Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Trough - showers/rain/storms - 6th-10th November

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Trough - showers/rain/storms - 6th-10th Novemb

Post by apocalypse »

Got held up for a while behind a long line of traffic during a storm yesterday. A fire service car and other cars with flashing lights passed me as they turned back, and as I continued down the highway I saw trees snapped into pieces and debris on the road, the damage was quite random with some of the trees being close and some further up.
Originally I thought it was lightning damage, but now looking at the radar and doppler returns I'm thinking it may have been a possible tornado. Might go back and get some pics of the damage today.
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

Twister » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:31 pm wrote:
Twister wrote:OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG WWWWOOOOOOWWWWW

Was out on the halls gap storms and WOW Chased them from the NE all the way to MElbourne and all i can say is WOW

The cells over insane Halls gap were insane Massive MAssive Concevtion and cells was unreal and they were putting out amazing wall clouds and sure i saw a tornado at one stage but way to far away and more likely scud but it was amazing
Then got smashed by the cell loads of flooding rain and hail from 5c to $1 size and there was loads of it to Insane lowering s under the inflow it was just nuts and the structure was out of this world was like the plains

Hoping can link some pics up for you on Friday

Followed these storms to MELB were they just exploded even more was unreal to watch and the hail shafts on the back edge were awesome to see.

Best day and I am going to Miss Vic So much

Got Insane convection overshooting tops quite a few impressive wall clouds Loads of hail AND THE TREE DAMAGE OMG So many large trees down over the roads had to stop a few times to clear roads Massive tree litter and loads and loads of Hail it was unreal

Gonna miss your enthusiastic posts from VIC, Deano! Just make sure you keep that enthusiasm alive in SE QLD....which I don't think will be difficult to do! Best wishes!!

I seemed to have largely missed out on most of the action by being stuck in the middle! Missed the core of the 2nd cell by about 2km's (no hail) and missed a lot of the rain that developed up north later in the evening, although I did empty out 20mm, so I'm happy with that! It was pretty incredible standing outside watching the 2nd cell approach at a really past pace, turn green as it flashed above and hardly hearing any thunder...then about 5 minutes of squally rain and the wind change (which looked awesome on doppler!). Glad I saved some of the radar frames too!

Fantastic pics to all who braved and went out! Storms, dinner and kids kinda don't really mix, so I couldn't go anywhere, unfortunately, just snapped away on the mobile and camera from home.

Bring on the next ones!!!
Online weather station: http://www.stormygirl.net/wx/
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

44.3mm was my 24 hour rainfall total to 9AM this morning, brings the event total to 65.4mm :)

Looks like things are gonna be very quiet for much of the next 7 days... :P
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

My best pic from yesterday, you can even see where the screw from the bar end went in!
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

About 13.6mm recorded back home since 9am yesterday. Bit of a ho hum yawn event for my area, but glad all of you out in the southeast got some real action.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
G
GregSorenson2
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by GregSorenson2 »

fantastic work guys and gals, epic images and reports:)
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

I see my images didn't work so here goes again. Watching the monster from the Docklands

That's nasty Mick.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Holy crap, RG, that first one is spectacular! What a monster!!

You guys down south definetly faired best yesterday by the looks of it.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Thanks Meso. Pardon my ignorance but is it a shelf cloud or a wall cloud, I'm learning :)

Edit: Just googled, pretty sure it's a shelf cloud
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

It's a beautiful shelf (the leading edge of the storm, the bottom half is shaped by the outflow winds, the rest of the circular shape is probably more due to the winds aloft and the updrafts). The whole thing is also what some mgiht refer to as a "Mothership".

A wall cloud is more of a discrete lowering.
G
GregSorenson2
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by GregSorenson2 »

Great pano RG, a cracker!
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Anyone else see these in the Sun...

US style hail right there!
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by wolfcat »

Emptied 32mm out of the gauge this morning, not forgetting that 21mm of that came from one cell in under 10min...

as others have said, lucky those cells were fast moving, or there would have been a lot more flooding.

Not being able to see more than 20 metres in front of the car due to rain is more than disconcerting, that and the thump of hail on the car...... lucky no dents, but it sure did sound solid.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Thanks so much Meso, I was a bit confused as I thought it was a shelf cloud but some people mentioned wall clouds on here. Also as it started building the word mothership and a few others came to mind lol. I was so lucky to score these photos. I was in a restaurant at the Docklands with my son but spent more time outside photographing the incoming storm.

Thanks Greg.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Meso » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:59 pm wrote:
Meso wrote:
Steve, good to see you back on the horse! And in style too, thats a cracker! Wish I could get some coastal storm shots...
Thanks man! unfortunately I'm not really back as far as chasing goes as I borrowed the old mans car for a short time which was a real rush job getting to the bay and back. I just caught the edge of the first storm in the car and barely made it back home before the second made a direct hit at my place, when I got in the driveway it was right on top of me (it was frustrating seeing what I could see out the window and stuck in traffic but got under cover in time)

Thats still a nice shot Meso, daytime CG's that stand out like that look really good!

There's a lot of awesome pics in here, the pano is fantastic Robyn!

Seems like photoshop is not agreeing to do my pano's properly, I find it does this when there's no solid or hard edge objects for it to align things up, gonna need to do a lot of manual work
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

I just sent my pano of the Mothership to Mike Larkin on Channel 10 news and he loved it. It's on at 5.55pm tonight on Channel 10 news :)

Aus Twisted, I had some problems with photoshop last night stitching photos. The worst time was when I photographed a rainbow over the city and it kept putting kinks in the rainbow, it was a pain.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Wooohoooo!!!! Gooooo Robynnnnnn! :applause: :cheers2:
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Here's some more shots from Edithvale beach

What it looked like shortly after I turned up

Getting closer, had the 10 - 20mm lens on now

After the last few pics was blasted with strong winds and sand, not sure on the speeds but it was very strong. My backpack still has sand in it, everything else had sand on it including camera and lenses
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Well, what can I say - a superb event, and some stunning images too - well done! And Robyn - that Docklands pano is a doozer - not surprised CH10 jumped at it! Very well done, you had an awesome vantage point.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Thanks Lily and Chris, and welcome back Chris :) Wow more awesome pics AUS_Twisted. I love the colour of the sea against the darkness of the storm. Stunning! Wolfcats seascape with the jetty and low, low clouds was just amazing too.