Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Thundery Weather. February 7th-12th 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
B
Bobman
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Thundery Weather. February 7th-??? 2010

Post by Bobman »

What I meant was on various weather websites, they had 18-29mm for today in Moorabbin and Melbourne city. Doesn't look like we even got half a mm.

Ironic that the bushfire affected parts north of Melbourne have been getting fantastic rainfall in the last 6 months (including today).
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

If storms happen around here while i am at school tomorrow, i will be poured
fortius quo fidelius
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Models always had the focus on the ranges and in particular the west central ranges. It came off as expected. I don't think the BOM were ever confident on rain in inner Melbourne and the eastern and southern suburbs, they specifically mentioned the outer northern and western suburbs and got it right.

Another 3.5mm from that solid patch of rain we just had, 42mm now for the day.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Yeah Anthony EC looks to be back onboard for Sunday/Monday has 99mm for Geelong, 25mm Avalon, 21mm Laverton (these are sundays totals) 43mm for Footscray and 9mm for the CBD lol hows that for consitancy haha its all over the place but does look to bring in the low bit closer now and GFS looks great too.

Anyway back onto now has bit of rain before but nothing registable.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

So good to hear Andrew!! Keep it going. Saw some stunning storms across your region today!!

Sun is out here - LOL! However not complaining, it is picturesque!! I love this weather! Forecasters did good today and really Richard Carline who has been on the last couple of days has forecasted beautifully. This morning with the steering you could see we would struggle. We got clouded in and that stopped convection locally too.

Looks like we have the chance of more rainy days in the offing. If you have watered your vegies, emptied your tanks, good, I am about to do some watering too ahead of tomorrow. I should empty the whole tank, that is how confident I am!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

BTW stopped in at a side dirt road in the Yarra Valley, post storm, and there was tonnes of water about, flooded roads, paddocks you name it. All about 5km N of Yarra Glen which got ~2mm. Farmer there had 53mm of rain in 27 minutes!!! Not bad going!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

I predict everywhere will have had big falls (25mm+) by the end of the weekend, mark my words. Lots of places should see 50mm+ as well.

As surreal as this humidity it is (would just be normal to a Sydney or Brisbane resident though), and as crazy as it makes everyone feel and like you're walking in a sauna, the results are there for all to see. It puts an end to the fire season for good, keeps things green just in time for the cooler autumn weather and stops catchments from drying out. the state is going to look spectacular this year, catchments will get over 50% and possibly as high as 60%, heaps of greenery and gardens looking fantastic right through the state. That's just what I see happening this year.
a
adon
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by adon »

Getting a big gust from a storm to the SE atm. Dust everywhere but that great rainy smell.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

droughtbreaker wrote:I predict everywhere will have had big falls (25mm+) by the end of the weekend, mark my words. Lots of places should see 50mm+ as well.

As surreal as this humidity it is (would just be normal to a Sydney or Brisbane resident though), and as crazy as it makes everyone feel and like you're walking in a sauna, the results are there for all to see. It puts an end to the fire season for good, keeps things green just in time for the cooler autumn weather and stops catchments from drying out. the state is going to look spectacular this year, catchments will get over 50% and possibly as high as 60%, heaps of greenery and gardens looking fantastic right through the state. That's just what I see happening this year.

Could not agree more with you!! I think the gardens are coming back for this year. Elders continuing the wetter the normal conditions, trend, well into March so maybe we haven't seen the last of the humidity.

Sky filling with AccAs on a spectacular sunset.

Hope there is some sparkies to view Anthony. Nice cell going through Nhill too presently or over the last half hour.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Currently at Bendigo, got slammed on the Calder Fwy just past Calder park after 1PM and had a few very close CG's (the sound of one was about 1/2 second from me). I ended up at Maldon ontop of the lookout tower where Rikki was yesterday, there was so much development all around us (lot's of CG's and a few small fires around which didn't last long) I ended up leaving the tower just before the huge line hit from the West. The drive from Maldon to Bendigo was very heavy (pretty much white out conditions) so much water along the roads.

