Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Troughy thundery humid rain event. Jan 9th -14th

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Troughy thundery humid rain event. Jan 9th-15t

Post by droughtbreaker »

Just emptied the gauge again. another 34mm or something like that. I actually lost about a mm and a half pouring the water at the bottom of the gauge back into the measuring tube. Anyway it probably doesn't matter now, we are getting so much what's a couple of mm mean, probably nothing.

164mm now since it all started back on Sunday.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Just had to duck out in the rain and couldn't get over how warm it is. You can just stroll along in the rain and not even be bothered by it, it's actually quite nice. Air is very thick tho as someone mentioned earlier.

Could be some problems here if this keeps up too much longer. The creek is running pretty hard, similar to last time we had a bit of flood here.

Should be some interesting totals around by tomorrow night.
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

It's been rain here again for ages but it's just pelting down now!!

Does anyone know what Melbournes record DP is? I just saw it reached 23.9c :o
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Synoptic at 7pm:

R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

30mm today so far and 155mm for the event, looks like it is easing at the moment but later tonight might be a problem. Actually looking towards the extra 45mm to get me to 200mm, won't be a massive problem if it all falls in 12 hours and never had that sort of fall in a month, let alone a week. :)

Rhino. :) :)
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

hillybilly wrote:BTW looking at the obs I'd expect both Viewbank and Laverton are at record high dewpoints now. From only a matter of time before Melbourne joins them.
Thanks hillbilly
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

On top of the rivers that are already flooded, I expect the Maribyrnong, Jacksons Creek, Acheron River, Yea River, Sunday Creek and the Lerderderg River to flood. I never expected a flooding event as large as this to happen. Just tipped out 25.5mm from the guage with perhaps another 10-25 to go.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

HarleyB wrote:On top of the rivers that are already flooded, I expect the Maribyrnong, Jacksons Creek, Acheron River, Yea River, Sunday Creek and the Lerderderg River to flood. I never expected a flooding event as large as this to happen. Just tipped out 25.5mm from the guage with perhaps another 10-25 to go.
Any rivers burst their banks yet? If so is there a list somewhere?
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Council fixed our drains, so our local rivers didn't last long. :)

I'd be fascinated to know how the local creek is going though, and the Stanley Park waterfall.
M
Microburst
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Microburst »

Rain has cleared here just moderate to strong wind from the NE. 23mm today so lucky to escape the rain i say.... Wimmera should be ok if there is not much to come....
s
solcampbell
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by solcampbell »

Last check of the Barwon River showed at 1.4m at 18:45. minor flood level is 2.5... We should be good hopefully. Has gone up 40cm in about 8 hrs. Still raining heavily here, at about 35mm since 9 am. About 70mm for the event so far
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Dont be fooled by the apparent clearance in the Wimmera, heavy rain will develop in the next few hours through there and the Mallee. Still plenty more rain to develop overnight, norwegian has the heaviest rain in Melbourne between 8am and midday tomorrow.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

Anthony Violi wrote:Dont be fooled by the apparent clearance in the Wimmera, heavy rain will develop in the next few hours through there and the Mallee. Still plenty more rain to develop overnight, norwegian has the heaviest rain in Melbourne between 8am and midday tomorrow.
I thought there was hope for up there :( Oh well hope the people up that way are gonna be safe
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

norfolk wrote:
HarleyB wrote:On top of the rivers that are already flooded, I expect the Maribyrnong, Jacksons Creek, Acheron River, Yea River, Sunday Creek and the Lerderderg River to flood. I never expected a flooding event as large as this to happen. Just tipped out 25.5mm from the guage with perhaps another 10-25 to go.
Any rivers burst their banks yet? If so is there a list somewhere?
I dont know of any place apart from http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/flood/ but you probably know about that one already. ;) Those were just my predictions of which Rivers i think might flood
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Wind has picked up in the last few minutes. Mt William is already getting 100 km/h + gusts - hope they stay there but fear they won't.

140 mm is our new total.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

The local creek here (Willimigongon Creek) is a fierce torrent flowing up to the top of the culvert now and should be over the road by tomorrow morning. This creek meets up with the other major creeks of the area and ends up in Riddells Creek which flows directly into Jacksons Creek. As we know Jacksons Creek meets the Maribyrnong near Keilor. Big concerns.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

I think the Coldstream gauge may be a bit broken. We are around 30mm today now just up the road.
M
Microburst
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Microburst »

yeah Sat pic is pushing most of the heavy storm cloud down through central vic i reckon but all the mods have heavy rain on the cards early tommorrow also... so will have to wait and see how it pans out... Gee if Mt William has already had nearly 100mm and if there is still more to come... they could crack 200mm
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Coldstream is good ILS...spoke with my brother and they had only had 12mm till 3pm, whilst here we have now had 31.5mm for the day. He did say he drove through it here and it was much heavier than Coldstream.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
M
Microburst
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Microburst »

So whats happening in eastern SA and western vic, radar suggest rain is breaking up... no rain here in Horsham for about 2 hours. Looks like the wind is blowing it apart....