Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC - Showers & Possible Storms Oct 5-9 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Re: VIC - Showers & Possible Storms Oct 5-9 2011

Post by crikey »

For all you Bendigo and macedon stormchasers. The sky has changed dramatically in the space of an hour here in Dunolly and we have some dark nasty storm cells developing.One very close to us that will go toward Maryborough ( just seem some lightning out west no to far) . Things darkening quickly.
Clouds are travelling at snails pace.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

thanks for the heads up crikey. Im stuck at home, but will keep my eyes on the horizon. Not sure if it will make the distance now the suns gone down though.....
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
typhoon29
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by typhoon29 »

currently on a mini chase out at Napoleons watching a 'train' of storms move west to east south of here. Good amount of CGs and plenty of thunder.
Ballarat, Home of the Anti-Thunderstorm Shield!
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Must have been a dreadful inconvenience having that airport there. :D

Shes coming to me now. Womt be anything in it, just a few spots.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

I went out towards Maldon and had a look at the storm that's now dieing east of Maryborough. Looked quite nice, could make out a shelf cloud, but just couldn't get as close as I would have like due to the lack of roads.

Will have a few more pics after I've processed them.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Loving all the pics and reports, thanks for posting everyone :D Shell, was after 5pm, probably about 5.15? Yep, definite cracker! Looked to ground itself just to our west somewhere among the houses off Dorset Rd south of the railway station, we were around Pine or Tulip Crescent? Was a brilliant, blinding flash and very loud!
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Hamlan » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:25 pm wrote:
Hamlan wrote:
I love it when another chaser is out on a storm i've watched on radar! hope you got some good shots.
The pics are ok (really needed my 17-85mm lens which is at Canon), but it was good considering how things looked a hour or two earlier. Haze was bad and when I saw that cell further to the SW the road options south of that Brisbane national park are not the best. Checking pics now
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Steady soaking rain for the last couple of hours, would have to be 5-10mm I reckon, probably more at the lower end. Just guessing though.

Looks like a wet spring may be on the way if these sort of patterns keep up. :)
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Andrew, I've had a look at the latest ENSO graphs from the BOM, NOAA and UNISYS, and they all definitely indicate we are in La Nina now as far as I can see.
Cheers, Geoff. :)
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

So I totally changed my mind about going south and ended up on the Kyneton / Macedon cell at about 5pm. Just made it in time to watch it slip right over the top of me. Lots of lightning, and a couple of nice close flangs.

Wasn't trying too hard to photograph the event, but managed to capture this:

Happy with the first real chase of the season, and the first time I made an intercept :)
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Thunder again, but where is it? Can't be from the CBD from here surely?
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

It's the cell that had just developed west of Moorabbin, pretty good rumbling thunder here.
Last edited by AUS_Twisted on Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

Lots of distant rumbling here too, and assumed it was from Moorabbin cell. No rain yet, everything has missed me today except 3 drops around 6ish.
Online weather station: http://www.stormygirl.net/wx/
t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

Well parts of Mount Evelyn got the storm that Lilly found. Ended up with 17mm of rain in 25 mins, 24mm for the day so far. Max rate was 54mm/h according to the AWS. :o Enough to soak me as I rode back to work. :x Were a few good CGs quite close too.
Just had 2 big rumbles here and the rain has started again.
Lets hope we have some more of these next week when I am on holiday and can enjoy them.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Must have been the small cell that's just appeared over us, pouring now and still thunder rumbling around. Cells popping up all over the show, and some strange movement too, most heading west to east, others south to north. :?
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Geoff » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:14 pm wrote:
Geoff wrote:Thunder again, but where is it? Can't be from the CBD from here surely?
Thats another right near your area
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Good catch Chris! Fabulous pics everyone. Lily that would have been scary. Not much has happened in Ferny Creek today. Heard the thunder over Geoffs way but we only got a few drops of rain and dark skies. Just had a brief burst of rain then for a minute
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Are you getting this one Robyn, it's absolutely pouring down here again. The radar is simply not picking it up at all.
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

Hey guys! :)

Judging by what I've read it looks as though many of you managed to get in on the action! Great pics there btw ;)

Here's my story...

I went out with some relatives up to Ridge Road about 5PM, after repeatedly alternating between the radar and the view of the unfolding weather to the north. Upon arrival I spent approx. 30 minutes out in the open filming and photographing two separate cells, one stationed just north of Monbulk and another larger one over the Mount Dandenong/Lilydale area, both of which were producing heavy rain and a fair amount of thunder (caught only a few flashes of lighning & CGs on camera though).

While up there watching the initial performance I witnessed the development of a third storm right over Monbulk. A MASSIVE updraft tower rose up into the heavens so quickly it was almost like watching a timelapse video!! :D A nice dark RFB was developing right underneath the updraft, and I spotted an interesting funnel-shaped lowering. Alas it was not a tornado funnel because I saw no sign of rotation.

My folks and I decided to then head up to SkyHigh Mount Dandenong for a bit, only stayed up there for about 10 minutes or so. During the stay (spent entirely in the car) and the trip there and back it was raining, at times quite heavily, especially around Sassafras and Olinda, a bit of minor flooding on the roads here and there.

On the way back home after 6PM, we stopped along along Glenfern Road in Upwey/Upper Ferntree Gully, where heavy rain was still falling as a couple of new cells popped up around Oakleigh and Scoresby.

Would share my footage if I could, hope you guys don't mind if you wait until my future weather/storm chasing website (currently in early stages of planning) is finally ready. :)

Anyway, I thought the bulk of today's activity would've ended after sunset (as typically happens in spring/summer seabreeze thunderstorm events), but a few cells seem to be popping up around Dandenong, Morrabbin, and Carrum, so could be another round of thunder and lightning :D
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by wolfcat »

Some very nice rumbles here in Bentleigh East...

Problem was the dry spot of the house faces the wrong way to get any on film ( note: by film I mean SD Card... showing my age again )

Ah well... still looking promising for the rest of the season.