Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Troughy thundery humid rain event. Jan 9th -14th

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Troughy thundery humid rain event. Jan 9th-15t

Post by norfolk »

Rain rain go away,
Please bring summer back one day!
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Council has left, apparently they need to get equipment that 'blows' out the drains and clears them. We have several rivulets gushing down our block and next door has a creek. The garden is going to be destroyed by this latest chapter in our ridiculous weather.

At least the rain has eased back for now.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

Power Storm wrote:We have had light rain for most of the day, except for this morning when we had 20mm quick time. Been around the area and just that 20mm is causing problems. Our local roads are cut-off again, farm tracks are washed out and cannot pass in some parts. Radar indicating a wet night for here with heavy rain, so not going to be good.
Take care Jake,

we have had 20mm today. nearly 60mm this past week. And over 70mm for the month!

Obviously more to come, and looks like maybe another 100mm month. How much more 100mm months can we get before something drastic happens here in Victoria?
J
Jayman
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Jayman »

this is unreal. the rain just keeps coming :o

all those years of hot and dry seem like a distant memory now.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Rain just started again here, about to see what we can add to our 34mm.

Mozzies were thick again, getting 2 in one swatt.
occluded
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by occluded »

32mm so far here today in the manual gauge (about 2 of that was from last night as I didn't empty it this morning).

Looks like the rain is finally making it over the ranges and has set in here nicely.

More SES crews from Melbourne have been requested to go to the North West to assist with the expected issues tomorrow. Ominous.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Well, we've made it to Eildon. Not much in the way of rain on the trip up here either. Foggy at the top of the Spur, quite thick for a few brief instants, then out the other side the spectacular view of beautiful countryside combined with the heavy, dark clouds and obvious thick rain to the NW was breathtaking. If the mountains had been a bit pointier (and the foliage a little different lol), it could seriously have been mistaken for Queensland countryside!

Neighbours have said it's been raining "heaps" the last two days (nice technical term there lol), the park is flooded in the usual spots and in some of the more unusual spots, indicating it's been pretty full on here. Rubicon at Tumbling Waters looks ready to break it's banks any minute, Steavonson's at Buxton is much the same, but Acheron doesn't look too bad just yet, swollen, but ok. Silly kids were swimming on boogie boards in it when I drove past, you'd have to be mad :?

Have emptied the gauge, so let's see what tonight and tomorrow brings :) Bit worried about the wind, the park is covered in gums that tend to fall over at even the hint of a gust, so a bit nerve wracking. Wasn't raining when I arrived, had a bit of a downpour (nothing heavy) but cleared again for now.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

By Radar, the low is near Renmark?? anyone?
Peter
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

norfolk wrote:Rain rain go away,
Please bring summer back one day!
... or send a drip or two into Gippsland.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

We're about to get pummelled!
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

And there is plenty more to come yet, there are signs that the big band GFS is talking about is starting to develop near Mildura. What is interesting is there is no upper low, hence no circulation. Will be worth watching as to whether it pushes SSE like it is now or gets sucked into the surface low and barrel rolls into it.

Either way, another 30mm at least for most areas of Central, possibly 50+. I think tomorrow morning we will wake to very heavy rain band on our doorstep.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
M
Microburst
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Microburst »

23mm here in Horsham but rain has stopped for a while, so maybe just maybe we wont get that 100mm they forecast....
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I suspect Melbourne and C areas will recieve around 100-150mm of rain out of this. Stay safe.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Karl Lijnders wrote:I suspect Melbourne and C areas will recieve around 100-150mm of rain out of this. Stay safe.
Karl you are always an optimist ;) Kinda hope we get 100mm but don't want any major flooding here! Can you please explain your thoughts behind this prediction??

This is looking a little ominous though...don't know if the models can quite handle this amount of humidity down here, we will soon see what the result is...
Last edited by I_Love_Storms on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Apparently in 3-4 hrs time we'll cop the worst. Numerous reports of trees down, highways blocked, and general chaos on the roads around here.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

up here, the rain is moving in now from the NNW - from the radar.
Peter
A
AmaroK
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by AmaroK »

Karl Lijnders wrote:I suspect Melbourne and C areas will recieve around 100-150mm of rain out of this. Stay safe.

Do Not Want!

Nothing but drizzle here for now, but thats a nice fat band moving in at the moment. Not a breath of wind. and still about 26...not Melbourne weather at all.
Jason: The Token Weather Noob
flatcam
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flatcam »

Has been bucketing down here for the last hour! Really heavy rainfall and the backyard is not slightly flooded. It's eased a bit now though.

Went for a drive just before and many of the family fishing lakes are flooded. One in Craigieburn is over the footpath :o

If places get this type of weather for the next couple of hours, things could get quite serious..

Cheers, Cam
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

Caution for people in the Bendigo area also torwards lake eppalock.. Water is completly covering roads, some impassable. Fresh runoff is also occuring from observing.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Didjman wrote:By Radar, the low is near Renmark?? anyone?
Peter
Not for me... yet. By the models we should have clear westerly movement into Mildura by now??