Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Warm then a strong front - December 7 to 10 2016

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
H
Harley34
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Warm then a strong front: December 7 to 10

Post by Harley34 »

Wow, the Adelaide radar right now is impressive as the front pushes through. A line that stretches from the Northern parts of SA to Coastal/South Eastern parts of SA and the trough is fetching down into Western VIC from the infeed. It's all actually looking quite nice and developed. Recently, Adelaide has faired better with severe weather than us, but something tells me that once the sunrises again in several hours, it will reignite that rainband. I think between 6-9am will have good rain/possible storms and showers to follow
H
Harley34
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Harley34 »

James wrote:have to wait and see...except i am having trouble keeping awake..

is there any app that alerts you when lightning is within a certain radius of where you are located?
I just search lightning tracker vic on google and it works that way. I don't have an app for lightning, but there should be one. Check out the radar in Adelaide, James...awesome
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

ahh it would be so handy for an app like that to exist..that beeps when lighting is within a specified region and wakes you up!...so many times i want to sleep but know if i do i will prob miss any storm that does occur.

indeed adelaide is looking great, but will it come down this way?
H
Harley34
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Harley34 »

James wrote:ahh it would be so handy for an app like that to exist..that beeps when lighting is within a specified region and wakes you up!...so many times i want to sleep but know if i do i will prob miss any storm that does occur.

indeed adelaide is looking great, but will it come down this way?
Possibly, the band is quite long, so it should reach us for rainfall, but lightning depends...
H
Harley34
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Harley34 »

Wind starting to pick up now a bit and that's a solid band of rain and storms approaching. If you look from the 512 Melbourne composite radar, there's a radar hole between Bordertown and Mt. Gambier, so expect that to be filled with rain too. I think we may get 15mm out of this generally, more or less depending on storms and specifics

Severe weather, gotta love it. SA turning the crank now, particularly the area between Swan Reach and Jamestown. Seems like the Mallee and the Wimmera should get a good soak, as the system moves in an east/south east fashion
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

I'm off to bed, i dont have high hopes it will be lightning active by the time it gets here
H
Harley34
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Harley34 »

James wrote:I'm off to bed, i dont have high hopes it will be lightning active by the time it gets here
Set the alarm for 4:30-5am perhaps and maybe something brewing
H
Harley34
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Harley34 »

Band slipping on the border now, as it hits the radar hole and the secondary front below seems to be trickling in to Tasmania. Our main focus should be the stuff on the border and as the front pushes against the weakening highs in Central NSW and the Tasman, it will all straighten out nicely.

As for the Lightning, looks fine for those out on the ocean below Portland on a track towards King Island. Otherwise, the rest has humbled to moderate/heavy rain areas near the border, but may reignite around dawn. Light winds continue...
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Wild and windy up here currently. Really gusty at tree tops.

Rainband inbound and looks quite promising. Should see 5-10mm here (and we do need it). Falls out west are ok, but nothing too spectacular. Expect the heaviest falls will be on the northeast slopes as is pretty typical.

Showers then later into tomorrow in the cold air. Gotta be a good chance for some sparks with the coldies around Bass Strait and the Bays.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

6mm in 1 hour so far here with a moderate rain rate currently. Should see it peaking between 8am to 9am up here. Cyclogenesis underway just west of bass strait ....loop the himawari 8 and enjoy the growth spurt over the next 6 hours :)
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Nothing too spectacular unfortunately
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
H
Horts
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:
Location: Safety Beach (Home) / Mount Waverley (Work) / Cowes (Beach House)

Post by Horts »

Quite unremarkable, light rain along Peninsula Link, wipers off by East Link. Radar overestimating.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

getting real up here. @ 8:25am - Daylesford 35mm, Trentham 35mm and intensity up a notch now...currently 12mm here and moving up.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Certainly favoring the northern slopes so far as expected. Barely enough to dampen the ground here, and in a dry slot for the last half hour. It's just started again and shows more promise as the colder air is closing in.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Lovely dark gloomy morning with the rain absolutely sheeting down. Just in the nick of time here on the flatland at Macedon. It was starting to look a little too dry.
This is a nice way to start summer.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Wow! It is hammering down now!
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Just drove from Cranbourne West to Wantirna South. Pelting down at home, but quite dry-ish from Dandenong northwards.

Rain trying to notch up a gear at Wantirna South, but nothing too exciting
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

7mm so far from this little event. Way ahead of the rest of the metro area.

Phillip Island has 14mm so far.

So the southern areas doing okay from it so far
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Finally in the band proper with moderate rain here now. Just passing 5mm. Hoping for 10mm at least from the front before it clears (then thinking similar with showers). Couple of hot days coming up so keen for a good water of the garden ;)

Btw watch the fast moving squall line on the front proper. Could well throw out a spark and will be very gust. Just moving up on Geelong currently.

Awesome to see those good falls on the northern slopes and west. Just keeps summers fire season and brown at bay for a while longer :D
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

16 mm here so far; better than I expected. Perfect timing to keep things green a while longer.

Surprised we seem to be doing better so far than east of Melbourne? The models had suggested the exact opposite.