Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Troughy thundery humid rain event. Jan 9th -14th

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
c
calamity
Stratus
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Troughy thundery humid rain event. Jan 9th-15t

Post by calamity »

Last edited by calamity on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

Very harsh Ryan. You're talking about people's livelihoods - so you'd hope they are destroyed???[/quote]

Thats exactly what I thought...

Anyway, been raining most of the day in Flinders, moderate at times, but mostly drizzle. Can't see the gauge at the moment, though! Nothing at home.

Horrid humidity here, even the carpet feels wet...
Last edited by Jake Smethurst on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote removed.
Online weather station: http://www.stormygirl.net/wx/
c
calamity
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by calamity »

Last edited by calamity on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
M
Microburst
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Microburst »

Lets' concentrate on the weather unfolding across western vic. 46mm here now at Horsham. Lighting stirke near Birchip could be something starting or just a random strike. Lots of rain here mm a minute at times. Wet Wet Wet!
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Been light rain here off and on all day, good to see the ground wet again as we had a decent dry break there. It's been pretty boring though, I don't mind having DP's in the mid teens but when it's been in the low 20's it's not to fun at all unless there was some good storm action or a light show going on.

Really hoping the next 2-3 months are better as far as storms go (some clear air cells at night for lightning photos would be really nice) as there hasn't been much at all around the bay/coastal area around here only the odd few CG's around with very short lived cells thats including the cell that had lightning strike a house or houses which was a coldie by memory and short lived.

BTW, think I just saw one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on this forum several posts above.
T
Timster
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Timster »

Microburst wrote:Lets' concentrate on the weather unfolding across western vic. ..... Wet Wet Wet!
Ahhhh, yup.... :raining:
Just passing 80mm now for the system.
Easing off on the rate of rain, and thankfully not as mush as in Horsham, but still plenty more on the way tonight by the looks.
Thursday is looking ominous.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

The member in question will be dealt with by Admin away from this thread. I ask all members to maintain some respect for other members when posting.
T
Timster
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Timster »

AUS_Twisted wrote:Really hoping the next 2-3 months are better as far as storms go (some clear air cells at night for lightning photos would be really nice) as there hasn't been much at all around the bay/coastal area around here only the odd few CG's around with very short lived cells thats including the cell that had lightning strike a house or houses which was a coldie by memory and short lived.
Me too. Got me a new camera, a new tripod and living rurally now I have the opportunity. My feet are tapping..... (and splashing currently)
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

Another .6mm and i've hit double figures FOR THE YEAR :) :applause: :mexicanwave: :cheers: :woooo: Well! I'm excited :| :bringiton:

Oh: 9.4mm total for year that is and 5.34mm today. I'll work out event later.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

4mm since 9am
20.9c 1008hpa 90%rh
thunderhead
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by thunderhead »

A question for those with a lot more forecasting experience than I :-( What are the chances of some clear air cells tomorrow (wed) and what is the most likely region if any? Itching to get out and about!
BTW Had mainly steady drizzle all afternoon here in Camberwell East.
East Camberwell - storm free zone
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Intriguing band moving in from NW through western NSW atm. Could be our source of rain in the morning. GFS has gone off the boil a bit in 06Z run but both it and ACCESS have big totals for Western Border region on Thursday. It's all a bit of a lottery atm, although it's clear Western Vic will cop the bulk of it as Low deepens and heads SW into Western Bass Strait.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Thunderhead, I am about to create my thunderstorm chart for tomorrow using the latest data. Stand by mate.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
e
eegs
Cumulus
Reactions:
Location: Live - Westernport, Holiday - Mansfield, Work - Nth Qld, Cent Qld, Sth Qld, Sunraysia

Post by eegs »

Hi Ryan,
FYI the fresh table grape industry in Sunraysia is Australia's largest largest horticultural export earner and arguably one of the country's most sustainable farming industries. Seasonally fresh table grapes outrank all other horticultural industries and annually rank in the top five often second to bananas only. The industry in Sunraysia was founded on small soldier settlement blocks following the war and indeed today the industry is still championed by numerous successful family groups despite a worldwide trend toward corporate farming. Pretty damn neat, me thinks!
Cheers
Glenn
Last edited by Jake Smethurst on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote removed
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

51.0mm for Trentham so far!! 29.8mm since midnight......Jane
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)
D
DarkEye
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by DarkEye »

Big rain band heading my way, looks ominous but hopeful it isn't too bad.
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Not getting excited about tonights prospects at the moment. S NSW does'nt fill me with confidence unless something develops in the early hours and moves south. Possibly by morning all hell will break loose but time to get some sleep. Nighty night. :)

Rhino. :) :)
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

I've missed what ever went on up there ^^^^^ but I hope you post again Calamity you are more than welcome here & don't let one person's thoughtless comments turn you away. :(

Just about the whole state is covered in rain according to the radar - bit hard to get excited about it given what is happening in QLD.
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
e
eegs
Cumulus
Reactions:
Location: Live - Westernport, Holiday - Mansfield, Work - Nth Qld, Cent Qld, Sth Qld, Sunraysia

Post by eegs »

Been a bit frustrating today. Was hoping to get a big fill in the catchment at Eildon. Rained all day for a paltry 4 or 5 mls. Still, some big falls elsewhere so maybe Eildon's turn is still to come later in the event.
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

The big factor for coming days is whether the low over Vic taps into the moisture from the tropical monsoon:
http://realtime2.bsch.au.com/wv_sat.htm ... art=&stop=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (it's just entering the NW corner of NSW)

We haven't had anywhere near the predicted rainfall tonight, but that could change tomorrow.