Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Day to Day Weather Talk

Event discussion and analysis for Victoria and Tasmania, including day to day weather.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Day to Day weather talk

Post by norfolk »

another day where the further inland u go in melbourne the hotter it is....34.0 in Coldstream.

and a dewpoint of 21.9...now I dont know much about dewpoints, but I would say thats quite high!

Here dewpoint is about 16.9 and temp about 28.0
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Have to agree PalmTrees, I was stuck at home with a dodgy evap cooler system. Got to 36.8 outside with 63% humidity at 4pm. However, reached 31.5 and 91% indoors at around the same time! Just hideous when you are running around after a 10 month old uber-crawler

Not much better at nearly 11pm - 27.5 and 80% now. Can't sleep in this, might go and sleep in the spa
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

In the past 11 months and 6 days (From March last Year) Melbourne has recieved 880mm with still 3 weeks of Feb to go, how many times in past history has Melbourne recieved 900mm+ in a 12 month period? I wouldn't say often probably half dozen times at best. Since November 2009 (Past 15 months Melbourne has receievd 1135mm of rain) Its hard to think now only few Years ago Melbourne was only getting 400mm or so in a calendar Year
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

johnno wrote:In the past 11 months and 6 days (From March last Year) Melbourne has recieved 880mm with still 3 weeks of Feb to go, how many times in past history has Melbourne recieved 900mm+ in a 12 month period? I wouldn't say often probably half dozen times at best. Since November 2009 (Past 15 months Melbourne has receievd 1135mm of rain) Its hard to think now only few Years ago Melbourne was only getting 400mm or so in a calendar Year
From one extreme to the next.....no wonder we are in dire straits with all these floods.

Let's hope what someone told me just as we were starting to get this rain comes to fruition, short term pain for long term gain. Although all those people that have had multiple floods in the towns and houses etc, probably dont think this is a short term pain....more like a long term pain!! :)
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

You should all be thankful that SST are at record levels...

Imagine how cold it would have been yesterday..

Actually, maybe their not.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

LOL! That graph is awesome!!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Anthony Violi wrote:Anyone seen this piece of stupidity? Once people start thinking with their brains instead of the rear ends you would be surprised how good this country could be.

http://jennifermarohasy.com/blog/2010/1 ... oded-area/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SNOWY Hydro chief executive, Terry Charlton, recently confirmed that water was dumped into the already flooded Murray-Darling Basin, but said the authority had little choice (The Australian, December 15, 2010, page 7). A real time operational diagram, however, tells a very different story.

Last Wednesday, Snowy Hydro could have sent water into Eucumbene dam. At only 20 percent it had a storage capacity of a whopping 4 cubic kilometres of water.

Instead, the water managers set the trans-mountain tunnels so water was flowing away from Lake Eucumbene at over 80 cubic metres per second (6,912 megalitres for Wednesday).

Water was filling Talbingo and forcing releases from Jounama pondage into the already spilling Blowering Dam, threatening the township of Tumut and adding to the crisis along the Murrumbidgee River.

As if this wasn’t enough, the real time operational diagram for Wednesday December 8, 2010, shows that this water, drawn from Eucumbene, was also being used by Murray electricity generators pushing even more water directly into the Murray Darling Basin.

“Mr Charlton was incorrect in saying that generation was only from inflows below Eucumbene last Wednesday, although they were large at the time,” a source told me this morning.

“Why weren’t Mr Charlton’s water managers pushing the water back for storage into Eucumbene from the Tumut system,” he asked.

Tumut River residents were issued with urgent evacuation orders last Thursday after the increase in outflows.

Desperate farmers phoned Snowy Hydro last week asking why flood waters were being sent west, rather than east to Lake Eucumbene, given this dam was less than half full, but their calls were ignored.

The Snowy Mountains Scheme was built for the storage and diversion of water with hydropower generation as a by product.

Current and past employees claim that the current board and management are now driven almost exclusively by money.

“The management are setting the business up for sale when the NSW government changes next year,” said one source. “They want the balance sheet to look as good as possible so [we] are generating [power] like mad, even when electricity prices are low and irrespective of downstream impacts.”
A long time coming Anthony, but a bit of cage rattling by the ABC this evening: http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2011/02/15/3139726.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

Ended up being a perfect day today, with lots of sun and no rain (apart from last night of course). Was a bit breezy and still quite humid for my liking!
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

Clouds have finally cleared out in Dunolly ..Nth central district.5% cloud . Wind..still. and still a little warm.
Interesting looking synoptic chart tonight. Just wondering what that 'low trough will bring' Looks about 24plus hours away. Can Anyone can give me some clues :? .
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Gawd! it was freezing here today, breezy showery and cold. beanie and scarf :o
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

Only briefly got to 19.6 here today before quickly dropping back to 17 for the rest of the afternoon. Glorious weather IMO today. Just the perfect temperature for me to function properly :P
Robbo
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Robbo »

Macedonian » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:47 pm wrote:
Macedonian wrote:Gawd! it was freezing here today, breezy showery and cold. beanie and scarf :o
Sure was ,i work in New Gisborne ,"Macedonian" :)
But leaving Daylesford this morning it was only about 7 *C.............brisk Summers morning!!
A chilly day in both areas,wont be long & the lights will be on ,the Black Forest,eh.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Came home to 12.4C this evening and dreary grey skies with a bit of wind around. I thought I'd got in a time machine and been transported to late April.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Enjoy another week of it :)
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Beg to differ Palm trees, absolutely loving the lower humidity - so much more productive in this. Just nice to have such variability in our weather. I'd be bored stiff if it was just sun sun sun all the time
Robbo
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Robbo »

Cool,windy,all day,thought i was in September for a moment.. :(
Noticed the Grape vine leaves are browning already,The Poplars are browning too,real early this "Summer".. :D
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

PalmTrees » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:31 am wrote:
PalmTrees wrote:What a horrible day yesterday. One of the worst "summer" days I've ever experienced here :x Hasn't felt like summer much this year and it's starting to annoy me.

I'm sure the Climatoligists will beg to differ and say its been a Hotter than Normal Summer lol
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

But your right Palmtrees not sure about the rest of Victoria but its offical that February 2011 on average with the Maximum temp has been cooler so far than March 2010.. March average Maximum for Melbourne was 26.2c, Feb 2011 so far its been 26.0c and with more relatively mild weather coming up the next week expect that to drop off bit more + the fact the CBD is an heat island effect so that should really be around 25.0c
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

LOL!! I love how we were supposed to be burning through 50C weather - as we were told by many in the know years back! We cannot scrape 2 days here above 20C! Stunning turn around in conditions.

I am enjoying the cooler weather, be nice to get some more warmth and storms before we go into the colder months,

17.7C yesterday here and 19.4C here today!!
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

Some more storms would be great, haven't had many here for us armchair chasers, remember last April's storms so right up until may isn't out of the question for storms.