Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic: Unstable Warm Weather Sept 16th- 19th

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Vic: Unstable Warm Weather Sept 16th- 19th

Post by Meso »

ISO800...interesting. Most of the stuff I read suggests keeping it low. Although the short shutter speed you used probably compensated for it. Great shot you took tho Bella, so no one can argue with your settings.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Shutter speed makes no difference when purely shooting lightning with no foreground unless you want to capture several or more different strikes in the one shot. For visible lightning depending on the brightness I'd stick to 100 - 400 ISO max, the only time I use 800+ ISO is when I want to check out some structure that is either far away or not getting lit up that much.

For example these night structure shots from late last year taken at 800 ISO, I only wanted the clouds to light up once in the shot so I wouldn't get blurring from movement.

Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Fabulous cloud studies AUS_twisted. I didn't realise you were on redbubble so just added you.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

AUS_Twisted » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:09 pm wrote:
AUS_Twisted wrote:Shutter speed makes no difference when purely shooting lightning with no foreground unless you want to capture several or more different strikes in the one shot.
I'm no expert, but surely shutter speed does make some difference? I mean if you have the shutter open for 30 secs you're not going to get much definition in clouds that are moving are you?

Anyway, they're great shots Steve! Just looking at that juicy convection makes me wanna chase so bad!!! How long was the shutter open for on those?
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Long shutter with low ISO will record none or very little if any cloud at 30 seconds (especially up north with no light source like in the city, unless the moons out) also depends on the aperture used to. Though I was talking about long shutter not making any difference recording the actual lightning itself, by memory those structure shots above were around 8 - 10 seconds long