Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Showers and Storms: 6th - 8th November 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Showers and Storms: 6th - 8th November 2010

Post by Rivergirl »

Fantastic report Jane and Clyve. My friend lives at New Gisborne and was in Qld but I have been sending her reports.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Absolutely brilliant Michael, thanks for sharing. Love the timelapse video too.
:D
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Honestly, the reports, pics and videos in this thread are fantastic! Thanks to everyone for sharing, what a talented bunch we have on here :D

Nice work, Michael, agree with Chris, the timelapse video is great too :)
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Great stuff MK! Good to see my old home town coping such a great storm, pity I couldn't be there to witness it.

J&C nice work too. Enjoyed the report and pics. Great structure and nice wall clouds! In hindsight I should have headed to that area rather than wait around and go to Heathcote where you can't get a good view on anything. Oh well, live and learn.
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

great pics MKeene!!!! Nice storm too! Thanks also for the video of that cell!
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Very nice stuff Michael!! Pleasure watching your video too.. thanks for sharing and I am glad this time VIC gave you something reasonable! :) Keep us posted on what is happening back home over the next few days!! JEALOUS!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Wow great pics and video Michael. Love that lightning!
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Well Sunday was another great supercell day in Victoria this season (and this year really!). Well done to Jane and Clive on capturing that great southern cell which really was a surprise packet. John and I saw the death of the cell from Lancefield and then raced north to our original target area which was starting to fire. On the way we saw glimpes of a serious hard edged low wall cloud to the east but it was heading into the ranges and by the time we got to Puckapunyal we decided to leave it and head north on the Hume toward a strong updraft with backsheared anvil (with knuckles). Not sure what happened to this storm but eventually we got onto an RFB (thanks to Brayden for nowcasting) and John for looking up! near Violet Town which rapidly drew in low level scud and produced a very strong and structured wall cloud complete with multiple level sharp inflow tails! The following images show the development of the wall cloud over less than 10 minutes from first image to last! For such a serious wall cloud that appeared to me to be more than capable of producing a tornado, it really was one of the most rapid developments I have seen including many in the US. Unfortunately it wrapped in RFD with precip and forced us to make a decision which was 'lets go for it!' We went north towards Benalla with the plan to go east when we noticed another RFB that looked like it would do exactly the same thing. These RFB's were part of the same supercell that Michael Keene has already reported on in his previous thread (nice to meet you yesterday too Michael!) so it's nice to verify the obs and see another perspective and pics. The storm produced an impressive anvil with serious overshoot and moved east through the Strathbogie Ranges with us in tow! Over considerable time (well in excess of an hour) it also appeared to us that 2 mesocyclones were thriving in very close proximity to each other. Pity about the chase terrain on offer but the show was still great nonetheless.

Later that night we had a lot of fun with the lightning and shelf that moved eastward through Wodonga and then Lake Hume and beyond. My last pic is just east of Wodonga with the lights of Albury casting hues on the storm.

AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

Hi all....After recieving info from the BOM (ehanced radar) we triangulated a region of interest to commence an investigation of the Central Ranges supercell storm track. A very interesting study today (preliminary) identified a track of damage (mainly minor) from Near Glenlyon to Ashbourne. From Glenlyon extensive branch damage combined with hail damage continued to north of Little Hampton then a weakening phase with damage re-appearing just south of Fernhill, it appears the track here became wider and extended to the T section of Ashborne road and Chanters road. Near Felloons road the damage track was about 500M wide mainly branches, some were twisted (there were no large trees felled here), in the Felloons road area there is evidence of two tracks one about 2k's north of the primary track, from the Ashbourne road/Chanters road T section the track moves into the Wombat forest with no roads......Track width...Glenlyon about 200 to 300M, Little Hampton north about 100M. Fernhill about 150M and Asbourne/Chanters road T section 500M wde, the secondary track north of the primary track near Ashbourne road is about 50 to 75m wide. hail sizes in the area were between 4 and 7cm. Some roofs in parts of Woodend were damgaed (Midland Express report). Will post a map report later this week. It is interesting to note the corrilation between the radar track and the storm track. The mean driection of the track is from about 300 degrees with a slight left move however east of Asbourne the track seems to curve towards the south. in respect to strength I would suggest EF 0 regards Clyve Herbert
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)