Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria - Trough - Potential heavy rain 15-16 March 2012

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Re: Victoria - Trough - Potential heavy rain 15-16 March 201

Post by rikjpool »

I got a few pics and vids last night. Kicking my self for not heading out earlier now, but ah well. The Enchiladas were nice. Haha.

Surprisingly though we must have got under a very solid core more so than i though with 48mm in the gauge and a flooded backyard (again) to show for it.
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

I_Love_Storms » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:43 am wrote:
I_Love_Storms wrote:Great point stevco I have noticed this as well, it's not good enough - especially if people are planning their day and write off a morning thinking there will be a big persistent rain band, when likely there will be a couple of showers or nothing (not saying this is right all the time but agree In most cases over past few years it has been)
I agree! i am building a house at the moment and the builders wont show up if there has been rain forecast. They LOVE long range forecasting and the typically over dramatised rainfall estimates. If rain is forecast for say, a wednesday, then they stay away from tuesday to friday just to be on the safe side. Its very frustrating.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

rikjpool wrote:Surprisingly though we must have got under a very solid core more so than i though with 48mm in the gauge and a flooded backyard (again) to show for it.
Yet again more proof that the Bendigo Airport AWS (with only 13mm), has a storm force-field around it.
A
Alexia
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Alexia »

Second band 20.5mm rain total 40.5 mm so far 3rd band just starting.
B
BigBen
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by BigBen »

A soound remarkably like thunder here in Richmond, wasn't expecting anything today so woot!
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Yeah a decent down to soak me walking home from the train station :x :P
Go the bombersss!
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

Picked up 12.7mm in total for this event, 11.6mm at 9AM today, the remaining 1.1mm at 9AM yesterday I think, not too bad :)

Those storms over the past 48 hours weren't the best for me in terms of structure and severe weather conditions (squalls, hail, downpours, flooding, etc) but as I mentioned in my last posts, last night's storm delivered some infrequent but magnificent forked lightning! :)

Some nice showers coming through Melbourne atm, good day for staying indoors...
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Just started to pour down here in Templestowe before and is still going!
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

19mm for the event, fairly good!
Go the bombersss!
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Woo, just poured for 2 secs then stopped. Must have copped the back edge of that interesting little band moving up from the SW.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

about 38mm up on the mount and 25 here at macedon for the last day and a bit
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

Heavy downpours for 20min in Kerang last night with lots of cloud to cloud lightning.. The tent didn't hold up ..LOL
Got back home to Dunolly today with 8mm in the gauge
Local news tonight said flashflooding damage again in Castlemaine.. Redesdale had 48mm

Fabulous photos posted !!..also Great youtube 'vid' MESO

A number of members mentioned the long thunderstorm line Thursday night. Took a snap and here it is for the records
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Ended up with 14mm here for the system so nearly in the 15-20mm range I thought I'd get and got some thunder and lightning so pretty damn happy. :D Interested to see what happens with that cyclone moisture and alot cooler temps mid next week.
Yeah Crikey, Castlemaine has certainly been the hotspot over the past 3 weeks unfortunately, would love a break from the heavy falls for a while there I'd imagine.

Rhino. :) :)
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

24.3mm overnight on top of the 9.8mm the night previous gives a total of 34.1mm for the system. Around 66mm month to date which is already about 18mm above the monthly average.

Very green here now, and even the paddocks are starting to green up, much earlier than in previous years. Autumn colour is racing ahead and there should be a decent display in 2 to 3 weeks. Recent years (from 2007-2011) have seen relatively poor Autumn colour and occurring much later, holding out until as late as mid April to May. We seem to be getting back to normal thanks to the good soil moisture and a few cooler days and nights starting to mix in with the tropical warm and sultry weather accompanying the storms and rain.

Interesting stat.... 18 out of the last 27 months above average here, that's 2 out of every three months above average for the past two and a quarter years. Just goes to show what a persistently wet period it has been.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

crikey » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:56 pm wrote:
crikey wrote:Heavy downpours for 20min in Kerang last night with lots of cloud to cloud lightning.. The tent didn't hold up ..LOL
Got back home to Dunolly today with 8mm in the gauge
Local news tonight said flashflooding damage again in Castlemaine.. Redesdale had 48mm

Fabulous photos posted !!..also Great youtube 'vid' MESO

A number of members mentioned the long thunderstorm line Thursday night. Took a snap and here it is for the records
Thanks crickey. I have uploaded my entire set from last nights storms to the storm chasing forum (even included a flickr link so you can view them all)

And yes, that was quite a sight to see storms stretching from one side of the country to the other!
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

3mm here yesterday, for a grand total of 24mm. Very handy rainfall here without creating any problems. Not sure if the same can be said for further NE of us.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Genreally 20-30mm through Central, 22mm here. Totals well above 70mm through the NE causing problems.

Models not showing much for Wednesday, but i think we will get stacks. I cant see how we wont, and expect the models to upgrade accordingly, especially seeing as EC now also has a cold outbreak for Friday progged
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
A
Alexia
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Alexia »

We finished with 47mm rain at house another part of farm had 55mm.Lucky no thunderstorms close to us.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Anthony Violi » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:27 am wrote:
Anthony Violi wrote:Genreally 20-30mm through Central, 22mm here. Totals well above 70mm through the NE causing problems.

Models not showing much for Wednesday, but i think we will get stacks. I cant see how we wont, and expect the models to upgrade accordingly, especially seeing as EC now also has a cold outbreak for Friday progged
Agreed. Looks like mayhem for the most part of Australia actually with multiple cyclones/lows/fronts/troughs you name it. Very action packed second half of March! :D
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

And April through to November.

Not forgetting the monsoon came in one month late, will go through to May.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com