to near the Eppalock Spillway, where by this point the wall cloud had pretty much dissipated and was throwing tendrils of scud out.
So back home I went. A nice little 40km chase.
Still yet to see a single lightning bolt though. haha
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Full report and pictures can be found in the Pictures Thread....

I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
b1schn1
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by b1schn1 »

Pengaz wrote:Interesting feature on the Yarrawonga Radar loop at the moment-Southwesterly wind change return echoes on the doppler???

Locusts swarm???
No , we only have a few here so far, fingers crossed, its actually a strong wind coming from the south west, it has died down here, just waiting to see if it will divert the cell coming from Deniliquin more to the south of us, or not stop it at all :D
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by wolfcat »

but I have finished work.... where did all the storms go...

I am ready to take photos now....

was it something I said...
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

lol, yeah most of it died a sudden death. Still some nice cells on and north of the border, but apart from that I reckon we're about done for today.
Duckey
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Duckey »

wolfcat wrote:but I have finished work.... where did all the storms go...

I am ready to take photos now....

was it something I said...

:roffl:

Yeah I know what you mean! I was so exited driving home, didn't know where to look with all the menacing skies. Then a storm develops right overhead...and I didn't even get a DROP of rain out of it! Now clear skies and sunshine again :|
Storm Nerd!!
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

hillybilly wrote:Suddenly looks great out there as predicted by the models and the forecasts. EC has the peak rainfall right on Melbourne today so central areas are really in the box set. Must admit I'm a bit nervous about the veggie patch with the black cores going up.
CBD is no longer under threat. Residents east of Healsville should prepare for a severe thunderstorm in the near future. This thunderstorm is dangerous.
BTW I want to add be careful about issuing warnings.

EC way off the mark in general for most of Melbourne today as others have said its not the best model when it comes to Convective activity and storms I guess this enforces that.

Can't see much happening this evening in Melbourne but you never know
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

The Yarrawonga radar is amazing, what a line!
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

Meso wrote:lol, yeah most of it died a sudden death. Still some nice cells on and north of the border, but apart from that I reckon we're about done for today.
What do you think of our chances tommorrow?
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Slimmer, due to the fact the Mid levels are warming. Still a reasonable chance up your way Super but be more Isolated Tomorrow
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Second Storm over Mt D.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Like John said, less of a chance for tomorrow, but still isolated/scattered activity with the potential for further severe storms. Its more a hit and miss tomorrow.

Well, round 2 just finished here. Further heavy rainfall for about 20 mins, and now just light rain on the leaving anvil of the thunderstorm. Provided some fantastic CG strikes to begin with, and then mostly CC and CA, nevertheless, a beautiful summer-time thunderstorm. Round 1 for here was a severe thunderstorm, which produced 10mm in 10 mins and 2 1/2 cm hail.

Looking to my west to northwest, more towers shooting up, looking a little organised again, but I dont think it will get going this time. You never know.

Bad luck to all the Melbournians today. Ah well, there will be another shot another time. You never know, tomorrow might provide. But, its glad to see storms affecting everywhere in general today except the northwest.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

I think the activity will be less intense but as scattered as today. The warming in the mid levels is marginal at best and really doesn't set in till Sunday.

Expect scattered showers and thunderstorms developing from late morning with the focus shifting through C and E areas with falls of 25-50mm possible with any organised storm.

Isolated activity on Sunday but widespread storms tending extensive by Tuesday.

Karl @ Lilydale.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Picture without Lightning, has smoke and maybe Wedge tail (Big bird) looks like ant left of shot.