Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

So... tell me about YOU!

Have a chat, coffee and let's laugh about what is going on in your world. You can also find 'Photography Central', 'AWF Member Photos' & 'Weather Sites/Links Australia'.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: So... tell me about YOU!

Post by Lily »

Beamgirl wrote:Oh! Beamgirl does enjoy a few Jim Beams...LOL
KNEW IT! :rotfl: :P

Welcome again, great to have you on board :) Keep asking questions, like you, many of us don't have a full understanding of TC's so it's great to all be learning together and watching the current event unfold before us - exciting times :) Congrats again on the birth of Zaiden, hope all is going well. You'll be back to the Jimmy's in no time pmsl.
Leasy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Leasy »

Lily wrote:Leasy, I get no end of ribbing from people about my "obsession" with the weather, from friends, workmates and family alike. You should have heard the grief I got from people for getting so excited about getting a WS for Christmas pmsl :P Tides changed when I alerted my work to a storm a couple of years ago that I could see was going to absolutely dump on the office and warehouse. It caused major flooding and quite a few staff had their cars written off. Now they listen to me lol!
Glad I'm not the only one subjected to some ribbing - whether right or wrong, I will still cop it though, you are lucky on that count! I'd love to get a proper WS, just can't afford it right now - might save some pennies for it in the near future though! I do have a somewhat basic WS, just tells me inside and outside temp, humidity forecast (basically a sun for fine, a cloud for cloudy and a cloud with lines for rain). I can also store the highest and lowest temp but that's about it I'm afraid!

And a very warm welcome to you, Beamgirl! :D
Leasy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Leasy »

Towering Updraft wrote:Lol...don't feel bad Leasy we all get ribbed about it...you should of heard what some of my friends of said when I told them I was going to the US chasing storms...sans my wife :? ...its not like im stopping her from doing the same though...shes off to Europe backpacking with her best friend in retaliation :hysteria:.

And then theres all the family and friends asking me for forecasts (especially for weddings lol)...the garbage if I or the bureau get anything wrong...the teasing about stormchasing (until they saw some of the pics)...and the general ribbing for being a bit of a weather wienie. Im happy with that term though...I hearby do proudly state myself to be a weather wienie...fortunate enough to have it as a career as well.

So be proud of your passion :aussie:
Thanks! That makes me fell a lil better! LOL @ Weather Wienie though! I should totally use that! :hysteria:

And I totally wanna go storm chasing in the US one day, although I did get close while in Memphis 2008, we were 5kms away from a tornado - was a surreal day actually!
W
WeatherGazer
Cumulus
Reactions:
Location: Near the Whitsunday Islands, Queensland - not on an island in the Whitsundays.

Post by WeatherGazer »

**Nervous cough** Hi everyone :wave: I am happily married to a wonderful man whom I've known for the last 20 of my almost 38 years. We have two children aged 8 and 9. They keep us on our toes, and often at our wits end :hahohi: Nah, they're great kids and we are very blessed. We have two dogs, two cats. I classify my wolfy x as my third but four legged child. We bought her from the pound the very day before her eternal sleep. Moosh is super intelligent and much more obedient that my two legged children ;) She is a very large dog with the sweetest temperament. We got her from the pound the day before her eternal sleep and has been the very best of companions for us all. I have obedience trained her and she is very, very intelligent and very, very, very cuddly.

I'm an unemployed Dental Assistant. My former employer (pardon the french) screwed me over badly after I took 8 months leave without pay last year due to illhealth and multiple hospitalizations, operations and complications. When I went back, they didn't have my job anymore inspite of the fact that I was a reliable and devoted nurse. Well it's their loss. I love my job and one day am going to go to Uni and become a fully fleged Dentist :stir:

I love history, both modern and ancient. I'm an avoracious reader of non-fiction, mainly biographies and historial titles. Both hubby and I love astronomy and he will be devastated if his multi-thousand dollar telescope thingy gets damaged in the cyclone. Language and travel are both loves that I don't often get to practice in my small community. I inherited my love of weather from my 79 year old Dad. He was a dedicated storm watcher (not chaser) who made storms sound exciting and dramatic. I love looking out at the sky trying to predict what the weather will do. You know, horses tails high up mean there is rain coming. A mackrel cloud means the same thing (doesn't it?) and fog in the morning is sailors warning?

