Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic - Potential showers/storms - 21st Dec to Boxing Day 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Vic - Potential showers/storms - 21st Dec to Boxing Day

Post by Meso »

HarleyB wrote:Meh, looking like a terrible system for us unless we can get under some storms. At the moment it is looking like our driest month in 31 months here. Only 10mm so far for us, and still yet to reach the 700mm annual total :?
Fair chance Seymour will get under a storm Xmas Eve or Xmas Day. I'm staying in Gippsland for the next few days so I'm liking this setup. East should begin to fire up tomorrow with the ranges the most likely area for development, but the whole eastern half of the state a chance apart from the far eastern tip. Saturday central, north and east a good chance and Xmas day looking the most severe of the sequence with central, north and east again looking like the best areas. West of the state may miss out completely, but they had their fun last weekend. :P

Boxing Day looking more like a NSW event now.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

West of the state may miss out completely, but they had their fun last weekend.
Majority of western Victoria had fun last weekend, we missed it all, 5mm is all we achieved.

Certainly looks like an interesting period though!! Might miss out here on Sunday, although Saturday looks alright for here at this stage.

All the AWF forecasts have been updated: http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.com/main.html, including the AWF Thunderstorm Forecast: http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... ecast.html
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Hmm IMO GFS still looks pretty good. Still in the ball park with potential for some nice upgrades if things fall into line. I reckon between 20-50 for areas in Central with potential for higher if things line up properly.

BTW GFS has looked like this for Xmas day for several runs now Image
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

GFS still hasnt altered much at all, CMC agrees and Access is coming and going with the same scenario.

Actually GFS looks like it might linger the trough until May. Whilst the tropics enjoy the monson trough, we will enjoy the 145 day trough. Not going to be many days without the potential for rain in the next 4 months.

We usually do well in these set ups, and given Dps are already in the high teens as of yesterday afternoon, it will explode at some point and repeat the 70-100mm falls of last weekend somewhere, the question is where?

Steering flow will be slack yet again so flooding is likely. I personally think Xmas day Vic will be torn a new one.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Interesting one, activity might be a little more widespread today than initially thought. Here is the thunderstorm discussion for today:
Discussion for Friday:

Issued at: 11:16 AM Friday 23rd December.

Morning update. Conditions are still expected to be quite unstable across the majority of the state for today. Most variables are looking generally good for thunderstorm development through most areas. A trough is expected to be within the region, which will cause fairly widespread instability, particularly about the ranges, with Lifted Index values predicted to reach -4 in some locations. Moisture is expected to have also increased across the majority of the state compared to Thursday; this can be seen on the latest observations which are indicating surface Dew Points into the mid to high teens across most of Victoria. Upper temperatures are expected to be cold enough to support development today as well, particularly for southern regions of the state. Isolated thunderstorms are possible anywhere across the state today, except in the far west where whilst moisture levels look okay, instability is not as great as in other areas of the state. The greatest risk area for thunderstorm development is expected to be over the ranges where extra forcing is available. Shear also looks favourable for development across most of the state, however it appears that the speed of thunderstorms will not be overly fast. Therefore in regards to severe phenomena, flash flooding is the biggest threat in thunderstorms thanks to the high moisture content in the atmosphere for today, followed by large hailstones thanks to the colder uppers, and then damaging winds which are only possible due to slack shear. Seabreezes along the coast today could either enhance development or minimise it, a seabreeze convergence line is a possibility in the south of the risk area today, but due to the nature and complexity of today, a seabreeze could also wash out any convection near the coast. In the west, there is a risk for much more drier thunderstorm activity compared to than in the east, although this is not certain. Movement of thunderstorms at this stage is most likely to be towards the east. There will be no out of routine update today.

Next Update is due by 9:45 PM Friday 23rd December.
You can see the chart here, http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... ecast.html or below at the bottom of the page.

So might be a more interesting one than originally thought for today. As for Saturday looks similar with action statewide. On Christmas Day, I have actually noticed the latest couple of GFS runs hold the trough back a few hours than originally anticipated, which means that showers/storms may in fact have to be reintroduced to the Southwest forecast district. Otherwise, looks very unstable with showers/storms on Christmas Day, potentially some nasty ones too with flash flooding a 100% probability.

As for here at home right now, it's 25 degrees with a DP of 20!!! Nearby AWS also showing high teen DP's and warm temperatures. But it feels so hot out there!!
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Today is a complex one. I agree mostly with Jake's forecast, however feel that southern Central will be marginal due to seabreeze. It is particularly interesting though as the seabreeze convergence could spark severe activity over parts of Central as we have seen on numerous occasions in the past 12 months. At this stage though, I would think that most activity would be on N and NE ranges as seabreeze already looks to be playing a part looking at observations. Would like to see northerlies push down a little more for our chances down south to increase a bit more.
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

Yeah I agree with you guys on this one, today's gonna be a complicated setup, anything could happen...

Got up at 5:30 to photograph a gorgeous sunrise, a rather chilly, moist 15.8C at the time, looked fairly unstable out there... now it's heating up rapidly 28.4C already, hoping convection will start to fire up soon, particularly here in the Dandenongs :)
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Seabreeze already in here so can't see anything in Melbourne Today but theres some sort of chance 20-30ks away from the Coast/Bay NW, North, NE & East of Melbourne.

I also expect storms to be slow moving Today as Jake suggested and move either East or NE
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

30°C here with a Dp of 18°C. Very steamy and hot!!! ;)
Go the bombersss!
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

what time are the storms expected to develop? looks like being pretty late? nothing remtoely storm looking out there at the moment
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

Definite towers going rapidly within the last 20mins.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Very crisp convection to north and west. Clear air a real winner and some areas gonna get hammered!
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Wow, Wow, Wow is all I can say. Went to the Supermarket, Clear blue skies overhead....

15min later and there is convection galore! I mean everywhere. Chuck a pair of sunnies on and watch the "timelapse" right in front of your eyes!!! Amazing developement. I was going to head down Macedon way and see if anything pops up, now im just gonna wait around here!

I kid you not... This sky was absolutely clear only 15min ago... I mean there was NOTHING there before!!
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Got a pretty poor view out to the west from Mulgrave right now, but can just see the turkey tops popping up, perhaps 50k's away to the WNW, looking exciting :D
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Large convection to the NW!!!! Might post pics later
Go the bombersss!
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

I put some sunnys on and am watching these towers going up like a timelapse it's great to see !
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Spent the day at the Metlink Community Cricket Day at Ringwood with the boys this morning. Can confirm what you already know - it's damned HOT and sticky in that sun, we were melting. RH must be pretty decent, very sweaty day out there. Liking what you're seeing up there Rik :D
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

Peaked at 35.3C a short while ago, very sultry weather out there... good to see convection flaring away along the Great Dividing Range to the north and northeast, just wish a few cooling showers and thunderstorms would pop up here in the Dandenongs
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

have a timelapse uploading at the moment.... however its gonna take like 2 hours for it to be viewable... lol
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

Well bits are starting to appear on the radar around Kinglake and out Noojee way.
Lets hope for some more out this way.