Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria- Ex TC Olga's remnants - Rain - 3rd to 6th Feb 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria- Ex TC Olga's remnants - Rain - 3rd to 6th Feb 2010

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Guys,

The event is evolving over the state so it is not going to be over within 6hrs. Once that band of rain has crossed east through the state from SA and your on the other side of it, then it is over. Otherwise, showers and storms will fill areas that are currently blank of radar and the rainband will be somewhat enormous come 6pm.

As I have said for the last 24hrs, patience. It is crucial in a situation like this.

2.6mm so far and still steady rainfall. Mainly from high based cloud.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

A welcome 1.5mm, waiting patiently for the other 36.5mm.
Was nice out in the drizzle walking the 1000 steps.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Nice start here 2.5mm so far been raining on and off since 11am. Hopefully plenty more to come
S
ShaneEEEE
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ShaneEEEE »

Well the heavens have opened up as expected!

Currently Pour down here in Geelong, very welcomed indeed.

I would like to share with you the 'advanced' lightning tracker page I have created using WZ radar and lightning tracker.

http://shanee.bsch.au.com/tracker/tracker.php?loc=vic

The radar imagery shows the latest radar images available, but the lightning data is up-to-the-minute radar data. The time stamp at the bottom of the images represents the actual image of the lightning tracker in UTC (add 11 hours for Vic). It will automatically refresh every 5 minutes, however if you manually refresh the page it will load the lightning tracker for the current time.

I will eventually add animation to this, but at the moment its worth while just having real time lightning data. You can also change the location by editing the URL, remove 'vic' from the end and put in what ever state, or you can even put in individual radars. Example: http://shanee.bsch.au.com/tracker/track ... %20airport (%20 is a space)

I hope you enjoy using this as much as I have enjoyed creating it.

I am getting quite excited at the potential of the rest of today!
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Belting down here at the moment, looks like things are starting to develop nicely, and as Karl said be patient and you will receive. :D

Rhino. :) :)
s
samueliza
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:
Location: Point Cook- or somewhere in Northern or Western Victoria!!!

Post by samueliza »

Its still dry in ballarat.. Weird?????? Come on. Send it down! Not looking like rain here either! Yet. Oh wait, just had a spot. :idea:

no that spot was it. Airport radar showing its raining here but i can tell you its as dry as a dead dingo's donger out here
Last edited by samueliza on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Been raining light to moderate on and off here.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
D
DarkEye
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by DarkEye »

Rain, rain and more rain, but hey it's better than stinking hot days which at least for my end have been in the minimum, also had some rain last night and I was sure to have heard thunder but it might have been the wind.
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Like that area between Swan Hill and Shepparton, looks like it will fill in nicely over the next few hours. Nice band running NW-SE of Horsham building.

T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

MASSIVE EVENT Huge Totals and its coming off :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

For a week this has looked great and now its hear rain and storms explodeing ALL OVER Vic and its just great

SO Humid Dps in the 19-22c range for many of Us cant get more tropical than that

OMG at MiLdura radar can see interaction of both systems, There is a straight N_S line of VERY HEAVY Showers to my west moving North rain on SA border is moving East and rain here is moving West UNREAL STUFF and filling and exploding nicely

This Event is going to be HUGE for north sloping places and Central Vic and Hopefully Ne Vic Jealous huge 50-90mm falls across many of these areas so jealous but enjoy.

This event is not over till that trough pass through which i am hoping never but Heavy rain on that trough line for sure.

Loads of Rain and storms to develop coming 6 hours much of west and central Vic to fill out so don,t worry its coming.

This Event will be the biggest of the summer and is what i have been wait for all year loving the flood watch PLEASE DUMP HERE

24/21c here atm with light east winds.

8.5mm so far and no rain last few hours but radar filling with tropical showers all over the shop :rainfall: :rainfall: :rainfall:
Now Living in Wet QLD
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Yeah looks like a potential repeat of Feb 2005, storms will explode all over Central areas in the coming 3 hours. Massive falls await us.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/radar.jsp ... ye=1&lyf=1 For a great radar with lightning
Last edited by I_Love_Storms on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for DAMAGING WIND, FLASH FLOODING and LARGE HAILSTONES
For people in the Northeast, Wimmera, East Gippsland, West and South Gippsland, Alpine and parts of the Mallee, Northern Country, North Central and Western Forecast Districts.

Issued at 1:24 pm Thursday, 4 February 2010.

Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones over the next several hours in the Northeast, East Gippsland, West and South Gippsland, Alpine and parts of the Northern Country and North Central districts. Locations which may be affected include Shepparton, Wodonga, Wangaratta, Traralgon, Bairnsdale and Orbost.

Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce very heavy rainfall and flash flooding over the next several hours in the Wimmera and parts of the Mallee, Northern Country and Western districts. Locations which may be affected include Mildura, Walpeup, Horsham, Stawell, Warracknabeal and Ararat.

Click on link to view forecsat map
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV65756.shtml

The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* secure any loose objects in the vicinity of your home.
* keep away from creeks and drains.
* do not drive vehicles through flooded areas.
* stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* if you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* listen to the radio for storm updates
* switch off your computer and electrical appliances
Last edited by Blackee on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to TS Warning Map
a
adon
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by adon »

Looks like we are about to get the first rain band coming from the NNE shortly. Lightly raining now but getting dark to the north now. Looks like the rainband to the west is thickening now as the Mildura is showing a gap in the middle of the band. This always happens 'cos Mildura gets blocked by heavy rain....good sign. Talking to the folks in Swan Hill and it has been "pouring" for a couple of hours now so things finally starting to happen. Certainly a slow to develop system and VERY slow moving.

Edit: just noticed a rotation Nth of Mildura. Is that an upper level thing or has Olga heading rapidly south?
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Yep, things really filling in now and great to see area around Echuca building strongly and all moving S/SE, and out west it's cranking up big time, and it's still developing. :shock:

Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Heavy convective cell training over here. Very heavy rain continuing.

Looks good.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Great work with the lightning tracker Shane.
I will move the link, so it doesn't get lost in this thread.

Light rain falling in CBD and has done so on and off for the last 2 hours.
If this event was a game of footy, it isn't even half-time yet!!
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
P
Proteous
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Proteous »

Almost surrounded by what a now good storms still developing, will probably get under one soon as it looks as though it is headed straight for me. Seeing good CGs and hearing plenty of thunder.
a
adon
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by adon »

Rainbands still falling apart in this area. Hard to beleive there are huge falls just to the west as it loos clearer over there than to the north from here :?:
D
DarkEye
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by DarkEye »

Looks like you guys are in for a show, do enjoy and take some pics and if you do go out chasing storms, please be careful.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

adon wrote:Rainbands still falling apart in this area. Hard to beleive there are huge falls just to the west as it loos clearer over there than to the north from here :?:
Similar to what SA, and in particular Adelaide experienced yesterday. The dynamics were there, it just didn't happen (for some damn reason!!!)
Mansfield 370m and Elwood