Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: A humid thundery week - 13th-20th Feb 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: A humid thundery week - 13th-20th Feb 2011

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Hi Cam.

Nice effort snapping the only storm of the day. Very mid level and born on the convegence boundaries near the easterly and northerly winds.

No further rain to add today and thankfully the severe winds moved offshore and through S Port Phillip or there would have been chaos.

Expecting up to 5mm tomorrow with a few showers and drizzle and a cool start to the week before becoming warm and humid next Friday on.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Robbo
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Robbo »

Windy 13 *C up here,light drizzle.
61 mm for the month
260mm for the year.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Not wrong HB, heating kicked in this morning for first time in at least 3 months.
Heavy shower here right now, ticked over 1.5mm in about 5 minutes.

Sitting on 158.5 for the month now. Not seeing any significant falls for the next 7 days, so unlikely to beat the 2005 record of 176mm for Ringwood North (closest station, 1.3km from me)
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

The front came through about 10mins ago and we got a few showers.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

3mm to 9am this morning. Otherwise a continued cloudy day in this fairly blustery southwesterly airflow with a few showers. Currently only 16 degrees outside, which is about as high as the max got to today, which is the coldest in a while.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Yeah, the humidity has got a good flush out and won't return until after next weekend at the earliest.

A few showers around the place. 0.5mm here, there were some heavier showers though around the Kyneton area around lunchtime, had to put the wipers on full at one stage. :shock:
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

An absolute Barry Crocker of a day here, played golf in Sale in a howling WNW'er that didnt let up all arvo, wind got even stronger mid arvo, with a few rain spits included, when it backed more westerly. Got to 27C in Maffra early arvo, but its a cold-feeling 18C and still strong W wind here atm.

A pity... we've dried up the benefit of the 13m rain we got on Friday night!
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

4mm here today. Another nice drop. Less humid, thank God!

Extremely wet underfoot and a week of dry weather will do nothing to dry things out before the next rainfall. Water everywhere.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
n
norwester
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by norwester »

Lovely and cool and humidity down to 50%. Lots of quite ferocious wind gusts though. Would like some sun now please to give the new solar panels a decent workout!
Dry, dusty and hot - usually!
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Cold windy morning down this way with frequent showers passing through the LV. Feels like winter.
M
Monbulkian
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Monbulkian »

Quite a few decent showers here this morning, will look for the new thread to update those details later. Here are the rainfall totals for me over the last few days:
16th feb: 17.5mm
17th feb: 10mm
18th feb: 18mm
20th feb: 5mm

MTD: 224.5mm

YTD: 311.5mm
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Hillybilly, there was snow on the mountains around Huonville this morning where my sister lives
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Just 14.4C at my place today. Arrived home to 12.4C at 6pm <insert shivering smiley here>.

Looking forward to a pleasant week. Light winds, drier air, plenty of sunshine and pleasant temperatures. This weekend probably looking like one of the best weekends we've had this summer and coming right at the end (although my memory is probably short).

I can't believe how the landscape looks atm, you would swear it was April or May, paddocks are already starting to green up again, more hay is being bailed around the place, livestock would be over the moon atm. Gardens and lawns are close to as good as I've ever seen them at this time of year. Wouldn't be surprised if mowing was required again this weekend which is very unusual for this time of year.

BTW, under 20C in Melbourne CBD today under a SW flow in summer. :brightbanana: :mexicanwave: :banana: :guitar:.

I thought this was near impossible these days........
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Here's a video I put together of the Mortlake Thunderstorm complex on the 16th Feb. The video was taken from a web cam which I only started recording later in the day, my main priority was photos and used this for something extra on the side to watch later. In future I'm going to make a better setup for it on the dash so it doesn't move around and sit sideways etc.

When I start driving in the video you can see a pretty good wall cloud come into view that lasted for awhile, when the wall cloud broke down the whole storm was weakening and just ended up as a big HP cell as you can see when I drive through the NE side as I had to relocate from the road I was on before. Was a fun day chasing into the late afternoon, was hoping there would be some lightning active cells at night but everything shut down as the sun went down.

Some might not like the music, it's a bit heavier then my last photo video lol

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by AUS_Twisted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Nice work Steve!!!!
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Nice work mate. I could see that beaut of a storm from my school!! Was the most impressive looking out of the that structure wise. Eventually some building on the southern side of the complex allowed for us to receive a thunderstorm that day ... was glad to get one!! :D
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Thanks Karl and Jake!

Yeah it was a really nice storm in the end (shame there wasn't enough energy for it to continue into the night) was lots of lightning to the left side (east side of storm) of where the camera was pointing.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Nice captures Stephen!
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Thanks johnno

Here's the pics I used in the video, don't think people will mind this many pics in here now as this event is over?

Made this one in HDR mostly as I was shooting into the sun, this was east of the cell/multi-cell that took off west which I drove right through to follow the other.

Further west

Not long after the storm was breaking down, I took about 80 shots here with continuous shooting as there was a few CG's just in front of the rain core, but died down when I started shooting lol. Ended up going back to a main road as I didn't like where this road was going, even though it didn't really matter at that stage.

On the way home north of the big cell which was just a huge rain band hoping for some lightning around, was a small cell with anvil when I got here but died off quick.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Nice pics Steve. Like the structure in the 3rd, 4th and 5th last ones.