Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Cold Outbreak/Low Pressure. January 17-20 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Cold Outbreak/Low Pressure. January 17-20 2010

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I love it out there Wes. My favourite place to think about things and to debrief!!!

Yes a great system for all out this way. I wish sometimes we could get SEly cold outbreaks but hmmmm maybe have to pray on that one.

Wrap up this system with 49mm here so just short of the 50mm I wanted :D
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Just a very strong WSW'ly all day here to completely evapourate the effects of the 7.5mm rain we accumulated from this system, 11.6 - 2 3.8C today.

Event total -5mm for Maffra (7.5mm accumulated rain minus 12.5mm evapourated today) imo. :windy:

AV - re fire danger, the area between Licola (or basically E of the Thompson Dam) through to Genoa is ripe for bushfires next month. Normal summer bushfires that is, not the code red/catastrophic crap that the authorities are ramming down our throats that everyone is already de-tuned to. :firey:
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

a beautiful sunny late morning and afternoon, away from the breeze it was a beautiful day, the breeze was especially cool this morning! Looking forward to a warmer day tomorrow, however it will also probably feel more humid too with cloud about.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

Not sure if this belongs here, but with the discussion recently about wet and dry parts of melbourne, thought it was appropriate.

Source: weatherzone.com.au

Eastern Victoria overflows
Martin Palmer, Tuesday January 19, 2010 - 18:51 EDT

The recent deluge over eastern Victoria has fired totals this month well above the January norm.

Two bursts, one at the beginning of the year and the second just gone, have been the main cause. The heavier rain at the start of January, the result of a deep inland trough, brought some people as much as half their January rainfall in one go.

The recent rainfall, pulled in from the deep Southern Ocean by a low, has simply topped up the coffers.

Melbourne sits very much on the dividing line of 'wet' Victoria and 'dry' Victoria. The state's capital is suffering with only 23mm taken so far.

Over to the east, it is a different story. Most of the Northeast, Alpine areas and parts of East Gippsland have already recorded 100 to 150% of their January mean.

To the west it is dry, similar to Melbourne, with most places sitting around 40 to 60% of their January mean. This has been a direct result of a lack of strong frontal systems in the last three weeks.

However, the month is not over yet and rainfall could still provide a boost to those drier areas.

It does look quite dry for Melbourne over the next two weeks though. Possibly leading to the fourth January in a row, below average.

- Weatherzone

© Weatherzone 2010
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Well, thanks to the storms overnight New years eve and New Years day I'm now on a MTD and YTD of 87.2mm, despite only 6.8mm from the system just passed, so I beat you all. :lol: Seriously though, excellent to see a lot of people getting some high totals now for the month.

20.9C today for a maximum here after a minimum of 7C.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

You know you are playing this game with me ;) It is still middle of the month!! :P I think I will stay below 100mm for the month. Up to 72mm for the month now which is brilliant. 20km west, it is up to 20mm for the month!!

:jumpingmany:
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

The cloud cleared very quickly over this side today and we had a sunny day and it eventually warmed up to comfortable levels too. Whilst I do love the odd cold outbreak in summer and heaps of variety, a couple of days is enough. I really was starting to freeze my proverbials off and had to give the warm cycle a go on the AC which was starting to get rusty.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Well the event provided 22.6mm here. A great fall, totally un-expected really for my area, we just got the side of the SW shower bands. Lucky!

32mm here so far this month.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
P
Proteous
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Proteous »

Wind still gusting to 25 knots but should settle somewhat overnight. Looking forward to more average type temperatures for the rest of the week. Friday night looks the goods for some prawning so I may get my feet wet.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Wesburn, my brother noted
36 ml. 19 Sunday nite and 17 Monday