Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Cold Nights, Sunny Days.

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Cold Nights, Sunny Days.

Post by Wilko »

5c at 10.30 here in Highett
No chance of getting 14c in Highett today with cloud streaming in
Lucky to get to 10c I reckon !
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Wilko » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:45 am wrote:
Wilko wrote:5c at 10.30 here in Highett
No chance of getting 14c in Highett today with cloud streaming in
Lucky to get to 10c I reckon !
Knowing Melbourne, the cloud and fog will clear up and provide us with a max of 16 or 17 in the city, and 14 in other suburbs. No luck in getting cold maximums Lol...yet.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Still cold in the northern suburbs. here its up to 13c with the ESE gusting up to 16 knots (30kmh)
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Still 6.5 degrees here in Templestowe (Viewbank) and it's 1:27pm! I think we should rename this topic as "Chillwave" lol. Melbourne has only really had "Heatwaves" but I reckon this classifies as a "Chillwave" lol. It's lasted for song long that my car has been frozen for a week or more!
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

stevco123 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:19 am wrote:
stevco123 wrote:Knowing Melbourne, the cloud and fog will clear up and provide us with a max of 16 or 17 in the city, and 14 in other suburbs. No luck in getting cold maximums Lol...yet.
Fog has sort of cleared up more now but the temperature is still staying low. I doubt the suburbs will reach above 10 degrees today and the city may just get above. The city is currently 9.4 degrees.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Where the Easterlies have kicked in it is mild 13-14c temps thats all of southern parts of Melbourne in a line from Moorabbin to Werribee I would say, these easterlies are trying to push further north IF it gets to the CBD then expect the temp to jump up to 13-14c if it doesn't and the inversion stays intact over the Central and northern suburbs then it won't go above 10-11c. On my own facebook weatherpage I forecasted 11c for Melbourne Today even though the BOM had/have 14c.

Heres the link if you like to follow my forecasts and general news and pictures inregards to our weather and climate

http://www.facebook.com/JohnsWeatherChannelJwc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

First time all day that the sun has popped out, just hit 10.3C
Not a good day for washing the car my any means, but done in the cold with warm water in bucket.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Australis(Shell3155) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:20 pm wrote:
Australis(Shell3155) wrote:First time all day that the sun has popped out, just hit 10.3C
Not a good day for washing the car my any means, but done in the cold with warm water in bucket.
Don't break any windows Shell. My windows were frozen this morning so I had to use normal tap water.
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Ironically not far North of the Divide Max temps today were about 2c above average for late-June... (i.e. Bendigo got 14.8c)
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

10.5c maximum today and just dropped below 10c. very foggy for the first half of the day!
Go the bombersss!
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Frosty here this morning, 6th frost in a row, it got down to -0.6C after i left for work at 8am.
There were lots of white patches on the road going down to work.

When i got to work, the duckpond in the garden was completely frozen over, it is a small lake about as big as half a standard house block, ive never even seen ice on the edges ofthe pond in the 3winters that i have worked in the garden and today it was a sheet of ice, i was bowling green pine cones across it without breaking the ice :D very heavy frost in macedon, up in the trees and shrubs, not just on the ground. the duckpond still had ice on it at lunchtime.

We have mist tonight so i think that is the end of the run of really cold nights. All the frost has melted here, we had frozen lawns and soil continually from last wed night until sometime today, quite remarkable really.

the sunny days have been a real treat for this time of the year up here. def not the norm.

max temp of 7.5C today
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
a
adon
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by adon »

It was a lovely day up here today and even managed to take my jumper off for an hour or two but now we are paying for it! Bloody freezing again! High cloud is in the east though and don't know if that will help but it feels like a frost already so I doubt it.
occluded
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by occluded »

Top 9.9 degrees today at Viewbank after almost minus 1 overnight, JUST below double figures, only just though! Top at home was 9.5 degrees.

I did have to pick today of course to ride to work, fingers nearly froze off :) Plenty of frosts in the lower parts of Koonung Creek this morning.
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Strangely no wind and quite foggy here in Bayswater/Boronia this morning. Seems to have been an injection of Pacific Ocean/Tasman Sea moisture into the mix since yesterday.

Looking ahead, a ridge of High Pressure looks to be forming over the Riverina/Eastern SA and pretty much staying put for about a week. That'll probably mean colder minimums for the North/NE of the state since it should suppress the South-Easterlies which stop frosts, but warmer temps in the South as NWlys prevail. Perhaps a weak front on Friday.

Hopefully a barrage of decent cold fronts from the SW from July 4 onwards as the next LWT slowly drifts towards us. Most models indicate an extremely cold airmass South of WA then. But if another High ridges in over the continent, not much action unfortunately and day time temps could remain well above average and ski fields decidedly barren.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Much milder here today. Only got down to 7.0c overnight and currently 14.3c. First time above 14c since June 10.
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Entering heatwave territory now with temps hitting 16 -17c over large areas of the state, and some extraordinary high temps at altitude: i.e 11c at Mt William (1150m), 12c at Ben Nevis (875m). Tends to happen when you get Easterlies this time of year for days on end.

A classic example of this occurred in early July 2001.

Edit: Now as hot as 18c at Rutherglen.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Heat Wave here 15.2 lovely degree's. Love that sun ( at Present )
Heading to the hot house for some warm up..
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Just been digging around in the data:

Rutherglen's 18.5c so far today has only been exceeded this late in June only twice in the past 30 years (18.7c in 1984, 19.1c in 2005).
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Easterly breeze picked up overnight and lifted temperatures somewhat. The ice on the pond at work had gone this morning (been frozen for 4 days) and frozen patches on the lawns were thawed out too. Another glorious day in the bag and many more to come by the look of things. :D
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Certainly no heatwave here today. 10.4C maximum which is a fairly mild day for winter here but nothing noteworthy.

Straight back to 3.7C so another frost on the way probably.

Certainly a mild week ahead and could be the odd day into the high teens in Melbourne. This has happened many times before in June/July. The general pattern is for a big LWT surge in about 10 days time and the high ridge moving north, much closer to the normal winter position. With the intensifying -ve IOD expect good rain if it comes off and also a big cold air flush out over the continent. Most models have been on to this for several days and the SAM is currently tracking strongly negative.