Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Trough - showers/rain/storms - 6th-10th November

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Trough - showers/rain/storms - 6th-10th Novemb

Post by Didjman »

Sky clearing here. 19/16.8 here. the baro is yo-yoing atm.
Let the show begin!
Peter
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Massive crack of thunder at 2.30am, lots of lightening and a downpour. calm now, showers earlier.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Not much clear air, probably 2 hours worth, to come through here by midday. That should be more than enough though with todays conditions and it will be prime heating time. Can't wait.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
A
Andy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Andy »

Yup, clearing up here now. Sun is out and temp on the way up.
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by wolfcat »

Emptied 14mm out of the gauge this morning...

just missed the 3:30 storm, only waking as it had passed, so despite standing outside and being able to see the lightning, no decent photos of it.
T
TheFishmanAU
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by TheFishmanAU »

Just what the doctor ordered, a lovely clearing to percolate some more storms. The conditions are nearly perfect for some more severe storms. Can't wait.
@The_FishmanAU is all I need to say.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Sun starting to poke through here now. Only concern is the cap (if there is one) that will need to break, would need 25C today to get some ripper storms anything higher than that and it could get very nasty.

Should see 10-25mm in the east of the state over the coming few hours and showers and thunderstorms on the develop and increase from 2pm across W and N VIC drifting into C areas after 4pm.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Was woken up at regular intervals throughout the night by heavy rain & thunder. Rain was torrential at times with big fat juicy drops of rain. Sounds like we are in for an interesting couple of days!
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

Gday everybody!! What a night! :D

Picked up 21.1mm this morning, that should be a good starting point for this event, not to mention help Melbourne's catchments :)

Here's my story of the night...

Used the computer outside until about midnight, just enjoying the balmy conditions. I had aeroguard on btw, so the insects weren't too much of a problem, and I had a nearby power source, so no need to worry about flat batteries. :)

When I went back inside and headed off to bed I had a feeling that storms could strike at anytime during the night so I took a few precautions and kept the camera close by... I only got 2 hours of sleep last night (an extra 3.5 hours sleep later on), so you can imagine I feel really exhausted :( :o

It was the humidity that woke me up at around 2:30AM, within about 45 minutes storms develop and dump heavy rain and unleash lightning (a few dangerously close CGs mind you)... realising that sleep was next to impossible up until about 7AM I pulled out the camera and recorded some footage :) generally very poor filming and photography conditions, but I scored a nice CC (cloud to cloud lightning bolt) :D

Come 7AM I went back to bed and slept for about 3.5 hours, still thick in the head but I should be fine for now... getting the camera ready for what I'm hoping to be a wild afternoon & evening

:bringiton: :mexicanwave: :applause: :peaceout: :lighting:
W
WaterBaby
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WaterBaby »

Full sun just north of Serpentine. Barely a cloud in the sky.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

aussiestormfreak » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:29 am wrote:
aussiestormfreak wrote:Gday everybody!! What a night! :D

Picked up 21.1mm this morning, that should be a good starting point for this event, not to mention help Melbourne's catchments :)

Here's my story of the night...

Used the computer outside until about midnight, just enjoying the balmy conditions. I had aeroguard on btw, so the insects weren't too much of a problem, and I had a nearby power source, so no need to worry about flat batteries. :)

When I went back inside and headed off to bed I had a feeling that storms could strike at anytime during the night so I took a few precautions and kept the camera close by... I only got 2 hours of sleep last night (an extra 3.5 hours sleep later on), so you can imagine I feel really exhausted :( :o

It was the humidity that woke me up at around 2:30AM, within about 45 minutes storms develop and dump heavy rain and unleash lightning (a few dangerously close CGs mind you)... realising that sleep was next to impossible up until about 7AM I pulled out the camera and recorded some footage :) generally very poor filming and photography conditions, but I scored a nice CC (cloud to cloud lightning bolt) :D

Come 7AM I went back to bed and slept for about 3.5 hours, still thick in the head but I should be fine for now... getting the camera ready for what I'm hoping to be a wild afternoon & evening

:bringiton: :mexicanwave: :applause: :peaceout: :lighting:
Same here but didn't really expect it!!! Was a really good surprise!! It had to happen sooner or later I suppose :)
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Very good morning across the majority of the state with falls of up to 30mm in the east and widespread 10-15mm elsewhere. A nice rain band overnight which developed as expected, though had quite a bit more thunderstorm activity along it than I anticipated. Just checking everything else now, will update the thunderstorm chart within the next 30 mins.

We have 23 degrees here with a DP of 18 degrees, 78% RH.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
c
cim85
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by cim85 »

Still very grey here in West Gippsland with 8/8 cloud cover - received 29mm overnight to 10am this morning. Like other AWF members I was woken up by the flangs as was my great dane who is a big sook because he crawled up onto the bed with me! Not much room left for my legs.
N
Nick Sykes
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Nick Sykes »

Weird day out there today, a few thoughts

Looks to be some kind of trough, convergence stretching from about Swan Hill to about Geelong with NE winds meeting NW winds, this line could be interesting to watch as the day progresses, especially if we get a bit more clearing, which is already occurring in the north. Clearance off course is the big factor today with ample moisture and what looks like a trigger in place, just need sun to get things going, this looks a given in the northern areas, but down south we will have to see if what we get is enough.

Heres a link showing the convergence

http://www.australianweathernews.com/ch ... ria_00.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.australianweathernews.com/ch ... rne_00.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nick

(oh, as I type, some filtered sun in caulfield)
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Great to hear all the good falls around, missed out totally here so hoping for a decent fall later and thinking it might be a nice arvo/evening. :D

Rhino. :) :)
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

first mid level convection starting here. Only small atm.
Peter
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

Sun is out, Very Humid, and I observe small convection cumulas.
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

Not a drop here so far but with the sun out hopefully we'll get some good heating for storm development this afternoon.Still looking for 50 to 70mm by Thurs afternoon.They have been letting a fair bit of water out of Lake Hume,2 weeks ago it was at 97% now 92%.Getting ready for the predicted deluge maybe
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

So I have updated the thunderstorm chart, here: http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... mchart.htm

Activity is going to be very dependent on clear air and the latest visual is indicating some good clearance occurring currently through most regions of the Wimmera, Southwest, Central regions. Going to be a very interesting afternoon.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

For reference sake but I am with Jake on this one.

IDV65758
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Victoria Regional Office

THUNDERSTORM FORECAST
Issued at 12:30 pm Tuesday, 8 November 2011,
Valid until midnight on Tuesday, 8 November 2011.
Severe thunderstorm warning current for very heavy rainfall and flash flooding in the eastern part of the state at time of issue. Thunderstorm activity is possible elsewhere across the state as unstable conditions persist with very high moisture within a warm airmass. The most likely area for thunderstorms to redevelop is the southwest where a weak change near the coast could help to trigger activity. Recent thunderstorms have also been observed near the northwestern border and about the eastern northern country.

Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com