Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Storms and rain Feb 25th-March 2nd.

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
A
Alexia
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Storms and rain Feb 25th-March 2nd.

Post by Alexia »

Rained all night another 90mm for us total 151mm for the two days.Had a set of twin calves born during the night and mum managed well animals are amazing.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Animals are amazing. There is a paddock full of big mean looking bulls at work, lately they have been grouchy and looking peeved all the time. yesyreday i saw them all lying together under a tree, watching the rain and looking very contented, i suppose they know that there will be a bit of green pasture after 3 months of stubble and hay.

Last day of summer :D Not a minute too soon in my opinion.

We are up to about 50mm here for the event, something like 65mm for the month. Pretty good really.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Had 5mm in the gauge at 11pm from yesterday's patchy rain to take our total to 35mm. It's been a very disappointing summer from a storm prospective for my area.

One last day of summer and then the countdown to my most dreaded time of year, winter! :(
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
n
norwester
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by norwester »

Finally some rain up here over the last couple of nights!! Officially 4.6 for Mildura but we had 11mm on Tuesday night and another 8 last night in Merbein. Havent seen rain like this since September. Fantastic! Although there will be the usual moans about the wet during harvest.
Dry, dusty and hot - usually!
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Another 6 mm overnight makes 42 mm for the last 3 days and 97.5mm for the month (though see my notes in Monthly Rainfall Stats.)
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Macedonian » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:15 pm wrote:
Macedonian wrote:Gee not much is showing on the clickable map, not even for Gisborne. I would say we had about 20 or 25mm in about 10mins, i will check the gauge at work tomorrow. If you are in the firing line from what is drifting down from Macedon/Riddells Creek watch out :o

30.5mm in that krazy wild storm at macedon yesterday, it was very isolated, 2km away and you wouldnt have known that it happened.

Cold up here on the mountain today, just 9.4C now, last day of summer!
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

With such a cool last day of Summer in Victoria.

Any predictions to what March might bring? More hot weather?
I know the BOM predict a cooler Autumn?
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

who knows, i would like a cool autumn, a cold winter with at least a few good snowfalls here. NO wind :D
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

WeatherViewer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:04 pm wrote:
WeatherViewer wrote:With such a cool last day of Summer in Victoria.

Many places haven't made it past 20c today. For most of Feb it was difficult to get a day that had a max temp less than 30c!

As for March, it looks like a return to warm weather in the first week but the monsoon trough looks like hanging around Northern Australia for quite some time. Sea surface temps are remaining above average, so I suspect it could be a wet month coming up, especially if a few decent cold fronts spring up.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

14.4c at Melbourne airport at the moment in the middle of the afternoon! When was the last time we saw this :o
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

I also suspect a wetter month coming up due to the monsoon hanging about. Temperature wise, as stratospear mentions, is likely to be warm again for the first week. Extended models aren't really flushing out the heat just yet so some warmer weather still likely.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

I suspect the MJO is now over North Qld and Coral Sea & in 10 days time it will move in the Western Pacific so I expect most of Australia to dry out by mid March.

26mm here Tuesday and another 12mm since with most of that 12mm falling as showers from the South overnight here didn't get that much from the trough itself here Yesterday anyway things already looking nice green and fresh again
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

It looks like we're in the Tassie rain shadow now so probably nothing more to come now, which means we ended up with 51mm here, absolutely transformed the gardens in a way that hand/sprinkler watering never can.
We now await the next event, which doesn't appear to be on the horizon yet, so we may as well enjoy a bit of late summer warmth. :D
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Ended up with 52mm for the month so ended up being a good month all in all. 17mm in no time yesterday in Maryborough and was so heavy the childcare centre roof where my boys go had it's ceiling collapse so all hell broke loose being open at the time, was in town at the time and rivers over the road and incredible intensity, just not for long. Off to Cairns on monday for a couple of weeks to see the relatives so might time it right to see some good downpours with the MJO returning. Me and the boys love the rain, not sure about the wife though :). Will be a roving tropical AWF reporter :D.

Rhino. :) :)
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Another 7mm of light rain and drizzle overnight which takes the total for this event to 56.6mm. Monthly total has wound up at 84.4mm, so a well above average month in the end.

Maximum here today of just 14C, very Autumnal.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

WeatherViewer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:04 pm wrote:
WeatherViewer wrote:With such a cool last day of Summer in Victoria.

It depends whether we snap out of the current upper level block that has been with us for most of summer but particularly stubborn over February. March is traditionally a dry month and often very warm to hot until the last week or two when it usually starts to cool down.
occluded
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by occluded »

48mm for this event, which takes us to 65mm for the month.

Oh and the water tank has gone from 1/4 full to overflowing. No more mains water on the garden for a while.

Breezy southerly all day today for the last day of summer, and was great to not be sleeping with the cooling running all night :)
q
qubert
New User
Reactions:

Post by qubert »

nice to see a little rain,shame it doesnt change the drying phase se aust is going since the 1980s.technically we are in a neutral enso phase(sea surface anomaly patterns indicate this),not so sure about that with the extended heat periods/humidity/low rainfall totals all over the country.(east coast excepted!)contradictory soi values have been generally negative, well inside the el nino range since last april........