Still some lightning and thunder here, but it looks like it's mostly turned into showers.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Black as a dog's guts to the north of hear..
PS. cracs me up that saying.. luv it..
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

2nd rainband easing up already. I've heard reports that only 8km to my Northwest (Eaglehawk) have copped over 30mm in past 24 hrs in 3 successive storms. South-east suburbs of Bendigo: about 5mm. Must be a forcefield here.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

droughtbreaker wrote:I predict everywhere will have had big falls (25mm+) by the end of the weekend, mark my words. Lots of places should see 50mm+ as well.

Even in the desert landscape of the western plains? It is sooo dry here it's ridiculous!!!
a
adon
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by adon »

Well gust turned into a storm! Came out of nowhere within minutes! Not a big one and pretty high based but may have got 3 or 4mm so far and nearly cleared. Few cgs out of it but not really active. Lovely and cool though!!!! :banana:
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Tonight's Sunset.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Yay, i get out to see Bendigo got hit again whilst i was busy... ah well... :roll:

As far as that forcefield goes, it most certainly is the case. haha. ah well.

Got some pictures from the cells developing into the first ones that hit bendigo. including a very sus rotation wall cloud and corkscrew. Some insane cg's pumping out of the structure around it. Will post up later...
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

40mm for Mt Macedon today and 8.4mm yesterday, very happy with that.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
m
mattg87
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by mattg87 »

20/18 here and still raining very steadily with a bit more to come - up to 35mm here since 1pm (23mm of that falling with two thunderstorms), so a very productive day.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Good stuff up there on the ranges guys. Most impressive and you provided a fanatastic show for me today! Almost clear overhead here.

Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Victoria Regional Office
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for DAMAGING WIND and FLASH FLOODING

For people in the
Mallee and parts of the
Northern Country and
Wimmera Forecast Districts.

Issued at 9:00 pm Wednesday, 10 February 2010.

Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, very heavy rainfall and flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Ouyen, Swan Hill, Walpeup, Warracknabeal, Echuca and Kerang.

Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in the Northeast, North Central, East Gippsland, West and South Gippsland, Western, Central and Alpine districts and the warning for these districts is CANCELLED.

The extent and intensity of thunderstorms has decreased over the past hour but thunderstorms may still be severe in the marked area until almost midnight.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Severe thunderstorm warning issued for most of Victoria as storm moves east across the state
UPDATE 8.48PM: A SHOPPING centre's roof collapsed and a hospital cancelled elective surgery after a wild storm west of Melbourne.

More than 75mm of rain fell in a band across Geelong, Ballarat, Bacchus Marsh and Melton, but failed to hit the CBD.
State Emergency Service spokesman Allan Briggs said staff had responded to 200 calls across the state, 80 of them at Bacchus Marsh and another 30 at Melton.
Leader Newspapers: Local reports and first pictures of the storm damage The Bacchus Marsh shopping centre in Main Street was was evacuated after the wild weather caused the roof of a pet shop to partially collapse.

Water damage forced the Bacchus Marsh-Melton regional hospital to cancel elective surgery.
Lightning strikes were reported around the area.

Horrific weather is expected to hit the Melbourne metropolitan area tomorrow morning. :?: :?: :?:

The Bureau of Meterology warns that extensive thunderstorms will form from late morning tomorrow and will batter the CBD and Melbourne's southern suburbs.
Humid conditions will remain, with the temperature dipping to 23 degrees overnight and rising to 30 degrees tomorrow.
The thunderstorms are expected to turn into a rainband over the eastern parts of the state, with up to 50- 100mm falling in parched water catchment areas.
Melburnians were earlier warned to brace for heavy rain and hail after wild storms lashed parts of central and southern Victoria.
The weather bureau issued a severe thunderstorm warning for most of the state, warning residents to prepare for damaging winds, heavy rain, hail and flash flooding.

The bureau said people in Melbourne suburbs including Craigieburn, Melton, St Albans and Sunbury would likely be affected along with those in Ballarat, Bendigo, Shepparton, Seymour, Maryborough, Geelong, Wodonga and Wangaratta.

More than 75mm of rain fell in a band across Geelong, Ballarat, Bacchus Marsh and Melton this afternoon as the storm moved east towards the city.

Horrific weather??????? Spare me!!
Mansfield 370m and Elwood