Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Low pressure system. March 4th-10th 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Leasy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Low pressure system. March 4th-??? 2010

Post by Leasy »

Can see the storm to my south, looks pretty nasty! To my west and northwest there's not much going on - but anyone to my south looks to cop it sweet!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

AV, I wasn't home for that one either :roll: :grumpy: , so didn't get to watch on radar or anything. In fact, I haven't seen a storm at home since before Christmas! I'm not so sure I want this one to get down to us camping here at Inverloch, there'll be a mad scramble to pack everything up and tie everything down lol.
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Goodluck Melbourne....I hope you all make it through. Looks bloody nasty.

Brad and I are 50km South of Kerang tracking an enormous SC, with amazing LL inflow...it is vacuum cleaning the atmosphere of all the low convection, and has a second behind it...might not look as good on Radar but its at long range...Chaser convergence coming with Jimmy D and Nick. Anyone in the area just let me know if you want to join Victorias biggest chase day!
D
Dez
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Dez »

OMG Craziest thunderstorm ever!!! I spent like 5-10 minutes just takng photos and recording the scud. I'll upload them soon!! Massive gusts with hail. AT once, visibility went so short. Now you can see sheets of rain and the hail never covered the whole ground. Heal was around 20cent coins.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - MELBOURNE AREA

for DAMAGING WIND, FLASH FLOODING and LARGE HAILSTONES

For people in the Inner, South East, Eastern, Northern, Western, Port Phillip and parts of the Geelong and Bellarine Peninsula, Mornington Peninsula and Outer East Local Warning Areas.
Issued at 2:30 pm Saturday, 6 March 2010.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 2:25 pm, very dangerous thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Melton, St Albans, Sunbury and Werribee. These thunderstorms are moving towards the southeast. Very dangerous thunderstorms are forecast to affect Caulfield, Craigieburn, Footscray, Glen Waverley, Greensborough, Melbourne City and Preston by 2:55 pm and Dandenong, Frankston, Ringwood and Scoresby by 3:25 pm.
Other severe thunderstorms were located near Ballan, the area south of Ballan, the area west of Gisborne and the area west of Woodend. They are forecast to affect Bacchus Marsh, Gisborne, the area west of Sunbury and the area west of Werribee by 2:55 pm and Whittlesea, the area south of Werribee, the area south of Whittlesea and the area west of Whittlesea by 3:25 pm.
Damaging winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.
Large hail has been reported at Melton from these thunderstorms.
Wind gusts to around 100 km/hr have been recorded at Melbourne Airport.
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

5 thunderstorm in row here they are just all lined up its great Boom after boom and getting bigger loving it

HUGE storms down south about to leave now so annoyed its so late
Now Living in Wet QLD
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

Copied it for prosperity!

Getting dark here now and I'm about to pull in the washing. Take care everyone, I'm heading out to the pub and will probably be driving through it (unintentionally!)

Instability....I hope you have secure tarps on your reno!! :lighting:
Online weather station: http://www.stormygirl.net/wx/
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Thunder here :bringiton:
fortius quo fidelius
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Thunder now, lots of scud doing interesting things, i.e getting sucked up and rotating.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

I reckon the hail is about the size of a golf ball here!! This is a first for me! This pouring here!!
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
typhoon29
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by typhoon29 »

well that was fun!! we got in about 6 overs we were batting about 1 for 30, and then midnight turned up in the shape of a supercell. Lightning was unreal. Very heavy rain and hail (approx 2cm in diameter not much though). The oval turned into a lake.

Off to Hamilton now.
Ballarat, Home of the Anti-Thunderstorm Shield!
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Temperature is 17C here now, before the storm! God knows what it will be after, probably down to 10C. :o
typhoon29
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by typhoon29 »

Lily wrote:SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - MELBOURNE AREA

for DAMAGING WIND, FLASH FLOODING and LARGE HAILSTONES

For people in the Inner, South East, Eastern, Northern, Western, Port Phillip and parts of the Geelong and Bellarine Peninsula, Mornington Peninsula and Outer East Local Warning Areas.
Issued at 2:30 pm Saturday, 6 March 2010.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 2:25 pm, very dangerous thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Melton, St Albans, Sunbury and Werribee. These thunderstorms are moving towards the southeast. Very dangerous thunderstorms are forecast to affect Caulfield, Craigieburn, Footscray, Glen Waverley, Greensborough, Melbourne City and Preston by 2:55 pm and Dandenong, Frankston, Ringwood and Scoresby by 3:25 pm.
Other severe thunderstorms were located near Ballan, the area south of Ballan, the area west of Gisborne and the area west of Woodend. They are forecast to affect Bacchus Marsh, Gisborne, the area west of Sunbury and the area west of Werribee by 2:55 pm and Whittlesea, the area south of Werribee, the area south of Whittlesea and the area west of Whittlesea by 3:25 pm.
Damaging winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.
Large hail has been reported at Melton from these thunderstorms.
Wind gusts to around 100 km/hr have been recorded at Melbourne Airport.

Yup Ballan copped it sweet. :mrgreen:
Ballarat, Home of the Anti-Thunderstorm Shield!
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

The sky has gone VERY green, hail for sure. It's looking really, really nasty out there. Take care everyone!! Constant distant thunder now, temp is plummeting.
Leasy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Leasy »

We are about to cop what looks like armaggeddon!!!!!!! Black as to my west, I think I'm Gunna retreat!
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Power Storm wrote:That is a VERY dangerous thunderstorm, glad the BoM updated that warning. I wish it was here ... ;)

Expect hail in that to be possible up to golf ball size judging by radar and flash flooding is a certainty. I am getting reports of rotation in that cell near Melton and it could produce winds above 100 km/h with convective gusts.

The thunderstorm to the northwest of it is also VERY dangerous and radar did indicate a possible tornado in it near MAryborough.
Just as I forecast Skywalker ... :D
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

15mm in 7 minutes at Melbourne Airport. Whoah!
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Got 20mm in 20 min here with small hail, water was coming up through the stormwater outlet it was that heavy.

Rhino. :) :)
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV65752.shtml

BOM have again updated the Thunderstorm Location map to show the second storm in behind this one. Also is now showing the storm tracking in a more easterly direction than earlier. Sorry, again I can't C&P the map here, if someone else can do it that would be handy :)
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Thunder sounds like it is coming from the anvil, it sounds miles away but it is close if you know what I mean. Genuine looks nasty out there, scud darting about all over the place, getting ready for a smashing. :o