Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Rain/storm event - 6th-10th December 2010 (Obs)

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Rain/storm event - 6th-10th December 2010 (Obs

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Yet another thunderstorm has move on over us with further heavy rainfall, now eased back to moderate rainfall. Mostly CC lightning by a few CG's that were that close!! This is the most exciting thing!! That makes it 3 thunderstorms today, 6 in the past 5 days!! More lightning to my northwest and radar showing another heavy band of thunderstorms moving my way, so I am in the hot spot at the moment.

On another more serious note, please take care on the roads when the rain hits. My mother and sister just got back from Timboon (local town) and said they were diverted around Cooriemungle Road (next to our road) due to 400m of flooding, and then they took a different road and hit more flood waters, nearly lost control they said. They also mentioned flooding on a lot of roads. Not good at all. Plenty more rain tonight and tomorrow to come.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Good stuff Jake, enjoy mate, I'm sure you are ;) . That lines going to look even better soon I'd imagine as it starts to come into the Melb radar east of Donald, also Mildura radar in windfinding mode at the moment so should come back on soon.

Rhino. :) :)
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

Temps currently 20.4/19. The storm line will start to lose steam soon I reckon
H
Harley34
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Harley34 »

Wow! Nothing really needs to be said..

Just amazing weather really. Thunderstorms galore in SA/W VIC, and they still continue to fire at 10pm, you beauty!

Warm day here today with the humidity similar to how it has recently been. A nice band of heavy showers passed through here this afternoon, delivering around 5-10 mm. Still quite humid, and things are looking exciting as we may see a few thunderstorms in the morning before the heavy band of rain approaches. Expecting embedded thunderstorms anyway for tomorrow.

Expecting around 30 mm + tomorrow. Plenty of warnings out, especially on the flood situation up in N VIC and specifically over the border near Wagga Wagga. It's going to be interesting to see how much rainfall this system produces and what sort of floods and river rises might occur.
r
rychenroller
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by rychenroller »

HarleyB wrote:Temps currently 20.4/19. The storm line will start to lose steam soon I reckon

Check out the intensification in eastern SA....
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

James wrote:yes, too many streetlights to see anything there, plus too many scary boronia ferals about the darker areas of my neighbourhood! :P
FFS.. you're being told by someone in your neighbourhood and by someone 15 mins west of you that there's something to see if you leave the desk, yet you won't move.. yet you've got the audacity to complain when it doesn't explode over your house? For goodness' sake mate. We're trying to help you out, but you're not taking it. Not only that, you complain when it doesn't get to you.. I can't make any sense of it at all! The sad thing is, I really do care... and would love to help you see the stuff you want to see - people were very, very patient - answered my stupid questions and pointed me in the direction of places I can go to read and learn and in doing so, helped me 11 months ago and life has been grand since! I'm chomping at the bit for an opportunity to show someone else, but you really make it hard when you seem reluctant to help yourself, which is why I'm posting in such an exacerbated tone.
Last edited by schitzengiggles on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
L
Lara_Hunter
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Lara_Hunter »

lightning all on the south eastern side of the grampians now, went for a drive for a nice elevated view and just got back, flooded roads and the lightning reminded me of lyric nightclub lol CCs every second, awesome. Saw a few long horizontal CCs that I wish were on film... you guys in melb would surely be able to see these strobe lights
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

My son has reported high winds, hail & torrential rain from Horsham. Saw lightning coming out of the approaching storm front. Is sending me pics/vids
Peter
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Sounds great Peter. Look forward to seeing it!
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

From my perspective, the sparkies are either dying off or are sliding south towards Geelong. I've got a roof in my way and a few too many ciders under the belt to go for a drive and check it out tonight.

If you're in Central areas, get some sleep tonight, because while AV hasn't said it yet, I'll go as far as to say tomorrow should be BIBLICAL!
:D :D :D
T
Timster
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Timster »

Rhino wrote:Reading all these amazing posts from everyone out west makes me want to say, YOU LUCKY BARSTARDS, DAMN YOU ALL, DAMN IT DAMN IT.... :x That's all I have to say now..... carry on. :D

Be careful what you wish for!
Don't know if i want another bout of 50-100mm.... give me the light show anytime though :D
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

;) Looks like other people can be optimistic with AV! So is tomorrow the day for central areas?
Go the bombersss!
D
DarkEye
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by DarkEye »

Probably nafets, it's more likely.

