Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic - Potential showers/storms - 21st Dec to Boxing Day 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
S
Storm2
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Vic - Potential showers/storms - 21st Dec to Boxing Day

Post by Storm2 »

Large hail reported at inverloch
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Meso mate!!! Amazing work! I'd kill to see those storms on the bay....
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
h
heatherjoan
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by heatherjoan »

I can see it in the distance from Sale - once I turned the Christmas lights off - can hear distant thunder too. Maybe I will stay up a bit.
B
Bellarine
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Bellarine »

Lily » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:20 pm wrote:
Lily wrote:MESO! :o :o :o :applause: :thumbsup: :peaceout: Love your work, what a Christmas present Santa is delivering us tonight :)

So... do I get back downstairs and shut the windows or not...

P.S. Bel, that brandy custard sounds a bit potent! Swing some my way, yeah? :P Gent dressed in red has left our place so should be with you any minute.
Lily, it's normal custard mix added with 1/2 cup brandy and two tablespoons of treacle / golden syrup - chilled in the fridge and what a ripper it was. Must remind myself not to make 10 dishes on a hot day next time :D

All eased off here, can see some flashes out to the east, but will try and get what little sleep I can with a pair of oversugared, overtired and overexcited munchkins waiting on Santa, who has apparently just passed Valdivostok on his way to Australia (if you follow santatracker !)
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Just released the thunderstorm chart for tomorrow as promised.

And .... I heard thunder!!!!! :D Must be from the cells out at sea at the moment.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
T
TheFishmanAU
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by TheFishmanAU »

floydlove » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:49 pm wrote:
floydlove wrote:So been bed-ridden all day due to heat fatigue & exhaustion due to my fatigue related illness, I go out for my late night jog knowing there were some big cells around but nothing in and around Melbourne & the radar said likewise. As I'm starting my jog, I realise there's frequent lightning to my East & South East, nothing special just frequent high-based flashes & some CC's. Very bright though as at times they lit up the whole area, barely any thunder but made the jog more interesting..

As I turn around to head back, I realise there's even more lightning to my North-North West, not as frequent but more spectacular. 2 CG's that had me blind for a second & some decent crawlers. 1 of the CG's had some pretty good thunder.

Get home expecting the radar to be lit up but hardly anything at all haha. Atmosphere is quite volatile & lightning active. Don't think I've seen that much lightning from nearly every direction without the radar being lit up haha.

Sure made the jog that more bit more interesting, tomorrow should be well set up for Central.

Merry Xmas & enjoy. :)
I can't remember seeing as intense a light show in 30 years. It came and went without any rain. As I posted earlier, It started as stars, flangfest, stars again. It was like the electrical storms of the 80s.
@The_FishmanAU is all I need to say.
t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

Just had a ripper of a storm go right over the top of us. Plenty of lightning and a little cooling rain. Great xmas pressie.
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

lightning went to my north, very active...but only a few drops of rain with it

kids were letting off fireworks across the street, didnt know which was thunder and which was fireworks!! bangs all around!

the air is stifling out there at the moment
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Yep, nice little storm to finish the day. 2 little girls have FINALLY gone to sleep, so Santa can do his thing and get to bed at last! Happy Crimbo everyone! :)
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

It's really unstable out there with showers and storms still developing across the state and some severe storms about the coast. Tomorrow is going to be crazy IMHO, I haven't seen the atmosphere this primed for a long time, the moisture levels are really high and the air mass is quite hot with close to mid 30s just over the ranges today. Tomorrow will be tropical basically and add a deep trough into the mix. Storms should dissipate in the hours up until dawn but start redeveloping by about mid morning I reckon and become extensive and severe soon after midday. My gut feeling is for storms to form rain areas by late afternoon and continue right through the evening and overnight. It could be a really big one and provide a major distraction on Christmas Day. :P

Quite a few places could see up to 50mm in all seriousness.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Lol, and tomorrow has a forcast of clearing showers and 26c's here in Bendigo..... REALLY?!?!?
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

The storm of to the north of Bendigo I can see from here.... nice crisp updraughts and prob flashing around 30times every min. Way to far away to see any Cg's as im in suburbs still. But looks nice still. And the one out to the east is still bubbling away with some really nice powerfull flashes on the backside of that as well.... Hope round 2 tomorrow is just as good if not better after dark as I'll hopefully be able to escape after 8pm tomorrow night. :)
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

rikjpool » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:54 pm wrote:
rikjpool wrote:Meso mate!!! Amazing work! I'd kill to see those storms on the bay....
Thanks mate! Been waiting for a chance at coastal storm shots for ages, but just never been down here at the right time. Finally fell in to place tonight after a failed trip to photograph The Pinnacles. So was a nice high after a bit of a downer. Would have preferred a mothership rolling in over the ocean during the day, but hey, you can't win em all!

Headin home tomorrow for Xmas dinner with the family. Crossing my fingers things fire up early, so I can "stumble" across a storm or two on the way home.
thunderhead
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by thunderhead »

Went out to take pics of the local Chrissy decorative light shows and ended up taking some shots of a much more spectacular light show! Watched 180º of CGs and crawlers from a spot in Burwood. A bit too far away for decent shots, but spectacular to watch. Best sparkles I've seen in a long time - and kept dry as well.
East Camberwell - storm free zone
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Storm to my west!! LIGHTNING!! :D
S
Storm2
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Storm2 »

This storm is awesome, 360 degree lightning dont know where to look
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Damn Meso that first shot is awesome! and so are the others, it's rare that we get clear air storms for good CG's and you were in the right spot for a great foreground.

I was at the Berwick lookout for a few hours watching the action, a lot of stuff behind rain and foggy air it seemed and then things got better with CG's in front of the rain, got about 50 CG shots. Will post a few soon
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

MESO WAKE UP!!!! Another monster coming your way! I dont have your number or i'd send ya a message bro!
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

What a beaut of a thunderstorm. Small cell, but my oh my did she have some lightning in it, seems to have all exploded on top of us looking at the WZ lightning tracker. I saw some of the best crawlers in over a year tonight, and we had five flangs, was totally amazing, and deafening!! But so awesome!! It was a good storm, and no wind, I think that made it creepier. Did get heavy rain for about 2 minutes in it, but only 1mm in the gauge. Couldn't really make out the structure of it, was blinded too much from the lightning! Still the risk of further storms overnight, but tomorrow shall be interesting, time to get some sleep think! :D
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

If Meso's asleep hopefully those CG's to the south of the Island woke him up, I'd go for a drive again if I had my own car

I was posting about this is on FB not long ago but a bat has managed to get into a CG shot with the outline lit up 4 times from the pulsing CG, I didn't know what it was till I zoomed in and could see the shape and remember a bat flying around.

Here's the twin CG shot and a crop to show the bats outline in 4 spots, will post more later
Attachments
IMG_0537.jpg
IMG_0537.jpg (88.88 KiB) Viewed 7001 times
IMG_0537_Bat.jpg
IMG_0537_Bat.jpg (133.59 KiB) Viewed 7001 times