Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Thundery Warm Weather - April 19-22nd 2012

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Re: Thundery Warm Weather - April 19-??? 2012

Post by 93ben »

No storms here today for Templestowe. Hopefully we get something tomorrow afternoon as what they're saying on the news and the BOM. Plus GFS is suggesting that thunderstorms are possible for tomorrow in the Central area around 5pm http://forecasts.bsch.com.au/stormcast? ... #stormcast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Even though the LI isn't extremely with -2, the sounding looks good for storms but not severe, theres no cap what so ever. I guess its good to get some storms going, but it would be good if some of the energy was trapped until the afternoon to get some decent storms. ;)
Go the bombersss!
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

I must add, theres going to be great shear as well ! :)
Go the bombersss!
M
MurrayRiver1712
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by MurrayRiver1712 »

A thunderstorm just blew through Echuca, very heavy rain for 10 minutes with lightning and thunder. Sure feel sorry for the handful of people i seen camping out Torrumberry earlier today, they just got very very wet in the middle of the night, not nice.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Oh well, that's my sleep over for the night, woken by thunder and torrential rain at 5.30am, which was a nice surprise!
Looks like good potential for more moving in as the day progresses too. :D
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Yep, another early riser here thanks to some lively weather moving through. Woke me at 5.30 on the dot too, Geoff :D Only caught a few CC's and the tail end of some heavy rain which quickly flattened out to a soothing pitter patter on the roof. Time for a coffee!
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Lots of thunder & lightning overnight here, with 12.5 mm in the gauge - our best fall for over a fortnight.
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

2mm here overnight, no thunder though but rain was heavy for 2 mins and will see what eventuates today, not expecting much though.

Rhino. :) :)
occluded
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by occluded »

5.00am here almost on the dot :-) Long roll of thunder then the rain cranked up for a bit. 5mm.

Even managed to get back to sleep too.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Slept through it all but not the perfect day for a nude model I'm photographing in my garden today. Bit chilly but at least it's not Tuesday lol
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

First red echoes starting to appear from those bands of showers approaching from the west, expect to see them exploding from now on with diurnal heating kicking in. I'm getting out in the garden to do a bit while I can!
Rivergirl wrote: not the perfect day for a nude model I'm photographing in my garden today.
Lol Robyn, I hope it's not Ken, I'm trying not to picture that image in my mind! :o
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

lol no it's not Ken, he just had to leave for Thailand rather reluctantly before she arrives :P
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

What's your address again Robyn?? haha

Was a lovely surprise this morning, massive flang at 5.20 (actually the lightning woke me). Was sleeping in the back room due to an earlier *very* noisy party on my street and had a perfect view of it coming in. Very heavy rain for just under 10 mins, pulled 4.5mm from that plus another 3mm in the steady rain for the next half hour. Saw some lovely crawlers (with amazingly little noise) right overhead.

Looking nice for this arvo for southern regions - should be some picturesque coastal storms rolling through. :)
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Good convection with high tips north of here, looks good as!
Go the bombersss!
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Damn it, that storm north of here exploded in the last couple of frames. Too late to go after it now.
M
MurrayRiver1712
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by MurrayRiver1712 »

Is that thunder i hear, it sure is WOW, there is blue sky out of my right window, looks a bit nasty our my left kitchen window though.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Radar looks like it as tiger stripes through central areas lol! Will make for an interesting Sunday afternoon for those of us who manage to get under one of them. Thanks to Geoff, I now have images of Ken looking like a whimsical nymph traipsing through Robyn's garden while she snaps some pics of him LMAO :P
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

Alas I missed this morning's thunderstorms here in the Dandenong Ranges, I slept right through it :(

5.2mm in the gauge at 9AM, a pretty good start, on top of the 3.2mm I collected at 9AM yesterday morning :)

Couldn't believe how foggy it was yesterday morning, and yet it's a stark contrast to today (almost as blustery as springtime) :P peaked at 25.2C just after midday

Good thing I grabbed the camera before heading to church down in Dandenong this morning, stopped at Berwick to get some pics of the approaching storms on the way home :)

It's getting dark outside, that cell that brushed Viewbank should hit my area in about 10 minutes

Edit: started raining now :)
Last edited by aussiestormfreak on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Signs of some rotation on the northern cell going by doppler, cells over the ocean have looked fairly decent but nothing good so far close.
Duckey
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Duckey »

Am I dreaming or was that a possible hook echo on that cell sweeping over Mangalore? Black core too....
Storm Nerd!!