Moderately raining now, TBH I'm waiting to see if the power goes out as I'm convinced it will.
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

schitzengiggles wrote:
James wrote:yes, too many streetlights to see anything there, plus too many scary boronia ferals about the darker areas of my neighbourhood! :P
FFS.. you're being told by someone in your neighbourhood and by someone 15 mins west of you that there's something to see if you leave the desk, yet you won't move.. yet you've got the audacity to complain when it doesn't explode over your house? For goodness' sake mate. We're trying to help you out, but you're not taking it. Not only that, you complain when it doesn't get to you.. I can't make any sense of it at all! The sad thing is, I really do care... and would love to help you see the stuff you want to see - people were very, very patient - answered my stupid questions and pointed me in the direction of places I can go to read and learn and in doing so, helped me 11 months ago and life has been grand since! I'm chomping at the bit for an opportunity to show someone else, but you really make it hard when you seem reluctant to help yourself, which is why I'm posting in such an exacerbated tone.
As i have said before, due to health and financial reasons, I dont have a car, nor have a licence - just a learners permit i had to renew after it ran out after 10+ years....so the best i can do is walk around my own suburb...which can be a bit hairy as i joked about in my post as my nearby park, although dark...(for lightning seeking) is often home to a few drunk ferals at night...i dont really want to meet up with :)

I've just been for a walk and i cant see a single thing even up at boronia rd, streetlights just drown anything out.

I really dont think i have done anything wrong, just asked a few questions about whether triggers were there or not, expressed frustration (which is fair) when many of us wanted storms at night and it was dying each day on dusk ..(which has been explained to me why it was doing so as i was also curious why this happened)

so please dont make me out to be someone who is difficult or wont help themselves, or whatever.....I'd love to be storm chasing, I am a professional film and television camera person and have heaps of gear i would love to be making use of for getting storm material...but for reasons beyond my control i am stuck here where i live...so i hope that clears why i am asking often about chances of storms here and sorry if it Pour some people off...

btw, I've been on this forum since day 1, and also the original WZ forums for over 10 years, yes a great bunch of people and its how i have learnt so much about the weather..and radars! etc
Last edited by James on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

A bit late, but 10.5mm here today. Just thought I'd report that.
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

To right Timster, 100mm here in less than 24 hrs and I will need a boat to get around my house, no kidding. 15-20mm and a light show would be just nice. :D

s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

I'm more than happy to take you next time it's on.
My email is ryangetsemails@gmail.com and my phone number is 0408 128 244.
If you're keen to go, and I'm available, drop me a line, give me a call or shoot me a message and I'll happily take you out to get this SDS fixed!

I've met several forum members here that I'm sure will vouch for the fact that I'm not nearly as nasty as I sound!

This is the first time you've explained this, and is certainly enough to make me back off, and offer my apologies for any offence caused.

You're more than welcome to take me up on my offer anytime you like.
Last edited by schitzengiggles on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

OMG at the storm that is headed for Renmark IMPRESSIVE BOW HUGE winds with that

LOTS of Lightening here first storm just missed us to the W SW next one coming in from the NW looking Real good
Now Living in Wet QLD
a
adon
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by adon »

Just had the wind hit us and holy crap! on the 3 level on a mining plant and the wind is insane! Power flicked a couple of times and tripped out the plant. This has to be the biggest stom I have ever seen! Jeez I wish I had harvest over! this will be the end of it now just hoping hail can wipe it out!
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

I'm not a moderator, but I think it's worth reminding people that this is a public forum with all sorts of people on here from all walks of life. We are not all amateur storm chasers or experts on the weather. Some people are going to make passing comments that they are frustrated that they are missing storms. We all know the feeling.

People may be irritated by some things people say or the personal styles of some people but this doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them, just that we are all different people with different personalities etc. I don't approve of this site going down the road that the WZ forum did with people scared to post for fear of abuse coming back at them.

Nothing to report here at the moment except that it is mild and very muggy.