Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Low Pressure System Cup Weekend 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
K
Ken
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Low Pressure System Cup Weekend 2010

Post by Ken »

I forgot the area forecast for the Vic region in my last post. It's valid until 10pm tonight AEDT:

SLOW MOVING TROUGH NEAR YROI/YKII 23Z, YBRN/YHTR 05Z AND TREST/CAMUS
BY 11Z. RAIN AREAS W OF TREST/FLIKI, EXTENDING THROUGHOUT BY 01Z,
ALSO TENDING HEAVY ABOUT WINDWARD SLOPES FROM 00Z. SCATTERED SHOWERS
ELSEWHERE. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS LAND E OF 145E FROM 00Z. AREAS OF
LOW CLOUD NEAR RAIN, ALSO WINDWARD SLOPES AND EASTERN SEA. SEVERE
ICING IN THE N AND W (REFER SIGMET).
K
Ken
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Ken »

ShaneEEEE wrote:
apocalypse wrote:ShaneEEE, would you be able to put the NSW storm chart up? I imagine it's very similar in the south to most of Victoria. Could be some very decent totals if anyone gets under any storms.
As far as I know, only Victoria produce a chart like that. If any other states do it then I am not sure of how to access it.
They're also produced for QLD and NSW but they're only available internally within the Bureau and to those who are subscribers to this product via a login e.g. Rural Fire Service.
V
VRB20G45
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by VRB20G45 »

Don't forget that the WATL page is different from the forecast explorer page.

Forecast explorer rainfall totals have been edited by forecasters whereas WATL is just OCF output.

And Ken has posted some excellent stuff there - I'd suggest keeping an eye on a lot of the aviation forecasts (ARFOR and TAFS) to see what the BoM are thinking...also the TTF is a handy one to look at too.
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

18mm here now with another heavy band of rain to move through from the north

Rain band Continuing to expand and build right through west and central VIC going to be very wet on and east of a line Swan hill to Colac

Swan hill already 20mm could see 50mm easy which is unreal and even higher falls SE of there'

Rain starting up again here

Also another Cold late October day only 14c today after 33c yesterday
Now Living in Wet QLD
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

Heavy rain now and has been for 30 mins.. Bring it on!
V
VRB20G45
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by VRB20G45 »

The southerly change is just starting to move through the Melbourne area at the moment which is resulting in dew points falling by a few degrees.

Still promising however given the barocline present over central Victoria - it is still very much a developing system given how much the system is tilting west with height.
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

And it's torrietial in parts !!
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

We've never been spoilt better for forecasts on a weather forum before IMO. Thanks Karl, Ken, et al.

Steady baro at 1008 hPa all morning, patchy light rain stopped around 9:30am totalling 1mm - so not too bad for golf albiet a bit muggy. 22C and 70% humidity here under fully over cast high based cloud. So that it for us Gippslanders...... Proteuos' forecast is now fullfilled.!!!!! ;) ;)
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Satloop shows low spinning up nth of Adelaide. 1006.8, 19.8/16.4C here atm. 3mm here so far, with rainband still to get here.
Peter
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

As AV pointed out before, the empty space in the NCo has filled up pretty quickly the last 45 mins or so. 4mm so far here.
V
VRB20G45
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by VRB20G45 »

Stratus really starting to roll in across the Melbourne area, Avalon reporting cloud at 500ft, while Moorabbin has scattered cloud at 200ft.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Laverton 11mm in last hour and a half. Nothing here yet - don't mind too much know because it will obviously arrive soon :)
l
lightnin
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by lightnin »

16 mm here just west of Geelong, just lightened off at this time, but looks like plenty more to come.

Must have come down pretty quickly when it did last this morning, I seem to have had a little more than Sheoaks and Geelong.

Will the Wimmera area get much more today, they don't seem to have copped as much, the far SW looks to have done well early this morning.

Spoke to a few people this morning, funny how they get sceptical that any rain is coming when the day starts like it did here today... i assured them it was going to happen. Luckily it has! When do we think any storms may eventuate?
K
Ken
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Ken »

VRB20G45 wrote:Don't forget that the WATL page is different from the forecast explorer page.
Forecast explorer rainfall totals have been edited by forecasters whereas WATL is just OCF output.
WATL and OCF are actually separate. WATL basically uses a rainfall ranking system for rainfall amounts forecast by each model and remaps the rainfall onto a common grid. This reduces the issue where there's disagreement among models of where the heaviest rainfall is forecast. Site-based OCF on the other hand basically takes an average of modelled rainfall amounts for point locations (and is also for the 9am to 9am period whereas WATL is valid for 10pm to 10pm AEST).
j
jmw2207
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by jmw2207 »

Thick tropical rain for the last 20mins. Yeehaa
Duckey
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Duckey »

Completely dry, mild and humid here. It's funny watching the races and seeing it bucket down at Flemington while it's actually quite pleasant outside here. Taking the chance to get the washing dry! I have a feeling it's the only chance for the next few day, with the way this system is looking.

Currently 22 degrees, Baro's sitting just over 1000.

Can certainly feel it coming.... :D
Storm Nerd!!
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Rain getting heavier here now. Good to hear of reports of torrential stuff to the north as that will really take off as it hits the ranges. :D

I too have been taken aback by the community feeling with this system that it was going to be a fizzer and the BOM 'wrong again' just because it wasn't bucketing down last night and this morning. :? Is it just the general lack of knowledge in the weather that dominates our society or were some people just using wishful thinking because they didn't want their activities for the day affected (eg, camping trips, races, etc.)? I am a bit annoyed because it shows a lack of respect for the experts and professionals who know what they are talking about.

Luckily most of the people on this forum help bring some sanity back into the equation. ;)
Last edited by droughtbreaker on Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V
VRB20G45
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by VRB20G45 »

Ken wrote:
VRB20G45 wrote:Don't forget that the WATL page is different from the forecast explorer page.
WATL and OCF are actually separate. WATL basically uses a rainfall ranking system for rainfall amounts forecast by each model and remaps the rainfall onto a common grid. This reduces the issue where there's disagreement among models of where the heaviest rainfall is forecast. Site-based OCF on the other hand basically takes an average of modelled rainfall amounts for point locations (and is also for the 9am to 9am period whereas WATL is valid for 10pm to 10pm AEST).
Ah yep you're right...haven't looked at the WATL page for a while given the Forecast Explorer (GFE) has been edited by forecasters.
l
lightnin
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by lightnin »

Just looking at the radar loop, interesting stuff north west of Renmark, rain coming up from south and down from north in the one spot!
r
rychenroller
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by rychenroller »

13.3mm, still barrelling down