Well, that's enough to bore you silly for a while ;) Great getting to know you all.
I love smilies :wave:
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

WeatherGazer wrote:**Nervous cough** Hi everyone :wave:

I'm an unemployed Dental Assistant. My former employer (pardon the french) screwed me over badly after I took 8 months leave without pay last year due to illhealth and multiple hospitalizations, operations and complications. When I went back, they didn't have my job anymore inspite of the fact that I was a reliable and devoted nurse. Well it's their loss. I love my job and one day am going to go to Uni and become a fully fleged Dentist :stir:
Welcome again :D

Firstly, don't be nervous, we don't bite ;) Well, Karl does sometimes, but, you know... give him a slap over the nose like a naughty puppy and he's all sorted :hysteria:

That sucks about your job, I'm sorry that's happened to you. Is your health ok now though? Would have been hard, especially with two kids to care for as well :(
W
WeatherGazer
Cumulus
Reactions:
Location: Near the Whitsunday Islands, Queensland - not on an island in the Whitsundays.

Post by WeatherGazer »

Lily thanks for your kind words. We're not sure about my health just yet. I may need more surgery in the near future, but we're hoping that we/I can avoid it. Being a woman isn't always easy :( Karl like a puppy getting a slap over the nose? :roffl: I have 5 older brothers...I know his score ;)
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

WeatherGazer wrote:I classify my wolfy x as my third but four legged child. We bought her from the pound the very day before her eternal sleep. Moosh is super intelligent and much more obedient that my two legged children ;) She is a very large dog with the sweetest temperament. We got her from the pound the day before her eternal sleep and has been the very best of companions for us all. I have obedience trained her and she is very, very intelligent and very, very, very cuddly.
Well weatherGazer, thanks for sharing a little, but was delighted to hear about you wolfy x. What's she crossed with? My wife and I are such sooks for dogs, but have never been able to get one as we lived rentals since we got married in 2005. Got our own house on 7th Feb last year (nasty day to move house). On the very next day we were at the RSPCA, and came home with the very lovely Liffey, we're told she's a Wolfy / Lab cross. She too was close to being put to sleep.

The sign on the door said she was crazy, but we have had such a wonderful time with her in the last year. She's just turned 18 months old (ish) and is the most loving, thoughtful dog I have ever known! BTW, the RSPCA were right, she is a little crazy, but in a real fun way. But so are her owners :bunnydance:

She also runs a blog. (through my wife, as she doesn't have opposable thumbs ;) ) take a look if you are interested.
http://liffeyslicks.blogspot.com/

Cheers
Chris
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I read every post on this forum and Lily just remember I know where you live!! LOL!!! :P Though I do bite I don't have rabies!! That is a step in the right direction!!

Welcome to all our new weather friends!! Great to have you here and being part of this ever growing community!!!

There is a rule that pertains to everyone else and that is no biting ;)
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Ooooops... sprung bad. Sorry boss :hysteria:

I love Liffeyslicks! What a beautiful girl Liffey is, awwwww :P
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

thanks Lily! She's a darling isn't she. As I write this she's padding aroung trying to get comfy in this warm old house - she's like her dad - doesn't like the humidity one bit.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I love Liffey!!! So cute!! She was a polite as could be when I was over dinner last!! Delightful thing!!! Tell Liffey - Karl says hello!!!! :P
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

:hysteria: :roffl: And like all puppies, He'll do almost anything for a block of coon (Karl that is!)
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

LOL!!!!

This is what goes on at midnight. I assure you not coon, bega tasty all the way!!!
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

Great reading about everyone here. My name is Anthony, AKA Blackie. I'm an avid reader and occasional poster in this great forum having migrated from the other after 8 years. Living in Elwood for the last 15 with my partner Lee and our Jack Russell Maggie, I have my promotional product business based in Sth Melbourne since 1987 but my latest venture is an olive grove in Mansfield which we bought in 2003. We have about 500 trees and produce a boutique organic olive oil called Gang Gang. The farm is 15 acres on the shore of Lake Eildon, not too far from Sniper's place at Taylors Bay. It's a beautiful paradise we visit every other weekend.

