Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Cold Fronts: August 22 - 26

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Cold Fronts: August 22 - 26

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Duckman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:08 pm wrote:
Duckman wrote:Hi Karl,

Storms this September you feel?

Can you predict severity?

What are chances of "super cell" storms this season?

If we get storms as early as September, I can assume we could be in for a bit of heavier activity through Dec/Jan and maybe later on in March again?

Cheers.

Hi DM,

I think we can look forward to enhanced storm activity this spring, perhaps commencing through the latter half of September as temps finally begin to warm a bit and the westerly belt ends up moving south a little more allowing troughs and moisture to build up over the inland.

I think there is a good chance of exceeding rainfall this year in the spring and summer months with heavy thunderstorms. Once the monsoon kicks in over the north it could spark something along the lines of the past few years for us.

So something to look forward too. Predicting supercells as such is a little more tricky so it will come down to following us on the forum through discussion and watching the forecasts as for looking out for the next possible event.

Congratulations Ben!! Nice work. Will find out more about this Victorian Storm Chasers!!! :)

Cloud thickening now. Sun was nice today! A little rain likely over peak hour.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Nothings changed, still looking good. Should see a decent system Thursday and Friday with some big falls on the ranges, another one early next week, and then a trend of bigger systems to follow.

Still struggling to get any semblance of Spring happening, its trying its best but the westerly belt and LWt is just too strong for the time being.

As soon as we get some heat, which is building in the interior, we will open the gate for some heat lows and mositure to feed south.

Hopefully this happens in the next fortnight.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Yeah the bigger systems dependent upon moisture, but looking like a series of cold fronts for the week and into next week.

Hopefully some good falls across the state again this week but nothing to flood towns etc... So we will watch that.

Quite windy out there at the moment, looking like we could get a little bit of rain but not a whole lot, perhaps enough to wet the ground. Have to wait till Wed/Thurs.

Jake has updated the forecasts this evening.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Yep should certainly be an interesting period of weather, and what fascinates me is the continued developments in model prognostics of cut-off low pressure systems. Models continue to form them through the extended period, and I suspect cut-offs will have a large role this Spring, or at least an obvious role.

Tonight's weakening cold front will slip southeast so that's why we are seeing some patchy light rain and isolated showers through parts of the south and even north. Most of it should clear overnight or early morning. Tomorrow is an 'inbetween' front day with generally fresh to strong northwesterly winds that will become gusty ahead of the next front that will reach the west at night. Expecting a bit of instability ahead of it so isolated showers again a feature during the afternoon/evening which will tend scattered near the ranges and in the southwest. Brief risk of thunder too. This front itself should bring better showery conditions for the entire state on Thursday and some rain areas. Hail and thunder as well. Watch for stream rises in the northeast and southwest. And watch for very strong winds on Friday as the low to the south passes on by.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

And that warmer air has arrived this morning. Quite a mild night - one of the warmer ones since Autumn. Northerly winds were up all night.

A bit of rain in the NE and North Central this morning but only around 1-3mm.

Still looking windy and westerly and this could impede high rainfall but ensure rain on most days. Might have to take the rain areas off the forecast come later in the week and bring it back to just a few showers. Could still be some reasonable convection around though on Fri/Sun.

Spring has sprung this morning!
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Had to look a few times seeing 13 deg this morning.

Magnolia is looking great but wind is knocking it around so wont be pretty for much longer.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Radar Down for 6.5 hours..
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

That means it is bound to rain Shell! LOL!

Some thundery showers moving through SA at the moment, will reach the west this afternoon and Central areas tonight. Could be a spark or two in the west with middle level instability and evelated temps.

Could see some very high temps across NSW today. We were close to getting 25C weather here today!
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Australis(Shell3155) » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:45 am wrote:
Australis(Shell3155) wrote:Radar Down for 6.5 hours..
The back-up Melbourne Airport radar is up and running.

Here is the link:

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR513.loop.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Certainly spring Like conditions today. Very windy last night up to 25 knots on my weather station in the early hours.
The wind kept the temperature high. My minimun was 13.2c the warmest night of the winter, warmest night since May 9 at my place.
Looking forward to some colder comditions over the next couple of days - dont like warm weather in winter.
In fact I wish our winters were about 5 degrees cooler - that would make things interesting
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

this is the back up...

Radar service is currently unavailable due to:
Sorry outage information is currently unavailable. Yep.. It is going to Rain
M
ManilaPlaya87
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ManilaPlaya87 »

Dane » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:18 am wrote:
Dane wrote:Certainly spring Like conditions today. Very windy last night up to 25 knots on my weather station in the early hours.
The wind kept the temperature high. My minimun was 13.2c the warmest night of the winter, warmest night since May 9 at my place.
Looking forward to some colder comditions over the next couple of days - dont like warm weather in winter.
In fact I wish our winters were about 5 degrees cooler - that would make things interesting
It would be more like Vancouver or London with an average temp of 8 rather than 13 and we'd more often see rain mixed with sleet than actual snow unless during one of our cold outbreaks :)

Speaking of cold outbreaks if it doesn't come off early september ala 1995 then i think it's curtains this winter starting now. Snow down to 800m however forecasted on sunday which indicates a max of 13. BOM going for 14
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

hey all, im FINALLY moving into my new house on mt macedon, can anyone give me good news re. the weather tomorrow? The man with the van is coming from 1pm, i hope its not going to be too wet.

Does that 800m snow for sunday include my area? Or just the eastern ranges? I know its getting late in the season but i think anything is possible at Mt Macedon! definitely through september, up to the equinox or a bit beyond. Winter keeps its grip nice and tight up there.

Looking forward to reporting from MM instead of here on the farm in Macedon.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
d
dry
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dry »

Almost 20 degrees in CBD......warmer weather how I've missed you!
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

It is even warm here 14.9C at Macedon, phewww!
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Got to 20.5c here today. So it was not only the warmest night since May 9 at my place but also the warmest day since then.
Spring is not far away
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Yes, 14.9c here as well, really mild for August but totally ruined by a howling wind all day which made it feel cooler, still we're gradually inching closer to spring. :)
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Wind wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, for at home anyway, so temperatures managed to reach to a lovely mild 16.3 degrees, which is what it's currently sitting at.

Will be updating the forecasts this evening; at around 7pm. Stay tuned, including for the audio briefing.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

20.5c here today, not much wind though!
Go the bombersss!
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

I see Melbourne's temperature topped 20 today, ending the 90 day streak of <20°C temperatures. I remember Johnno had a list of longest streaks below 20°C temps a couple of years ago, would this year be high up on that list?

Beautiful day here today, very very gusty through the day though. First day that I've really felt the heat of the sun.