Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria - Tropical rain event - February 2nd-8th 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
flatcam
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Victoria - Tropical rain event - February 2nd-8th 2010

Post by flatcam »

Thankyou very much Melsy and Meso!

You're exactly right Meso! I've been waiting forever to get something like that and am extremely happy we snapped that shot! We were extremely lucky to get the shot as well, as the shelf cloud weakend considerably and basically evaporated. I feel for the people who were under this beast. :o

There appears to be cells developing to our immediate West, so hopefully we should see a bit of rain here. We have had basically nothing here for the day. :(

Cheers, Cam :D
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

It's still monsoonal here, the street is a river. I just can't believe how heavy this rain is. I did see the sky go completely green, so there has been hail. I hope there isn't too much damage around.

LILY are you sorted?

You have to get that water out of the roof, same thing happened to my folks a few years back on Christmas day, the roof caved in on boxing day at the same time we were standing there the day before.

I wish I knew about the screw driver/bucket trick. I'd do it where the roof looks the lowest or is sagging!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK LILY
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Yes ILS...the training will start over us shortly and go into the night..going to be extremely wet by morning and i am having serious doubts i will be able to get to work in the morning..
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Looks like Kyabram got smashed with 40mm in about 15min according to BOM AWS. Impressive rainfall rate!
Mosaic
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Mosaic »

How much rain have you had Melsy? Just that my mother in law in away on holidays and wondering if I should check her abode tomorrow.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

I think it might be a long night ;)
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

I think Lily will be off the air for a while. I forget how many times she has had problems in the last 6 months.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Our turn might be finally on it's way going by the radar, the reports I've been reading on here have seemed a world away from here so far.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Trying to work out the speed of the mass that in is SA atm. I think its moving abt 60kph, so yall can have a nap till aboout 2-3am.

Gotta love the BOM 4.20 forecast for melb, still current.

Cloudy. Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Winds north to northwesterly averaging up to 30 km/h.
Last edited by mick on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melsy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by melsy »

Mosaic wrote:How much rain have you had Melsy? Just that my mother in law in away on holidays and wondering if I should check her abode tomorrow.
Just emptied the gauge. 19.5mm in that deluge.(Felt like a lot more than that) Total 29.5mm since this morning
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

Finally it's let up here to light rain, but the next train is streaming in off the central ranges and I think it will intensify as it approaches too. It looks like the leading edge is heading straight for the CBD too.
m
mantis
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by mantis »

Nothing here, but we dont need it anyway. Really hoping it stays to the north of us
Mosaic
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Mosaic »

Thank you Melsy, you have saved me a trip! Unless other business unfolds. Tks again. Upto 75mm, that Lyndhurst total is outragous. lots of records broken today/ tomorrow i bet.
g
greensyboy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by greensyboy »

Worthwhile for Metro switching from trains to boats?

http://yfrog.com/gywzjfj
Severe Weather Enthusiast
B
Bellarine
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Bellarine »

Laverton 132kmh wind gust :o

My flowerpots are all minipools !
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Thanks everyone for your quick advice, really appreciate it. Great bunch of people here :)

There was a bit of a lull in the rain so I went out and covered it myself, can't get SES at all, constantly engaged. The water's stopped running down the walls and out of the light switch. It was pooling on the timber floors (on concrete slab) so was a bit concerned about that as well. My husband's just got home - he and my daughter had made it to the Spur when they realised they didn't have the cabin keys!

Garage is flooded, front verandah ceiling is full of water (again, another remnant of the March hailstorm that just isn't fixed properly), garage roof still leaking (again, thank you hail storm) and of course the dining room (yes, you guessed it, hailstorm damage).

But we're ok. Thanks again all :D And apologies for being slightly panicked, I didn't know what to do :|
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Apparently every main street in Keysborough has been closed & just about every other is under a foot of water. This info from my idiot ex. husband who thought he would just go & have a look & nearly stalled his car crossing a flooded raod that a 4WD wasn't game to attempt!!!! He had just spent $1000 today on the car getting it fixed. And I had to listen to a running commentary for the whole drive. Utter eff wit!!! Rant over!!!!!!! :x
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

People are swimming on Ferntree Gully Road as every car is stuck in floods, Burwood Highway also the same.

Hampton Park has water up to the doorhandles of cars, Narre Warren has flooding galore and mates house is inundated.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Thankfully it looks as though the risk of large hail and destructive wind has passed (for the time being anyway) and that the very severe storms that were forming earlier are no longer eventuating and flash flooding and heavy rain is the main risk now.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Lily, glad the panic is over - and forgetting the cabin keys could be the best thing that's happened in all this... hope they are staying home now???

Stay safe m'dear

Crazy stuff and Greensboy - that image is crazy! Melbourne is crippled by the looks...