Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Rain/Storm event: 29th Nov - 5th Dec (Obs)

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Duckey
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Rain/Storm event: 29th Nov - 5th Dec (Obs)

Post by Duckey »

Ausmammal wrote:I too must say thank you to all who are posting all the pics. I don't get a good view from home so it is very much appreciated.
I'm 100% with you! The pics have been fantastic, considering everyone is spread out across the state it is great to have the visual of what otherwise we wouldnt see! :bringiton:
Storm Nerd!!
s
samueliza
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:
Location: Point Cook- or somewhere in Northern or Western Victoria!!!

Post by samueliza »

werribee looks ok now- seabreeze obviously kicked in and killed it for all us folk in the seasise suburbs. Amazing stuff near canberra atm.

Mt Gambier watch out! Our friend in Portland looks likely to cop something
Last edited by samueliza on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Some fantastic thunderstorm development across the state today. Great effort by everyone that has been forecasting!! :D

Melbourne was in the firing line again today, and will again be tomorrow. For here, thunderstorms developed to my west this time, instead of my east, and were hanging around to my northwest for a while. Pity steering was not towards the SE. However, I did manage to hear 2 claps of thunder and see one CG, so it at least kept me going for another day. But overall, another dud here for me since last Summer.

Interesting, large plume of smoke to my east atm, near the Otways perhpas. Very smokey around here.

Big storms near the western border atm.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Duckey
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Duckey »

Now gone SEVERE blue-black to the north east of us, and just heard the first long, low rumble of thunder....it's on it's WAY!! :D
Storm Nerd!!
D
Dez
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Dez »

Dissipated right in front of my eyes :(

(PM me for larger-version panoramas if interested :))
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

dam the lightning seems to have died off....

since its getting toward evening will this kill it off? was hoping for something in the dark!
Duckey
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Duckey »

Rain has started here now and thunder getting closer, but looking at the radar it is fading rapidly. Can anyone explain to me the science behind this? it looked to be building into a bit of a monster....what causes the rapid die-off?? :?:
Storm Nerd!!
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Pic from my brother in Gisborne - he was driving home from the City at about 4.30-5pm. Was taken about 7km's from Gisborne itself. Not bad for a phone cam:
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

hillybilly wrote:11mm up here in Ferny Creek. Storm band developed over us so we missed the best, though the event is up to a handy 32mm. Still painfully short of our annual average - need 7mm more.

BTW it might come as a surprise but Vic has only received an average of 9mm for the first two days of the month in total. We are seeing some big spot totals, but there are large gaps between them which means a set up like this isn't that effective as a rainfall producer overall. Put's the "we'll all be ruined" into perspective. Of course local areas are very very wet and people should keep an eye on the official warnings.

Got some vigorous runoff in the Dandenongs now, but the creeks are just running well.

Am looking forward to tomorrow :P then a hot sticky weekend (shame I'm spending it in Melbourne :roll: ).
It's places near Melbourne though where most of us live that are doing the best out of this so to most of us it is still very wet.

Probably about 24mm here now for the month, maybe a mm or two more, I haven't checked the gauge since the last shower.

1141.1mm for the year here before the last shower hit, so racing towards 1150mm and 1200mm for that matter. We only need to beat 1202.5mm (1995) to beat the previous wettest year since at least 1975. According to BOM records, Macedon Forestry had its wettest year in 1970 with 1217.3mm. I would say my location is directly comparable to that station, perhaps a little wetter. I would say there is an excellent chance at this stage to beat that so it is looking like it could be the wettest year since at least 1873. :o
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Thanks for the pics guys, keep em coming, some brilliant shots!!!
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

well round 2 seems to have died

is that it till tommorow or are the conditions good enough tonight for more to form without the heating of the sun?

(once upon a time i seem to remember night time storms so they do happen..what keeps them going?)

very still and quiet out, my dog is acting nervous and pacing again
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Things have cooled down quite a bit this evening. Maybe some more action tomorrow when the sun heats things up a little.
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Ausmammal wrote:
Towering Updraft wrote:The Black core near melton is apparently associated with a strong base and wall cloud. Brad is observing.

Would love to see a photo of that cell
I got plenty of pics and timelapse video........WOW! will post when I can but I have no PC to process them at the moment, What a beautifully structured cell and it all unfolded right in front of me (Craigieburn) in slow motion! I was amazed as this beast evolved, first producing a large elongated base and then later clearly rotating like a top, pulling inflow bands into curves around the meso and even managing to develop some 'rings of saturn' structure. I can imagine from some views this cell may have looked like a shelf cloud (front on) but I can assure all this was a significant rotating cell and that feature was actually inflow being dragged from the northeast around the front of the meso and into the updraft. I said to John earlier in the arvo that I really wanted a structured storm but come on! I wasnt expecting this treat, and so close to home again.

WOW WOW WOW!! :o
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

We don't need any more rain tonight. In some ways it will be better if there are no storms tonight. We are going to get at least enough over the next 5-6 days anyway.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Would be foolish to rule out anything further tonight. However to see any really big action we need convergence.

I think showers will continue right through the night. Tomorrow should be a re run, but hopefully much bigger.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

Yeas i agree but although the atmosphere has cooled down a little I have a feeling more storms may develop tonight
Yarrawonga Radar looks very active
20mm here this arvo...love it ! reminds me of when i used to live in Airlie Beach
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Calm but quite cool here, will have to sit on our 11mm until hopelly an encore tomorrow.
D
DarkEye
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by DarkEye »

The photos are impressive, most impressive ;)

A very memorable day for most of the state, my end got some thundery rain which was about it, only lightly raining now.
T
Timster
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Timster »

Love the photos, really disappointed that I missed out today, the fronts split and passed us by.
Maybe tomorrow. Will be in the CBD and will take the camera with me!

Just outside looking at the 50mm + anthills that the little critters are forming.... Only happens when we're gonna get a lot of rain...
:o
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by wolfcat »

( both click through for bigger )

This is the cell that passed over Melton this evening...

And the obligatory rainbow photo