Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Cold fronts & cut-off low - 17-20th Dec (Obs)

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Cold fronts & cut-off low - 17-20th Dec (Obs)

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Mount Evelyn must have been smashed. Gutters overflowing everywhere and a fallen 30m gum tree blocking off a main road!
h
heatherjoan
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by heatherjoan »

Meso wrote:
Looks like a shelf cloud associated with a gust front, Heather. It's downdrafts/outflow causing it.

Thanks Meso - it looked quite spectacular - like creepy fingers reaching down to grab us.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

hillybilly wrote:Just 3.6mm up here so far today - missed all the cells - they've been pretty small so far so easy to go through the gaps.

Was at Sky High on Mt Dandenong when the first line came through - started with a barrage of hail/graupel and saw two crawling bolts but no good for photos with fog. Did a dash to Donna Buang where it was a rain/snow mix but not settling. Probably a degree or two to warm.

The radar is starting to look very promising with southwesterly wrap-around bands starting for form. Could be in for a very wet night ;)

BTW suspect there is a bit of bright banding on the showers, though they are quite thundery thanks to the humid low levels and the rapidly cooling uppers.
Had 15.6mm here in Warranwood and still coming down.

No wind here either on the top of the hill.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Had a report of the rain "absoloutely belting down" in Sale a while ago. I was over there shopping not long after lunch - shame to have missed it.

The sunny breaks gave us 26C before the cold change hit, just a 15 minute period of light rain providing 1mm and the odd bit of static on the radio showing storms were about somewhere nearby. Just cold with light WSW breeze atm. Baro is still sagging around at 992 hPa so the wind is still out there somewhere to kill off the low pressure.

Cross out the storms, probably the rain, so that only leaves us with a windy night to pacify a severe case of SDS.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

hillybilly wrote:Up to 8mm here now with solid rain for the last hour under the wrap around. ATM it looks really good for the eastern burbs up through the catchments.

The streams in the Upper Yarra valley were flowing strong ahead of this, so will be interesting to see if we trigger any flooding :?:
Hi DJ, I can confirm some surface flooding in Mt Evelyn and Lilydale. We are certainly positioned nicely today/tonight by the looks of things! :D
h
heatherjoan
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by heatherjoan »

Petros wrote:Had a report of the rain "absoloutely belting down" in Sale a while ago.
It did pelt down that was for sure.
D
DarkEye
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by DarkEye »

About 20mms or so (17.8mms last night, 2.4mms so far today), that cloud over Mt. Gambier looks amazing, it's been rotating all day.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Looks like it will rain all night out here, had 10mm this arvo and much more to come, hasnt let up since 4.25pm when the storm just grazed us to our North.

There will also be hail and thunder during the night, looks like an awesome night coming up. And the rain band wrapping around near Mt Gambier will also be decent too, be interesting to see what it does as tomorrows forecast here is "Isolated showers"
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Terrible weather out there, drizzling, freezing winds gusting away, no sun. Feels like June. I want summer back!!
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

heatherjoan wrote:
Petros wrote:Had a report of the rain "absoloutely belting down" in Sale a while ago.
It did pelt down that was for sure.
Sorry HJ - I was responding to your post but didnt mention it!

Some nice steady rain has set in here over past 25 mins, 4mm and its falling straight down from a light sky with no breeze around at all. Still the "calm before the storm".
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

8.3mm so far today and still raining. Finally got all the weather station software sorted and now on Weather Underground. I can even have the laptop linked to main data file without stuffing things up.
I've had about 25mm since Friday about 1pm. That's when everything was hooked up and working right.
Interesting to note Belgrave: 5.6mm and Upwey: 10.4mm. Wasn't a bad guess when I though I'd just go half way on readings before I got my WS. :D
h
heatherjoan
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by heatherjoan »

Petros wrote:[
Some nice steady rain has set in here over past 25 mins, 4mm and its falling straight down from a light sky with no breeze around at all. Still the "calm before the storm".
Much the same here - light sky and a little rain. Waiting for the Xmas lights to dry a bit before we risk turning them on after the downpour. I am hoping Santa doesn't get blown off the roof tomorrow with the predicted winds.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Showery here all day!! Brilliant weather, really reminds me of a classic Summer style cold outbreak!! :D Lots of hail as well. Going to be a very wet night!
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Moderate to heavy rain here for the last 10 minutes. This event is a ripper. Now awaiting hail and some more lightning and thunder!!!
M
Monbulkian
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Monbulkian »

Finally able to update my totals here. To 9am this morning we had only 1.5mm which was surprising because we had quite a few light showers but nothing registered. We had thunder and lightning here from around 1pm and we are currently on 21mm for today and it is still raining quite heavily. So:

Event total (so far): 40.5mm
MTD:129mm
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Nice to see you giving me a run for some of this rainfall Sis! Should be another 10-20mm overnight up there. Certainly one of the wetter spots in the Dandenongs!!

21mm here in Warranwood with rain falling but not heavy. Watching it pour back over towards Knox. Should be atleast 20-25mm there also. Looks convective again over the bay with heavy rain developing.

Might be some thunderstorms overnight as the coldest air moves in and the SW winds become established.

MTD here at Warranwood is 110mm.
Knox MTD I will find out tomorrow.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Had some heavy showers here about 1pm with thunder and small hail. Just 5mm's in the gauge though. No rain since 1.30pm, these current showers are missing me. Mtd 102mm's.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

HJ.. great pics posted earlier, well done..

35mm system..

good to see the rain doesnt follow Karl, it now is his sister that is hogging the rain totals.
ausmammal.. well done on getting set up..
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Karl Lijnders wrote:...............
Might be some thunderstorms overnight as the coldest air moves in and the SW winds become established.
Karl - is 30mm+ still a possibility for us out in central Gippy?

Light drizzle here atm, calm and waiting for the stormy night ahead.
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

Yet another belting shower coming through, heaviest of the day for me. Has a touch of small hail in it but very heavy rain.