Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Rain/Storm event: 29th Nov - 5th Dec (Obs)

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Rain/Storm event: 29th Nov - 5th Dec (Obs)

Post by Anthony Violi »

That supercellular atomic mothership of a storm is enormous!! Check out the visual satelitte, amazing.

Has not moved far, cant wait to hear the obs.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Yes Mothership or Fathership Anthony it looks enormous from here!!
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

Interesting, some fluffy Cu to the SE has started to become a little bulkier and darker, and definitely more of it. Nothing will come if it but it is interesting just to watch develop
g
greensyboy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by greensyboy »

More convection going up to my west. I'm off to Windy hill in Greensborough if anyone is in the area.
Severe Weather Enthusiast
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

This was from midday, http://www.australianweathernews.com/ch ... rne_01.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and for the state, http://www.australianweathernews.com/ch ... ria_01.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the 1pm charts haven't updated yet but it explains why it's going crazy over there. I'd love to see what the updated chart looks like. I'm presuming the convergence has really tightened up. The rain/hail/flooding must be out of control.

Just hit 30c here, with a very slight ESE'ly.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Don't rule out the chance Harley. Maybe a little bit later.

As for my choice to go NE yesterday was based on a hunch and it was a bust. Well you win some and you loose some, but still enjoyed myself out there. Fantastic day of travelling.

I am just loving this weather, and loving it even more now! What a brilliant afternoon for the C ranges.

There is definite convergence over the outer NW suburbs so Baccus Marsh is a shot this late afternoon.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Theres a pocket of upper colder air in that region today where the storms have fired already EC picked this up well this morning with its 500hPa charts

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts ... 0120412!!/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Storms are moving NW. They started out drifting mainly south to north but a definite flow has established now. I have only ever seen storms moving in this direction once or twice before. I wonder if the rapidly warming bay (now almost 20C) has some sort of effect on development later on with any convergence that sets up and even this evening and tonight? With a SE flow there could be enhancement of storms on the west central ranges. Not an expert opinion though.

EDIT: I should mention how cool it is here today. Just 21.5C at the moment and it has only got to 23C as a maximum so far.
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

Anvil is almost over my house , also I can see a green tinge in the middle of and very dark core.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Northern sky is full of mammatus and cirrus. Storms are moving away from here but they were such beasts that we have got under some of the structure.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

It is a massive thunderstorm nonetheless, and as Andrew mentioned, moving NW which is what is forecast.

Further thunderstorms likely over the southwest in coming hours. They will tend to move S west of Ararat.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Hail to 2cm has been recorded near daylesford at 1.30pm according to the lastest severe thunderstorm
warning and also flash flooding. Cirus and mammatus is now over my house can now see the base.
Last edited by Supercellimpact on Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

photos.....! more show less tell....!
brayden
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by brayden »

Avatar goes well with that statement Ryan! lol

What great days you guys been getting! not that its vic obs, Perth getting some slight showers around the 23c mark, been good to get some cu for obs at the station, watching cricket too is good

cheers
"I'm in with the sane, does that make me Insane?"
"I lycra like that"
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

I decided not to pursue them nw. I was in Sunbury when they began moving.
I'm now at the airport obs carpark taking a few snaps, but getting tired of the garden variety 737s.
Apparently Brad's in pursuit of the storms though.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Just went outside to check on conditions. I can see the Ballarat system to my far NNE. I then checked southeast of me and wow. One massive tower shooting right up, was not there an hour ago. This is definitely going to develop into a thunderstorm. Will be on radar shortly to my southeast, so near Port Campbell something will pop up on radar soon. Otherwise, more stuff to my northwest. Environment is very unstable, they could develop anywhere. I think the cell to my southeast is moving further southeast though, so probably want track back my way.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

The cell to the front has now colapesed.. DAMN IT
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Wow, beutiful mammatus !
M
Monbulkian
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Monbulkian »

Just caught up on 15 pages in this thread, looks like everyone has been quite busy. :)

Have been looking through all the smiley's. This was the closest to what I have been searching for :cat: Lot's of claws out! Maybe someone can get a smiley for that! ;)

Enjoying all the pics and the updates on what's happening. Don't have a clue about the technical side of weather development (or the political situation! :P ) but it's great to hear what's happening with the weather around the state.

Now for an obs, beautiful blue sky and bright sunshine here! Aaah Victoria, never boring when it comes to weather! 8-) :P
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

On a seperate note, Adelaide is in danger of copping the smacking of a lifetime this arvo.

That area of thunderstorms is amazing, and almost atthe point where the flow will shift from the NE, as it has done with the stuff down on the far west coast.

Set us up here for a couple of very interesting days.

BTW today reminds me of January's storms this year which hung around Macedon and Kilmore, and overtook the whole sky, and barely moved.

Andrew may remember but i think it was Jan 2 ?
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com