Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria - Tropical rain event - February 2nd-8th 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Victoria - Tropical rain event - February 2nd-8th 2010

Post by HarleyB »

I find it astounding that the Goulburn River doesnt have a flood warning on it, given the Sunday Creek is about to peak way above the Major Flood level. Will report my total later on tonight, then on to next week, with more rainfall predicted with no hot or particularly long dry spell to dry out catchments properly.
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

Well here we had 101mm for the event and 278 for the year. Amazing Stuff !!
A
Alexia
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Alexia »

Another 45mm rain since 0900hrs. Total this system so far 131mm. Like a lot of people we are very wet but haven't caused any big problems.Is really amazing as February is noted to be our dryest month ave. is 34mm
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Up to about 10mm in those showers which are still on and off with the front. I feel freezing tonight after all the previous warm nights. Its 12 degrees outside!!
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

schitzengiggles wrote:Rain yesterday on the hill was like this. Even in a flat, unwooded area as I have so accurately depicted in fig 1. you stood a snowball's chance in hell of getting an accurate reading.
Auto or manual, in those conditions you're always going to struggle.
Guess i was very lucky. For nearly all this the rain just came straight down. I think the highest wind i got was about 12kph. I'm a bit more in a valley here than up on the high side of Mt D. And we did get a long yellow band that just trained itself over me so that bumped up totals alot imo.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Melbourne Water are refusing to provide information to ABC Radio (according the the announcer) regarding the imminent inundation of their waterways in the Koo Wee Rup/ Cora Lynn area. The hydrologist with the BoM has just been interviewed and has said that while they will issue warnings on behalf of Melbourne Water, they are not able to provide specific information regarding the floods in this area. Last opportunity to leave the area will be at around 11pm, roads are about to be closed. ABC reports the worst floods in 40 years in the area. See the warnings thread for more info, or refer to the BoM Warning for Bunyip River http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDV36330.txt
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

This morning our event tally was 37mm, when I got home at 5pm, another 12mm had accumulated, and now back home again after going out in Sale (light rain stopped soon after we got there 7pm) there was another 4.5mm in the gauge. All over now, but a FANTASTIC 53.5mm accumulation in a little under 48 hrs and buggerall run-off. Happy campers here at Maffra. For 2 weeks our golf course will match the best in Australia (totally un-biased opinion). Lake Glenmaggie will probably re-fill from its current 87% and the Gipplsand Lakes should get a light purge to allay the onset of blue-green algae. All good, albiet at the expense of our northern folk flooded out again, must be very hard. All Aussies though, will be happy to see a decent flood of the Murray R downstream of Mildura which surely must occur as a result of the last 3 days rain. :D :D :D

Now to start looking for the next rain event (and to watch Yasi finish up where-ever).....
Tempest
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Tempest »

Lily wrote:Melbourne Water are refusing to provide information to ABC Radio (according the the announcer) regarding the imminent inundation of their waterways in the Koo Wee Rup/ Cora Lynn area. The hydrologist with the BoM has just been interviewed and has said that while they will issue warnings on behalf of Melbourne Water, they are not able to provide specific information regarding the floods in this area. Last opportunity to leave the area will be at around 11pm, roads are about to be closed. ABC reports the worst floods in 40 years in the area. See the warnings thread for more info, or refer to the BoM Warning for Bunyip River http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDV36330.txt
My ex and my son are in Garfield about 1km south of the railway line and roughly 2km north of the Bunyip river (Iona). Water is ankle deep in their bungalow and almost up to the floor level of the main house. Paddocks are thigh deep. Their next door neighbours loaded up their miniature ponies last night and evacuated before the worst of it hit. My guess is Melbourne water are refusing to talk because the drainage system in the area has been grossly neglected over the last 10 years or so and now they're about to see the results of that neglect.

I tried to drive out there this afternoon to pick up my son and his girlfriend who had waded up to the main street to meet me. Both the freeway and Princes Hwy were blocked off and didn't get any further than the top end of Beaconsfield before being told by police to turn around and go back home! From the sounds of it it's a real mess out that way.
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

I think Melbourne could be in for a drizzly few days. Does anyone agree with me or don't think so?

I will check the rain guage at midnight. The report on how much I had
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

LOL Ryan, great illustrations
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

197.1mm for the event
299.97mm ytd should crack the 300mm with drizzle overnight
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria - Tropical rain event - Early February (dates T

Post by I_Love_Storms »

I_Love_Storms wrote:
Petros wrote:.... and I might start a thread called "it might rain in April 2011" - couldnt be wrong could I?
Petros, there is more substance to this than that. Just give it a few days.
Had to dig this up, sorry Petros :D
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

Anyone think the rain band down Colac way will reach us here.
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

We had 33.5mm yesterday, so adding up to an event total of....... 72.6mm excellent, wonderful & magnificent total in anyone's books over a 48 hour period. :D

BTW Early signs are there for another 20mm's for our region as a bare minimum over a four or 5 days period for next week. Thats enough of that though until a new thread's created.
w
wobbie
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by wobbie »

Insane totals around here too, lost track due to overflowing rain gauge. Nice and chilly now, and stuck under a stream of showers, enough already!
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

Don't know if anyone's posted this site before, but you can see the satelite images of the recent flooding at this site http://www.nearmap.com/
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

Also on Victoria Police's twitter which can be found here: http://twitter.com/#!/victoriapolice
Possible Dam Breech WARNING from SES for Butterfield & Uren Rds Emerald. Stewart Rd Dam MAY breech over night, enact your emergency plan.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

norfolk wrote:was expecting 100mm by now. I thought it was going to be a week of humid and wet weather. Now its probably only going to be 1 or 2 days? I am slightly disappointed
In fairness ILS, Tony came out with this one a bit early.

And just wondering DJ if your browning off problem has been solved? I think it should be ok now.

Heavy shower just rolled through here, looks like another 2.4mm overnight, 131.6 for the event.

Also good to see it exceeded our expectations, and EC was superb not just with the figures but had the locations within 50kms which was superb.

GFS took until Friday morning to come on which i dont understand at all given every other model had it sorted early in the week.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Happy to debate in climatology DJ on this, as im really starting to get sick and tired of all the alarmism.

The sst should be at there warmest after an El Nino on the back end of the warm PDO.

The moisture came from Darwin, it should be 65mm PW.

The difference is the upper troughs have gained intensity, as can be seen by all the rain events since July, and there has been stacks. Most delivering over 100mm. Thats the key, without the upper troughs being strong we would be back to 2007 heatwave conditions.

Last year the SST were also high and we were lucky to see any activity in the tropics re TCs. Last March we had massive Dps, records in fact in Melbourne, with no rain for over a week. The weather is evolving, the wet weather is returning as the earth cools and the upper trough become much stronger.

I expect this sort of flooding and damage to become regular now whilst this continues.

I can go on and on, and happy to do so in climatology, but any inference that man made global warming is responsible is laughable.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
karenamelia
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by karenamelia »

Melbourne water will not do any thing about the flooding problems Our son lives on 1 of there creeks They do nothing to help with the flooding I have been there when they inspected it This week all the people affected are going to see if anything will be done The creek flooded about 5 houses They are not happy :(
karen in Horsham Vic