My earliest memory weather was seeing snow for the first time as a five year old and I've been fascinated with it ever since. It's like a love affair that just keeps on intensifying as I discover more, and reading posts from you guys has certainly enabled me to do that. I remember as a 13 year old getting into trouble for a making daily calls to the ski field snowlines during winter checking on falls. And calling 1196 to get the latest weather info. And creating bogus work appointments on days of cold outbreaks as an excuse to drive to places like Mt Margaret near Lake Mountain to check out low level snow falls - have had some magnificent days doing that. Always did this on my own because I knew no one who shared my passion. In fact until I found the forums, I thought I was the only weather freak in Victoria! Now my friends accept this freak status as part of my personality. Funny, since the BOM radar became public a few years ago, many of them now have a greater interest in the weather. It seems to have had that effect generally.

Astronomy is a fairly new interest. I have a great telescope at Mansfield which comes out mainly on moonless winter nights. Fruit and vegetable growing is also something I really enjoy experimenting with having established a small orchard at Mansfield with good success. Also play local comp tennis, enjoy the gym, long walks down the beach and in the high country and baking. I'm an active member and supporter of the Wilderness Society and Greenpeace.

Thanks again for Karl and co for setting up the forum.

B
S
Scott Lawrance
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Scott Lawrance »

Interesting Blackie - I too have an olive grove at Yea! We have about 700 trees at the junction of the Yea and Goulburn rivers. It is where I grew up on the family farm which we have been on since the 1930's. I have restored the old family dairy into our cottage and the stables into our store and cafe which we run on the weekends during the summer - our website is www.ghinghin.com.au. During the week I work 4 days as a graphic designer in Melbourne and we have an apartment in South Yarra next to the Botanical Gardens. Weather has been always of great interest to me being a farmers son - my earliest recollection is having a cloud chart as a kid and being able to identify in great detail all the various configurations. We both travel a great deal which is my other great interest Italy being one of my favorite destinations (for 'olive research') and also the New England states of America. My favorite weather is cool and wet interspersed with mild warm days. Can't stand hot, dry weather!
The Ghin Ghin Farmstore & Cafe
www.ghinghin.com.au
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

Hi, my name is Rod and have just joined you good people this evening. I was born and have lived / gone to school / worked in Dandenong or close by all my live. I am now retired. Have my little mate a terrier something snoozing on the chair beside me. Apart from the weather I have a keen desire in a enviromentally sustainable future starting with trying not to buy single use items whenever possible, I cycle, do not drive because of poor vision so rely on public transport quite a bit which since obtaining my seniors fine it a lot less costly! I installed a rainwater tank at the beginning of summer so have been able to reduce my consumption of manis water drastically. Be more from me I am sure along these lines at a later date.
For my own interest with the weather I have a La Crosse WS1600 weather station.
W
WeatherGazer
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherGazer »

:wave: Hi Rod :wave: Welcome from another newbie. I've been to the Dandenongs and they're really quite lovely. One of my brothers had an agricultural crop growing nearby so we used to visit the range sometimes. Cold though, really cold I remember. Great to have you aboard :thumbsup:
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Hi Rod, just joining in the "Welcome Chorus". Lovely to have you here, you're not far from me and a few of our other members :) So, I have to ask, how much rain did you record over the Labour Day weekend? :D

Look forward to hearing more from you soon :wave:
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

WeatherGazer wrote::wave: Hi Rod :wave: Welcome from another newbie. I've been to the Dandenongs and they're really quite lovely. One of my brothers had an agricultural crop growing nearby so we used to visit the range sometimes. Cold though, really cold I remember. Great to have you aboard :thumbsup:
Hi WG and thankyou, I actually live in the city of Dandenong itself, the "Dandenongs" ranges are about 10 - 15kms at their closest point. With the lower altitude it is not as quite as cold but still cold compared to your neck of the woods. Alas it is over 18 months since I was up your way and this winter looks like not being any different :(
W
WeatherGazer
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherGazer »

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be up here for our winter. Actually I'd love to spend a winter down your neck of the woods, just to remind me what real cold is like. As a native bannana bender though, I have to admit that I do prefer the fine weather we have up here for our winter. It just doesn't make sense the rain being soooo cold.

Hope you enjoy your time here. The natives are lovely, but you have to watch out for a reallllllly weird guy who calls himself Karl :o ;)

WG :wave: