Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Trough, Heavy rain/storms - Feb 11-13th.

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Trough, Heavy rain/storms - Feb 11-13th.

Post by Lily »

w00t! Way to go, Hamlan :D Not bad for a night in with the kids lol!

Now, while you're all sitting here clicking refresh on the radar and on this thread waiting to see if that lot was but an entree, why don't you all go and post your January rainfall totals for me in the link in my sig :P
I
Ian1971
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Ian1971 »

Yeah OK Lily 189.9mm in the Gully Friday 5am to Saturday 10 am
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

schitzengiggles wrote:So far away? What glass did you have on Brad?
I was using a 50mm 1.8 and a 24-105mm for those shots Ryan.
I
Ian1971
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Ian1971 »

oh and 320.1 mm YTD.cheers
b
blackmamba
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by blackmamba »

Rain has set in, here in Warragul.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Beautiful, back to NE flow. Still lightning to my east. I don't think it is the end of it. Isolated thunderstorms should contract northwards as the trough pushes east.
g
greensyboy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by greensyboy »

Well that was amazing! I also was expecting nothing, went out for a jog at about 8:15pm. 8:45 thought I saw a flash over the back of my shoulder, turned around to see an alarm box on a house "Ahhh.. That's what it must've been, no storms tonight!" 10 minutes later I reach the top of a hill and start heading west, sure enough persistent CCs. Straight to Windy Hill, spent a good hour there watching the storms cross Melbourne.

Amazing structure, I was right on the edge of the anvil. The lights of Melbourne were lighting up the base perfectly, could make out the base really well. Very strong CGs as well, the likes of which I have not seen in a long time. Nights like this make me want to buy a SLR camera!

Got home just before 10pm when my brother gets home - he'd been out delivering pizzas and said that lightning had struck a tree along Greensborough Highway next to the Army barracks. When he went past the tree was alight with Fire crews and Police attending.

Another few of these events before the end of the season and this will probably be one of the best seasons I have seen here.
Last edited by greensyboy on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Severe Weather Enthusiast
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

This one caught me with my pants down and batteries flat. So these are handheld, shot in .jpg, with a dirty lens. That'll teach me for being a sceptic.
10-20mm donk on for all of these, and they're all shot on or around 10mm.
I'm sort of glad I didn't get a full on bolt here, because I'd probably still be fuming about the drops of water on the lens and shooting it in .jpg!
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Ryan, love that 2nd shot with structure illuminated by a great CG! Pants down? hope the Box Hill locals weren't too shocked :o
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Second shot's a beauty, Ryan :D Did you remember to pull your pants back up? :P

Thanks for that Ian :) Have you got your Jan totals? Go to this thread so that I can get you onto the Jan map too!
s
samueliza
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:
Location: Point Cook- or somewhere in Northern or Western Victoria!!!

Post by samueliza »

14mms here in Point Cook! Sweet spot ...................again! The west is no longer the dessert!
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

I have thirty seven thousand responses to that. All of which aren't kid friendly. So I'll leave this remark here as a reminder of the one occasion where you managed to get off the hook.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

I walk away from the radar and computer for a couple of hours and come back to like 6 pages!!! Things got developing quickly out of no-where really. Weather does as it does. Potential for further thunderstorms overnight in Melbourne, similar to what was experienced a short time ago.

For here at home, some nice persistent rain areas. About 4mm according to my Weather Station.

Great pictures as always ... just remember to have them in thumbnail format, it keeps data usage down, particularly for those who do not have much. Thanks.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
H
Harley34
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Harley34 »

Well, that was amazing. Walking home from work, and i see a flash. Then another, and another. Then it gets closer. Turns out it was a smaller thunderstorm than i expected it to be.

Whilst it had a beautiful anvil, and was lightning savvy, the rain only lasted a good couple of minutes. Think we had the outer ring of the cell, but that woooooooosh sound from the incoming rain was insane. Sounded like somebody had turned out a jet engine. As for animals, don't think i have ever seen a cat and a bat go past me at the same time.

Still humid. Nice band of showers and rain passing through the CBD at the moment. Current conditions near mine: 23/21.2/90

If only the atmosphere wasn't so saturated, today would of been incredible. Next Wednesday looks promising and there still might be a few more flashes and rumbles tonight.
b
blackmamba
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by blackmamba »

Rain has slowed down in warragul, unsure of how much we got.
I'm not hearing anything o the roof and scared it's come to a stop just as I'm going to bed.
A crying shame, storms are soothing for me. :(

Good night TAWF.
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

What a night! Certainly better than I initially expected! :D

Went shopping and had dinner down at Fountain Gate with the family, a dense ugly hazy overcast hangs overhead, but with scattered cumulus 'boiling' here and there... a sign that storms could happen. And yes they did! Checked the radar at about 8:30PM on my mobile, a line of cumulonimbus is developing over Melbourne, and soon severe thunderstorm warnings go out!! An hour later, I'm up Johns Hill Reserve (overlooking Monbulk), filming a videoclip of the quite intense cell that swept over Mount Dandenong, a fair amount of lightning, but only managed to record a few flashes, along with the sound of rain against the roof of our car. Great fun! :)

Certainly nothing compared to the amazing severe weather last week, and to the storm outbreak last month while I was in Corryong, but I'll take anything that nature throws at me, no matter where I am! ;)
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

I've just googled that place. Looks like a ripper of a spot. Perhaps you might like to add it to here? http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... f=23&t=753" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

Black beetles here too!!!! Millions of them...

Watched the lightning to the SE over Melbourne while mowing the block on the ride-on with headlights...great light show!!!! Jane
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Good to see you could get a glimpse of it while mowing at night ROFL!!! Hilarious fb picture too btw.

Light rain here with a very nice area of rain developing back on the SW corner. Should see scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms between that and here.

Still could erupt at any time. Worth watching and keeping the curtains open!!!!

Edit: That stuff in the SW is now taking on a thundery signature. Might be a nice drop afterall.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

schitzengiggles wrote:I've just googled that place. Looks like a ripper of a spot. Perhaps you might like to add it to here? http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... f=23&t=753" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just forwarded you the details, hope it helps! :)