Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Storms and rain Feb 25th-March 2nd.

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
A
Alexia
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Storms and rain Feb 25th-March 2nd.

Post by Alexia »

We have had 46mm rain started 1600hrs -1730hrs , Steady rain again now.
M
Madmel
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Madmel »

Boy did it bucket down this morning. Roads were horrid to drive on :?

About a inch of rain in Tarneit, watching the storm development in Williamstown
t
tre75
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by tre75 »

Tomorrow definitely looks good at this point, I thought yesterday that the tropical cyclone cloud had a chance to drift down this way as well and join with the cold front (the barometric models at that point didn't favor it, but they do now), if that happens then hits the NE flow clouds as well, wow that could be quite a severe rain event, if the NE clouds push out too sea even then you still have NW aus tropical air mixing with cool frontal air, and that is worthy in itself.

Another rainstorm on the cards, well considering most of vic is bone dry the land can take it as much as it can get, and if it rains quite fast then flash flooding is quite possible, considering that BOM usually takes a conservative approach in these regards might be better too expect some big falls.
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

well they are developing over the west but not in the metro area again which is strange. Does this system need the sun or will it have its own power even after dark?

there were some really weird cloud formations earlier, like anvils but with no bottoms to it
Poncho
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Poncho »

What are the chances of these cells coming in from the west holding? I might head down to the bay for a few shots.
t
tre75
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by tre75 »

It was sunny here as I was writing that message now its not, those cells kinda look weakish too me, what I saw on the way home was some weird formations as well, some grey cumulo nimbus mixed with weird anvils low storm cloud bases but it was broken up like you say, when I got home I saw the radar and thought maybe (my boss asked me before I left - I said maybe then too), tomorrow is the big one though.

Just doesn't seem consistent enough to really generate anything really big today, at least we have the humidity for tomorrow, if the sun had of came out earlier in the afternoon then today would have been better.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Macedonian » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:31 pm wrote:
Macedonian wrote:Something weird is going on, just checked my gauge and it reads 32.5mm and the bom says 39mm since yesterday afternoon here. My gauge has been registering less than the bom over the last few events, It used to be almost always exactly the same. I wonder if the Mount Macedon AWS has been moved?
I only got 26mm here which was one of the lowest falls on the central ranges. The rainfall rates would have varied a fair bit given the convective nature of the rainfall. It just happens that all the local rainfall stations recorded more rain than here by an average of about 5-7mm (roughly), this doesn't mean however that if all those stations were located a few kms away there wouldn't have been different results. You find much more even rainfall readings over space in a stratiform rainband (in autumn/winter for example).

Rain is getting pushed east by the models now although there may be more rain than what models are indicating because it is yet again convection cloud and storms in the mix so some places could get heavier 'spikes'. The eastern half of the state is set to be drenched though.

Very dark now to my west. Coming home there were a few powerful looking updraughts in the area and Cbs trying hard to get going.

It seems to be building on radar and the models have always indicated that instability will hang around tonight with the trough and cool upper air approaching. There is a lot of cirrus, middle level cloud formations and glaciated looking cloud tops out there.
M
MasterOfRoc
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by MasterOfRoc »

Is it late enough to voice my disappointment in what Central Vic has to offer?
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Just realised that I emptied out last night's rain and had already recorded it. :oops: The 26.4mm does not include the storms yesterday evening. I actually got 35.2mm.
Now that's a pleasant surprise. :D

I don't care about tomorrow as much now. ;)
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

No, its the Pour of storms out there again dying before getting to the metro area, oh well - i cant work out why most of the time it fails but other times flukes it and we have big storms.

Last night wantirna apparently had flooding rain, we are just up the road and we only got a light sprinkle...

such is the weather...

Very frustrating though seeing storms forming near for so many weeks but not actually coming this way
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Tommorow will be interesting to see what this humid air can do when it hits a cold air mass, but won't be much for me but that's alright, 5000L tank is a foot from it's top now after being a foot off the bottom so anymore will be just a bonus. :D Storm to my south now with thunder being heard.

Rhino. :) :)
B
BERVY
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by BERVY »

I am absolutely shattered. So hopeful of a decent fall here in Wodonga - forecast 90% chance of 20-40mm, and we desperately need something (as does everyone). It's been over a month since any decent rain here. Last fall was early Jan (12mm) then prior to that December only had 14.6mm.

Now we have this fantastic system rolling across VIC and we get ... ZIP, NADA, ZILTCH, FA!!!!!!!!

Sooooooo disappointed. Maybe my tears can water something ... :( :( :( :( :(

I know we all need rain but please wish for anything decent here.

THX
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

EC has the windchange pushing through the CBD at about 1pm which to me should be just time enough for convection to develop and a line of storms to fire up but as it will go east watch it expand and tend to a thundery rainband as Andrew said Gippsland and the NE should get a drenching

As for Tonight wouldn't surprise me if these thundery showers make it into the metro area especially the Western suburbs, crickets are in full voice tonight loudest they have been all Summer and its taken to the 3rd last day of Summer to get going.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Quite a bit of oomph in the showers to the west of Melbourne. We had 10 mm in no time and missed the best of it; Ballarat is closing in on its ytd (Jan + Feb) average and will most likely pass it in the next few hours.
Last edited by Gordon on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Anyone seen the fresh convection in the NW sky at the moment over the western suburbs? Where that come from? Expect these showers or storms to make it well into the Metro area tonight going by the sky
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Finally get a chance to post my total, 23.5mm since late yesterday afternoon.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

33mm for me so far, so very pleased with that. Still some folks up north yet to register, let's hope that tomorrow delivers for them, then I think we'll all be happy Victorians. :D
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

well the storms are closing in on the western suburbs, but no lightning from them? - radio is dead with no static..why are they not firing up?..the ingedients are there enough?
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Rain just started here.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
dagget
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dagget »

Thunder and a bit of rain for us up here too