Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Burst of winter 23rd - 27th May

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Re: Burst of winter 23rd - 27th May

Post by rikjpool »

Brian More posted this on facebook this afternoon from Hopetoun

I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

GREAT PIC if only this was November the s Storms and hail would have been INSANE

GReat Pics lots of small hail So cool
Bring on the heat and stroms
T
Twiggy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Twiggy »

WOW Riki!! Is that Hail?? or snow LOL Awesome!! We have rain on and off here, hopefully enough to get us started on sowing!! Is a welcome site xx
T
Twiggy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Twiggy »

Twiggy » Thu May 24, 2012 10:31 pm wrote:
Twiggy wrote:WOW Riki!! Is that Hail?? or snow LOL Awesome!! We have rain on and off here, hopefully enough to get us started on sowing!! Is a welcome site xx
Love the Blue Sky BTW.. so ironic!!!
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Had 7mm here over the last 90 mins so steady but not heavy yet, may even stop soon here but more on the way. That pic is mad for that area, would have looked great over the paddocks there. :)

Rhino. :) :)
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

That's what I was talking about with hail drifts! Much more to come.

Latest GFS puts widespread heavy falls through Central so after all that it's finally all coming on to Access-R from 2 days ago.

Rain really increasing now, could see some good storms overnight developing from the border straight down thru Central areas.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

First sound of rain on the roof now, seem to be areas of rain appearing out of nothing all over the state, probably indicating convective nature of the atmosphere, could well be some rumbles anywhere tonight. Fascinating to witness a low in its embryonic stage over us, starting to evolve into a big bad boy tomorrow, ha!
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Lots of convergence happening by the looks of it. Surface low/s generating localized wind conditions which are converging with general wind patterns from the upper low? Definitely looks that way on radar
M
Mikew
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Mikew »

More warnings are out from the bureau
Hate to be a nervous nelie but might be advisable to stay off the roads tomorrow as cyclonic conditions develop
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Small black core on that cell near Anglesea.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Heavy rain in bursts now, over 10mm here, caning down again but will stop soon or wake the kids. :) Only dark blue on BOM radar so must be underestimating a bit here.

Rhino. :) :)
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Postpones our drive up to the Country until Sunday. Didnt want to risk driving in the weather.
fortius quo fidelius
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Pressure seems to be lower nth of the divide. Seems like the low is tracking more east than SE??
Peter
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Mikew » Thu May 24, 2012 10:12 pm wrote:
Mikew wrote:More warnings are out from the bureau
Hate to be a nervous nelie but might be advisable to stay off the roads tomorrow as cyclonic conditions develop
Certainly a major upgrade in wind speeds in that warning compared to what was issued in the 4.30 pm forecasts!
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Didjman, what is your altitude at Broadford? If you're high up asl it would account for your low pressure reading compared to the airport.
N
Nick Sykes
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Nick Sykes »

Cranking up now with a nice band of rain with embedded storms stretching SW Vic up to the Northern Country, this will move through the Melbourne area during the wee hours and give us a good drink.

Nick
A
Alexia
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Alexia »

Up to 19.5mm rain with only very light mist at present.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Geoff wrote:Didjman, what is your altitude at Broadford? If you're high up asl it would account for your low pressure reading compared to the airport.
[/quote]

Geoff 202M is local ASL.
Peter
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

No heavy rain or damaging winds in Templestowe yet. This storm is starting to look impressive. :D It's a shame that I might miss it if it occurs more in the morning as I'm busy doing things. Hopefully I'll be able to see it or at least some of it!

Here's a radar of the whole of Victoria so you get an idea of what we're heading into... http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR021.loop.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and here's the latest weather warning... http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/warnings/severe.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Severe Weather Warning

IDV28000

Severe Weather Warning
for damaging winds and heavy rain
for people in the Wimmera, South West, North Central, Central and West and South Gippsland forecast districts
Issued at 10:01 pm EST on Thursday 24 May 2012.
Weather Situation
A low pressure system is developing rapidly over northwestern Victoria and will move southeastwards to be just south of Melbourne by Friday morning and just east of Tasmania by Friday night. The low will intensify further as it tracks away across the south Tasman Sea on Saturday.

Damaging winds averaging 50 to 70 km/h with peak gusts around 100 km/h are forecast for parts of the Central and West and South Gippsland forecast districts during Friday.

Rain and thunderstorms which may lead to flash flooding is forecast for parts of the Wimmera, South West, North Central, Central and West and South Gippsland forecast districts.

The State Emergency Service advises that people should:

Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
Keep clear of fallen power lines.
Don't drive, ride or walk through flood water.
Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
The next warning will be issued by 5:00 am EST Friday.
This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts; the Bureau's website at http://www.bom.gov.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or call 1300-659-217*.

The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Guys, brace yourself for the mother of canings. AV and Karl spot on. One of the most severe scenarios I've seen in a very long time. The radar has gone subtropical this morning. Warnings left right and centre as well. Enjoy, get photos, this will be a day to remember!